Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 04-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #106
siyrean

well my penguindrum is basically done, with the exception of the arm poof thingy's which I can't for the life of me figure out how to do ><

I still need to touch up the paint to my steampunk gear and buy fresh fishtubing for it (oh steampunk, how I love thee)

I also wanted to do some alterations to my Cersei dress since I think the pattern I used was sized wrong or something cause the underdress just aint right.

right now i'm feeling optimistic. For once I don't think i'll be sewing in the car on the way there, and may actually get some sleep.
ColossalCon - Mai - Avatar tLA +swimsuit, Drunk!Yuuri - YoI, Mito - FoodWars
DragonCon - Johanna - HungerGames bunnyhop, Yuuri - YoINight, Undyne - Undertale, Dolores - WestWorld, Drunk!Yuuri - YoI
BeachCityCon - JasperTale
Teslacon - Steampunk
siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #107
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

^ The Princess of the Crystal puffs need a stiffener to get those large rolls in the fabric. But It's like Elizabethan collars.

http://mrsbertinsjewelrybox.blogspot...than-ruff.html
http://www.wyrdrune.com/Costume/inde...dex.html~right

I've also seen a few cosplayers do boxed structures on their sleeves.
http://cosplayidol.otakuhouse.com/20...u-penguindrum/

Anime North '18
Draculaura collector doll 2015 - FRI
Steven Universe - Rose Quartz SAT - & SUN

FanExpo '18
Rose Quartz
Boris the Wolf

Future cosplays/cons:
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary - (AN 2019 or Costume-con 38)
Lagertha - Vikings, Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 04-22-2014 at 01:23 PM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #108
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

FUCK, my mother has no god dam concept of RUSH SHIP THIS I NEED IT NOW. The Schala cosplay I told her to rush ship to me on Tuesday, she only sent on Thursday, claimed it would be here today, and guess who's mailbox is totally empty? Now I'll hardly have time to even get the wig restyled (I have dance class Wednesday night and am gone from 6:30 to 9:30, and the mail comes at 2, that's IF I don't have to take a longass hike to the post office to get it) and no chance of taking in the dress, and will have to pack almost everything on Thursday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #109
may55
Just another penguin

So finally moving out of my university dorm, haven't realised how close it is. :/ I don't know if I can finish anything. Might just have to go with only 1 costume and finish the others for anime north.

Cosplays for the Year:
(Fallout 3) Vault Dwellers (Regular and Pin up edition) (20%)
Masquerade Ballgown (60%)

PENGUINS! Enough said.
may55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #110
MelColley
Illustrator

I managed to wrangle getting out of work tomorrow so thankfully I think I'll actually be able to finish my Faun costume. It was looking pretty hopeless after I stayed up till 2 am last night and barely accomplished anything. Now I feel like I can actually breathe a little bit in between working on this thing.

Best of luck to everyone else with their final days of construction!
MelColley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #111
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

WHEW, the package arrived. Turns out parcel post delivers later in the day than letter mail. And somehow the postman stuffed the three-foot box into my mailbox, it looked hilarious when I came home to see it. So now to style at least half the wig back up tonight, but it's another "Until midnight" session of sewing with Quorra. I have SO much hand sewing to finish thanks to my machine not fitting into every part of the costume/not being able to sew over every part. But after it, all I have to do is glue some circles. Then I'm FINALLY ready. So glad I have Thursday day/night to work and pack, since I live in Toronto.
Quote:
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #112
MelColley
Illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
WHEW, the package arrived. Turns out parcel post delivers later in the day than letter mail.
Glad to hear you got your costume in time
MelColley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #113
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Hugs for everybody. You can do it! YOU CAN DO EET! And just remember, if you have disasters, it's okay. Take a deep breath, see if it's still wearable, and if not, plan for the next.

I say this as somebody who had numerous breakdowns last year over my competition piece. XD It's not worth it to get too stressed out. You'll still be gorgeous. You will ALL be gorgeous and awesome and I can't wait to see all of you and take your photos!

Finally decided what to bring out of the closet. Our Sima brothers from Dynasty Warriors (aka last year's nightmare) will make an appearance on Friday, I'll bring something monstery for the Social, then we're wearing Ferid and Arshtat from Suikoden V on Saturday, and I'll have Trafalgar Law from One Piece on Sunday. We're really looking forward to seeing everyone, and in participating in Bruce Mai's video shoot for a cosplay music video!

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #114
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Took some brain-wracking to remember how I styled the monstrous thing, but now Schala's good to go (not able to take the dress in in time though, damn. Oh well, it's not TOO baggy on me, but I made it when I was about 10-15 pounds heavier than I am now and I lost most of it around my waist and I like well-fitted things. For a semi-retired costume I've had since 2011, eh, not really worth it). Luna too, and I REALLY hope I can get Quorra all done by tomorrow. My housemates are probably sick of the kitchen table being unusable for the last week.
Quote:
Unread 04-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #115
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Why must vinyl piping be so evil to my sewing machine (my machine is too basic to work lol). >_< It's not like I can't sew it I just can get it to butt up to the fabric properly with the machine so you alsways end up seeing the exposed stitch line to make the piping int he first place. *sign*

And I keep breaking my needles. The just snap in half in my fingers. O_o
They just snap like a twig randomly in my hand I guess from the stress of sewing through thick materials (I use a thin needle because thick ones are so hard to push through. )

The collar on my outer robe was going to hand stitch down like I normally do with kimono/robes but it's 4+ meters in length so I'm just going to top stitch to get that sucker down, it's Get 'er Done TIME!!!! It's black with gold brocade so the thread not teribily noticale except when you up close. It just feel like cheating a bit.

Still working on all the trim and the wig right now. I might take a break and tweak my bodice as it's bugging me knowing I can take it in to fit me better. It's just something I put off so long that it annoys me. lol

Anime North '18

FanExpo '18
Rose Quartz
Boris the Wolf

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 04-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Unread 04-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #116
EmpressofSquee
Random Squee Generator

Forget the panic thread, can someone please point me to the Total-Meltdown-Aaaaarrrrgh thread?

I just made a list of what still needs to be done for my masq entry and OMG I need to stop making lists...

At least the hat and bag are done. Still need to style the wig, hem the skirt, finish my documentation, edit my music... oh, and clean my apartment so the cat-sitter doesn't wonder what kind of fabric bestrewn hell he's walked into.

TWO DAYS. (I'm getting there on Friday.)

Good luck to everyone who's in the same boat! Those of you who aren't... Teach us your ways. Can't wait to see everyone's hard work, it's gonna be AWESOME.

Cosplay 2013:

Anime North: Princess!Dory (Finding Nemo), Mrs. Brisby (Secret of NIMH, the hubby is doing Nicodemus!)
Otakuthon: TBD

Costume Con 32 Super-special-awesome-chocolatey-coated-secret cosplay!
EmpressofSquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #117
Boreotheria
n00b

I think... I'm pretty much done. \o/

Urania is done enough for hallwear. And I think there's a theme-oriented social? I have a blue chiton and himation with silver trim, a starry tiara, a ball painted blue that could be a celestial sphere, but if I don't get anything done on that in time I have a little spyglass telescope too.

Still needs: silver slippers or gladiator sandals; silver cord to tie the chiton closed.

Fem!Ori... is freaking adorkable even on the dressform, if I do say so myself. The skirt is done, the cloak is done except for the clasp and maybe some edging (I might do that by hand), the coat is done except for the buttons, and I have a bought (second hand) blouse and sweater vest. Shoes will be my own leather shoes with foolie tops or legwarmers, bound with leather lace and fake fur strips. The wig is pretty damn cute.

Still need: a belt with a big buckle, a leather-look satchel, and a leather-ish bound book. The first two I can slap together with microsuede if I don't find anything cheap to buy. I'm pretty sure I have a small leather-bound notebook somewhere too.
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #118
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Leather-ish bound book, Indigo/Charpters have some nice ones in their blank journal section.

Anime North '18

FanExpo '18
Rose Quartz
Boris the Wolf

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale
Unread 04-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #119
siyrean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
^ The Princess of the Crystal puffs need a stiffener to get those large rolls in the fabric. But It's like Elizabethan collars.

http://mrsbertinsjewelrybox.blogspot...than-ruff.html
http://www.wyrdrune.com/Costume/inde...dex.html~right

I've also seen a few cosplayers do boxed structures on their sleeves.
http://cosplayidol.otakuhouse.com/20...u-penguindrum/
Thank you very much! sadly I think I mangled what was left of my fabric. i'll see how close I can get but I may just have to wait till AN to have it accurate.

I work nights so it's just about time for bed for me, then I go to work and will be home around 7:30 am tomorrow. My friends are arriving from the states much earlier than I had figured (like early afternoon rather than early evening ) so I really hope they don't mind me sewing/ironing/steaming/panicing all day/night while we have a boardgame party in our hotel room.
ColossalCon - Mai - Avatar tLA +swimsuit, Drunk!Yuuri - YoI, Mito - FoodWars
DragonCon - Johanna - HungerGames bunnyhop, Yuuri - YoINight, Undyne - Undertale, Dolores - WestWorld, Drunk!Yuuri - YoI
BeachCityCon - JasperTale
Teslacon - Steampunk
siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #120
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

DONE. OMFG it took SO LONG. I have NEVER been working on a costume this close to the due date.
Quote: