Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
joshiemae
Amazonian Princess

Making the waistband of a fitted skirt larger?

I have a costume that is just slightly too snug around my waist. It a basic circle skirt, but it has a zipper up one side as well as detailing the would be hard to remove. I don't know much about sewing, but I was wondering if I could apply this tutorial to the side without the zipper just to give an inch more for my waist. And would it unbalance the skirt if I only inserted a triangle on one side?

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd happily listen as well.
joshiemae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Penlowe

no because what you have is a circle skirt and not a straight cut seam like on pants. Putting a wedge into a circle skirt would create an ugly lump.

You can try moving the button/ hook & eye to give you a little more breathing room right at the zipper opening. It only gives you about 1/2" but it might be enough. I have done this exact fix several times.

If you need something closer to 2" more than you have, reconstructing the waistband is the proper way to do it (and it might be overwhelming for a less experience sewist). Basically, take the waist band off completely (by taking out stitches, not cutting it off), open it up to re-sew the pieces to allow maximum fabric usage, re-attach the waistband lower on the fabric by about 1/2", thus executing the math magic of making the circumference of the waistband bigger.
If the skirt is satin all those ripped stitches in the waistband will leave marks (but not on the body of the skirt, those will be covered by the new waistband placement).
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
joshiemae
Amazonian Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
no because what you have is a circle skirt and not a straight cut seam like on pants. Putting a wedge into a circle skirt would create an ugly lump.

You can try moving the button/ hook & eye to give you a little more breathing room right at the zipper opening. It only gives you about 1/2" but it might be enough. I have done this exact fix several times.

If you need something closer to 2" more than you have, reconstructing the waistband is the proper way to do it (and it might be overwhelming for a less experience sewist). Basically, take the waist band off completely (by taking out stitches, not cutting it off), open it up to re-sew the pieces to allow maximum fabric usage, re-attach the waistband lower on the fabric by about 1/2", thus executing the math magic of making the circumference of the waistband bigger.
If the skirt is satin all those ripped stitches in the waistband will leave marks (but not on the body of the skirt, those will be covered by the new waistband placement).
I figured it might do something like that, but I wanted to check.
I can close it completely, but it ends up being extremely tight. Moving the hook and eye is probably the best choice.

Thank you.

"The makeup is simply an extension of the personality and colors, clothing, makeup all express something." -Gene Simmons

2014 Costumes:
Stocking Anarchy (Transformation/Sailor Lolita)
Gijinka Schoolgirl Puppycat
Yang Xiao Long
Rei Ryugazaki
Cons planned:
ROFcon - AMA - Otakon - Nekocon
joshiemae is offline   Reply With Quote