Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 07-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

Help, Boot covers

My cosplay is Sailor Luna ( Sailor Moon Live Action ) I am having such a hard time of it. First it was gloves I already gave up and bought some...

I could really use some help with boot covers. The gods of cosplay must have taken pitty on me after my 3 tries at fabric bootcovers failed. I found some leggings to use. But here is my issue. I've put them together where I put any shoe into the cover. It will not be glued to the shoe.

I'm wearing flats first off. I have YET to find a tutorial where anything other than a high heel is used for a long boot cover using tights or thigh highs. I can not go around with the fabric in contact with the ground all day. so I was thinking I could glue sandpaper to the bottom. It is thin and just durrable enough. But I'm not sure what kind of glue I can use on the tights. I didn't think hotglue would be ok... I thought about doing a flip-flop but it seemed like too much extra.

The other problem is the top of the boot has a diffrent color band. I don't know how to attatch a non stretchy fabric to a tight and still be able to get this shoe in and out. I have yet to find a similar material with enough stretch in the right color.

Thanks in advance :3

On a side note. I'm am looking for help making this design work with what I have. I need help finding a way. So, please refrain from comments like "change the shoe" or boot covers from scratch. My resources are at $0 and time is limited.

COSPLAYS
Sailor Luna - Sailor Moon
Rock Ruff Gijinka - Pokemon
Lion (Gijinka) Steven Universe

Tiger "shark" neko outfit.
solstis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

can you post a reference image please
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

First thing, don't use sandpaper on the bottom. That is a terrible idea on many levels. A fine-enough grained sandpaper to not be murder would still be too slippery to walk on, and would still damage floors. I'd recommend using something with a rubbery texture -- I like to use dots of hot glue on the bottoms of shoecovers for added grip. A layer of felt down there also helps.

As for the rest. The thing with tights is that they're done on circular knitting machines, so they aren't really shaped. This works for putting them over high heels, since the shape of a foot in high heels is similar to the shape of the tight, at least close enough that it doesn't pose an issue once stretch is factored in. With flat shoes, you'll run into a lot of wrinkling around the ankle in particular. You may need to go in and create seams on the front and back of the tights to shape them to your shoe and leg better to get them to look right. (The other issue is with material -- something with heels but not a typical boot material? It's still obviously a boot. Something that's flat and not a typical boot material? Might look like footie PJs you wore as a kid. I'd recommend putting a bit of craft foam or other material to create a fake sole on the sides, even if it's thin, so that you can keep the illusion of boots.)

As for attaching something less stretchy to the top? Stretch the covers to match, and then sew it on. This is one of the very few instances where you will stretch a fabric as you sew it. Once the covers are stretched to your leg, it'll get rid of the wrinkles that will be created by doing that, while still ensuring that it'll be big enough to go around your leg.
Unread 07-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Penlowe

Quote:
As for attaching something less stretchy to the top? Stretch the covers to match, and then sew it on
I'll elaborate:
Put them ON and pin (carefully) Do not just guess. I've only done it twice (needed a vinyl trim on spandex) and the pinning phase is very persnickety. Put them on, pin, walk around for a minute. Take them off and go do something else for thirty minutes. Come back and put them on, walk a couple laps of the house.
My trial and error resulted in having to pin the vinyl almost uncomfortably tight in order to not slide down when wearing and walking. Where yours sits on your body will affect this.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

I think I have some foam to use. Foam and glue dots perhaps? I do not trust my glue gun that much. I guess sandpaper would only be ok for outside now wouldn't it XD

I will try the pinning and walking. Perhaps after all that movement I might be able to still get the shoe out again. I might end up sewing it on at the con.....

COSPLAYS
Sailor Luna - Sailor Moon
Rock Ruff Gijinka - Pokemon
Lion (Gijinka) Steven Universe

Tiger "shark" neko outfit.
solstis is offline   Reply With Quote