Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

When did you become a Lolita?

I was just curious as to when most here started into the Lolita style. Now when I started back in 1979, yes I said 1979, we didn't call it Lolita. Although I am male to female transgender I spent the first 12 years of my life as female. Even my school uniform was a blue jumper with white tights and Mary Jane shoes. That is pretty much a Lolita style. I have seen pictures of me from 79-87 when I wore flowery dresses, which went to the knees, petticoats, white tights or socks and mostly black Mary Jane shoes. Sometimes with a slight heel. My grandma said girls dressed like that as far back as the 1950's. I pretty much was entirely like that until 1987 when my dad came to get me and my brother and all hell broke loose. I only got back into it about 3 years ago since my reverting again. I would never call myself a professional by any means. In my opinion a professional in anything needs about 20 years experience before they have that right to call themselves that. I mean I have 15 years experience with nuclear reactor design and containment.. yet I am no professional. I think I will always be a novice at something. We never stop learning right? I just find it really strange that some Lolita that have been doing it for 3 or so years think they are demigods or something. To me its not about fashion. It's about attitude. But what do I know as far as I am concerned I am still a Noobette lol

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
konekoanni

Well, there's a big difference between girls' clothing and Lolita, though of course we can all see the similarities with the full skirts, peter pan collars, and embellishments. Lolita has a very specific aesthetic that does take some time and research to really get into.

I got into the fashion in 2006, after reading the English translation of Kamikaze Girls. I looked up the brand in the book (BABY THE STARS SHINE BRIGHT) and fell in love. The first couple of years were a bit rocky and ita, but there is always room for improvement! I bought my first brand dress in 2007 (BABY, of course) and by 2008 I was an active member of a local community, and wore mostly Sweet styles.

In the last three years I've become a moderator of our local community, and slowly been transitioning from Sweet styles to Classic and Gothic. I wear a mix of handmade, Japanese brands, and indie brands (Chinese and Korean).

Seven years ago, it was difficult to buy online--many brands did not ship overseas or accept easy payment methods (anyone else remember when the only way to buy from BABY was with an international money order?). The community has grown and changed a lot, and the style has evolved, too. I'm probably what a lot of people would call an elitist, but that's because I deeply care about the fashion, and how it's seen by the rest of the world. I also love helping beginners and seeing the local and online groups grow!

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 100% - AX 2014
Classic Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon S] 100% - AX 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 35% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - PMX 2014

ACP | blog | facebook | deviantART | tumblr | worldcosplay
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

He he no harm as long as you don't force your views onto others right? Me I personally think its more about the fun then the fashion. I believe if you don't have fun doing something like I use to have fun doing living history, then there is no point in doing it. I prefer the Gothic style as it suits my Victorian and medieval outfits the most. I did not think i could ever do a sweet or classic style again. The biggest problem I find about most of the cosplay shops online now is they almost all sell the exact same things. It's like they are just small home businesses that grab a bunch of pictures from everyone else, take orders and walk down to a generic factory that makes it all for all of these places at the same time. Being an eccentric I prefer anything that is different from the rest of society even if it stands out. I could care less anymore if I stand out. My main focus now is my happiness. I would make things myself but my last job has pretty much killed my hands. oo I cant wait till my blue Victorian ball gown gets here it will be my third one. Hardest part is getting the hoop size right I find. There is no harm in helping and guiding others its the type that push it too far I cant stand. The idea is to get more into it, not chase them away right? SCA has a bad habit of chasing people away, well in Labrador anyhow.

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:

Lolita:

Anime:
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
redsheep

I got interested around 2007/2008, became more informed on the fashion a year or two later, but only just this year got my first dress. Luckily for me, I waited so long to purchase that I got more research in and I like to think I skipped the ita phase. My main problem right now is coordinating my one dress with things I already own to ake more than one outfit. At least until I can get myself a second or third piece.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
MaiCosplay

When I was born. But no I've always being interested in gothic/lolita culture since high school (2006-2011) middle school even (2003-2006). Always putting on gothic make-up and accesories (bridesmaid thead pieces, and headbands). All my friends love tea parties and when my friends put on a lolita dress well practically every week. I wanted to go to hot-topic so bad and buy one. But I couldn't it was too far away and I don't think my family at the time would approve. Maybe now that I'm older I can go full lolita and wear it everywhere. <3

Last edited by MaiCosplay : 01-18-2014 at 12:15 AM.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I find the style of the late 70's and early 80's is almost ithe same as classic lolita. I was digging through a few photos of the era that actually survived and was quite amazed at the similularities. Gah I feel old. I have alwayts been more a medieval and victorian gothic type. I really hate modern gothic. It just doesn't tickle my fancy. My most favourite is my 14th century gothic outfit but that is not Lolita lol. The only 2 Lolita gothic i have right now is a big aristocrat ballgown i use in steampunk events and a 2 piece to the knees black dress tiwh a gazillion frilly layers it seems. Man I love that style. I was afraid to dare try the sweet style until fairly recently. I didn't think I could do it honestly

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:

Lolita:

Anime:
Unread 01-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

My first look/interest came after watching the movie Kamikaze Girl, back in the early 2000s. But I didn't start actually wearing it until last year.

I run Plushie workshops at local conventions. The organizers of one of these cons asked me to dress in Lolita to promo the Fashion..as they had invested a full section to expo in 2013. I was more than willing in dive in! I did my research and was even allowed to join the fashion show. It was such a great experience I have since stop wearing costumes to cons and just wear Lolita.

As I have a professional job I can't wear it every day (though I would love to!) I have to keep it to cons or meet ups, sadly.

So far, I have only done sweet Lolita. My next con, this weekend, will be my first time doing courty-style.

Last edited by mokulen22 : 01-16-2014 at 01:01 PM.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #8
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

What we call Lolita fashion these days differs a bit from the fashions in the 70's. Here's an interesting article showing the evolution of the fashion:

http://fyeahlolita.blogspot.com/2010...s-and-70s.html

Classic Lolita does bear a strong resemblance to the prairie dresses that were popular in the 70's. There's a lot of retro inspirations in there as well. But there's definitely a difference since it came about and evolved to be what it is now.

I've known about Lolita fashion for a several years but didn't get into wearing it until about two years ago. It started out as a temporary replacement for cosplay since I just wanted a break from it but wanted to wear something other than plain clothes and... well... yeah.
Unread 02-04-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
konekoanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
What we call Lolita fashion these days differs a bit from the fashions in the 70's. Here's an interesting article showing the evolution of the fashion.
Yup, and what might have been called Lolita in the late 70's/early 80's was brands like Pink House, which still have a very "Little House on the Prairie" vibe, and would probably be considered more mori now. Which is fine, since fashion breathes and evolves, but it's definitely different from the Lolita of the late 90's/00's, which is what the current fashions are based on.

And of course since Lolita as a style draws heavily from historical influences (primarily French Rococo and English Victorian) there is a certain timelessness to it.

But, there are things that are specific to the fashion, so you can't really lump it all in together. Same with little girls' clothing--they share common influences, but are different things, so it's really not accurate to say that you were a "Lolita since you were a little girl". It's completely different.

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 100% - AX 2014
Classic Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon S] 100% - AX 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 35% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - PMX 2014

ACP | blog | facebook | deviantART | tumblr | worldcosplay
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 03:02 AM   #10
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

Wow you guys make me feel ancient lol

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:

Lolita:

Anime:
Unread 06-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Clementine
I do as I please.

I don't think you can really consider the way you were dressed as a child lolita...

Anyway, I've been interested in lolita for a little while, but didn't buy my first lolita pieces until last month. I'm still very new but I'm learning!
Friday: Kraehe (Swan Lake variation) (Princess Tutu)
Saturday: Satsuki Kiryuin (awakened Junketsu) (Kill La Kill)
Sunday: Kraehe (rehearsal outfit) (Princess Tutu)

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (30%)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill) (20%)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 02:39 AM   #12
Moonsong
daughter of evil

I first became interested back in 2006/2007 but due to financial reasons I was not able to begin buying things until the past three years or so. I was also much too big to fit into brand dresses, but I have since lost weight and can fit comfortably into most dresses with shirring in the back. My closet of main pieces is still very small for the same reason - Lolita is clearly not my only hobby, so I divide my money between important things, cosplay and lolita.

I try to focus on trying to make the outfits I have look their best rather than collecting a million different dresses, as I unfortunately don't get to wear this fashion as much as I would like. Wearing it around my house is kind of pointless because I have two large dogs, and I live rather far from both of the communities in my state, but I do try to get out to events a few times per year.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

Ya I been trying to improve what I have now rather then getting more. I don't have the room or the money to get more stuff right now. I just revamped my Gothic one actually adding a waspie corset I had around. I guess the proper term for me is Brolita lol

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:

Lolita:

Anime:
Unread 06-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
Clementine
I do as I please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice MacLeod View Post
Ya I been trying to improve what I have now rather then getting more. I don't have the room or the money to get more stuff right now. I just revamped my Gothic one actually adding a waspie corset I had around. I guess the proper term for me is Brolita lol
If you're a MtF transgender that makes you a woman. Brolita is a term for males who dress up in lolita. If you consider yourself to be a woman, then you are a woman, and therefore not a brolita.
Friday: Kraehe (Swan Lake variation) (Princess Tutu)
Saturday: Satsuki Kiryuin (awakened Junketsu) (Kill La Kill)
Sunday: Kraehe (rehearsal outfit) (Princess Tutu)

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (30%)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill) (20%)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

Thats what I figured yet I get called a brolita and was unsure what it meant lol. I am technically an xxyy i have no true gender but i prefer to be female

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:

Lolita:

Anime: