Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #1
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Trapunto Quilting?

No seriously, this is on the right forum.

So I started doing hand embroidery for my Twilight Princess Zelda dress a while back but frankly, it didn't look right and I'm way too novice at embroidery to do such a thing. (It was for those little harp shaped designs at the bottom)

Well recently I've gotten in to quilting and I'm getting really good at it. When looking at the designs again, they really just look like raised portions of that particular fabric so it got me thinking: What about Trapunto Quilting?

Basically it creates an effect like this:

http://www.stitchfancy.com/2012/09/0...ique-tutorial/ is a tutorial for it.

So I wonder, how would I hide the batting if I do this at the bottom of a dress?
Is this even advisable?
What sort of batting should I use?
I'm thinking I'm going to have to do this before the dress is sewn together....

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
lemuries

Please keep in mind that quilting the dress will change the silhouette and the movement of the skirt. Please look at this example from around 1860 of a quilted petticoat.

I assume with Trapunto that you wouldn't have to have a quilting layer for anything but the harp patterns, but if that's not true, you are NOT going to be able to have those inverted box pleats.

I don't see where the design is raised. It looks more like white damask fabric to me (white on white brocade fabric where the weft is shiny and the warp threads are matte).

Could you use an extremely thin (or no) batting to quilt the harp designs into the skirt fabric, maybe to a thin lining fabric?
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Penlowe

Like the idea, but I agree any multiple layering around the hem will play havoc with your box pleats. If you are comfortable with lots of machine sewing you could just do tonal stitching to create those patterns (i.e. just stitching on the single layer of fabric), it will be subtle, but really elegant. If you are using fabric with a sheen, use matte thread and vice versa, it will make the detail stand out more.
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

The designs around the edge of the skirt are flat, and there's really nothing in there to give me any idea that they are raised at all so I don't see trapunto being appropriate here. Another thing to consider is that this same style of motif also exists on her gloves, which means you would have to match whatever you do for the skirt on the gloves - and doing trapunto there would just look bizarre. It would kill the elegance of this design, in my opinion.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Well this was a 4 am idea. Thought I'd try to approach something in a different way XD It was fun to talk through

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Unread 01-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

You know, this would look so cool that I've been racking my brain for some way it COULD work, and I think I've figured it out. It would mean changing the structure of the box pleats, mostly.

If you secured the pleats down to where you start to see parting in the ref image (knee level, approx) and edge-stitch the pleats to secure the folds from that point down, you could probably still get a crisp edge even with an extra layer of (thin) backing fabric. No batting in those seams, of course--trim it just shy of the seam and hand-tack it to the backing instead. Functionally, the skirt would be an A-line until the knee. You could also use a gored A-line skirt pattern to start with, and add godets into the seams for pleats. You'd still probably need to edge-stitch though. And this configuration requires that the trapunto only be on the outermost or innermost surfaces of the pleats, but in the image it's really only visible on the outermost anyway.

I think this would look amazing and be a fun thing to know, and I hope you decide to do it! Doing trapunto on gloves would be odd and gratuitous, I agree, but having the same motif executed in a different medium would look good. Trapunto on the skirt, embroidery/applique on the gloves...deluxe. Princessy.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 01-09-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

If I carried it over to the sleeves, I'd have to use very, very light batting to get it to be just slightly raised and identifiable only because of the stitching. Maybe even just line them and give it a very tiny stitch that would be just enough to define the shape.

For the skirt, I do like your idea Mango Chutney. The batting wouldn't extend toward the seams. Mostly because it would just be under the design. I think I could still probably use the original dress shape. Again tiny stitches may come in to play here and just enough batting that it raises the design just slightly. I'm not looking for the same severity as the pillow linked. Just something Subtle that gave it a bit of texture. Not that it would be visible in pictures XD

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Just because the designs are flat in the reference pictures doesn't mean that you couldn't make them raised. In theory, I think it would look fine. I would be concerned about weight though. Batting might not weigh much, but it does weigh something, so now you have an uneven distribution of weight around your hem. The harp-like areas might sag in a bit. Then again, they might not - but I'd do some testing before spending a lot of time on it. I once made a dress that had an all over embroidery pattern on the godets, and the weight and texture of the thread was enough to skew the hemline. Hem weights improved it, but it wasn't perfect.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Just because the designs are flat in the reference pictures doesn't mean that you couldn't make them raised. In theory, I think it would look fine. I would be concerned about weight though. Batting might not weigh much, but it does weigh something, so now you have an uneven distribution of weight around your hem. The harp-like areas might sag in a bit. Then again, they might not - but I'd do some testing before spending a lot of time on it. I once made a dress that had an all over embroidery pattern on the godets, and the weight and texture of the thread was enough to skew the hemline. Hem weights improved it, but it wasn't perfect.
That's a good point.

What if I used interfacing on the faces of the pleats? Maybe medium weight to give what would need to be fairly light fabric to get the effect I want but to give it a bit more uspport?

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Unread 01-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesra View Post
What if I used interfacing on the faces of the pleats? Maybe medium weight to give what would need to be fairly light fabric to get the effect I want but to give it a bit more uspport?
Hard to say. I once made a long coat where I interfaced the front and back skirts differently and, again, I had problems with the drape. I solved that one (mostly) with horsehair braid but that wouldn't work with pleats. I would probably experiment by tacking some pieces of batting to the fabric, approximating the overall distribution and seeing how things go. I agree with Mango that the effect would be nice - as long as the weight isn't an issue. Since you'd be using fairly small amounts of batting, you might be o.k. But small differences in weight can make a difference to the drape and cause the skirt to behave in unexpected ways.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Alright! So I did a trial run. Couple things: you can kind of see the pencil used to make the pattern.

Next time I think I'm going to use actual tear away stabilizer (lol) and work on my line work...but what do you think?

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Unread 02-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
Penlowe

alternatives to pencil:
You can get disappearing ink fabric pens.
You can draw on the stabilizer and work upside down.
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
lemuries

I think it looks beautiful
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

The pencil was just for the test run I wasn't too particularly concerned with it being visible at the time.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Unread 02-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #15
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

*nudges this back to the first page...*

Remaking Season 3 Azula.