Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 04-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #166
Siyana

Alright I'll do my best to wear it the third way, thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post

The only thing I notice a bit off with you top skirt is that the segment are not tear drop shaped (rounded sides) Siyana. You can definitely reshape the pink fabric but that would mean redoing the bias tape and I know that is time consuming or impossible if you used fusing tape.
If you used fusing tape you can remove by ironing and heating up again as you pull it off.
And yeah I noticed the skirt petals too. Thanks for pointing it out! The way I'm probably going to do it is just redoing the skirt all together in time for fanime and just going with it this way for Saturday. Not enough time for everything unfortunately because I still need to work on a bunch of stuff like the sleeves still. >.>
~ Presea - Tales of Symphonia
~ Mia - Fire Emblem

Next convention: NorCal summer gathering
Deviant Art
Siyana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #167
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merino View Post

I've been looking at Wigs for Sayaka but I've found it hard to find ones I like the colour of, any suggestions?
Sayaka hair colour is a grey teal. It would be a custom mix of Blue, Grey, Green (or yellow to add green to the blue) to achieve that dye colour.

You could star with a light blue wig and add grey/yellow to it achieve that colour. It's a rather unique shade and dyeing a short wig is relatively painless then a long one.
Possible base wigs for dying.
http://www.epiccosplay.com/12-arctic...splay-wig.html
http://kingdom-arts.org/072A.html
http://kingdom-arts.org/011.html (this shade you could just dye grey)
http://kingdom-arts.org/010.html (close but needs a tint of yellow and is a tad too dark)

Colour wise this is the closet but a tad lighter an need a tiny bit more yellow but not by much, their wigs run on the smaller side as well as and FYI:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Short-Layer-PARA... em4840065e2b

Anime North '18
Draculaura collector doll 2015 - FRI
Steven Universe - Rose Quartz SAT - & SUN

FanExpo '18
Rose Quartz
Boris the Wolf

Future cosplays/cons:
Sakizou Ms. Anniversary - (AN 2019 or Costume-con 38)
Lagertha - Vikings, Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 04-29-2011 at 11:00 AM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #168
NatsuRei

@bhl 88 & @Ani_BEE

By plastic, if you mean toy gun, then that maybe fine, as long as you can find one that's almost the same shape and size as the one in the anime and you could add in craft foam for the gun details, white primer for painting, and spray paint with metalic colors to make it a bit realistic.

You could also go for resin, but I'm a bit leery on using that one (very dangerous stuff), there's actually a tutorial on using resin for swords (cosplay tutorial section), you could use the same methodology on guns.

You could also go for wood (you can divide the thing by sections: rifle barrel, body, and handle). You could use wood glue to bind the sections. For the rifle barrel, and alternative would be a pvc pipe, just choose the appropriate binder for pvc and wood (I'm not too sure if you could do that with a glue gun, but I can imagine it looking cleaner). Use the proper wood paint primer and use a metallic spray paint to make it realistic-looking. You could use wood carving for the details of the gun, or craft foam (which is much easier).

I'm not too savvy on prop making, but that's pretty much how my methodology would be. I did some prop making in theater back in high school, so making use of anything you can get your hands on helps a lot. I hope that gave an idea.
NatsuRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #169
bhl88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatsuRei View Post
I do suggest that for Mami's rifle, go with the concept art. It's something most people would hardly notice. But if you're going for anime accuracy, try freeze framing shots from episodes 1 and 2. The close up on the giant rifles in her 'Noble Phantasm' (lol) might help you with detail.
I went to pixiv and google and typed Mami's musket (マミマスケト) or something.

P.S. When you say Noble Phantasm, I feel like Archer can trace them lol xD.

@Natsu: well I wanna use it like a sword too (she did it). What materials can you use for Madoka's bow though?)

Last edited by bhl88 : 04-29-2011 at 06:36 PM.
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #170
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Something I was noticing was inconsistency in the design of the Soul Gem. The final ones were CG'ed and will appear in the final DVD's.

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/File:Mam...m_tv_vs_bd.jpg

Anime North '18

FanExpo '18
Rose Quartz
Boris the Wolf

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 04-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #171
Merino
Magical Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Sayaka hair colour is a grey teal. It would be a custom mix of Blue, Grey, Green (or yellow to add green to the blue) to achieve that dye colour.

You could star with a light blue wig and add grey/yellow to it achieve that colour. It's a rather unique shade and dyeing a short wig is relatively painless then a long one.
Possible base wigs for dying.
Thanks for the links, this is the one I was looking at previously:
possible Sayaka wig
Unread 04-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #172
PirateMonkey08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merino View Post
Thanks for the links, this is the one I was looking at previously:
possible Sayaka wig
For my Sayaka cosplay, I've been looking at this wig: Wig

It does look slightly too long, I'll probably have to trim it some, but I like the color.
PirateMonkey08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #173
lost_asiangirl
I get talked into it...

@Ani_BEE- I talked my sister into being Homura, so she can carry anything extra, but I will definitely try to make a QB plush! And I want to make the grief seed now, but I can't find my hot glue gun... And i'm not sure how to make that giant bow props of hers, but I made a bow before, so I should come up with something, I might try using a thick gauge wire again...
lost_asiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #174
bhl88

Here is Mami Tomoe's musket. If anyone has the Blu-Ray version and notices that it is different from the main one, send me the images.
Unread 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #175
bhl88

I think it's wood or something flexible....
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #176
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I'm curious now about the DVD/Blu-Ray version.

Thanks for sharing those schematics bhl88 that's exactly what I was looking for.

The one in anime is very boxy so you could built it out or cardbox or plastic sheets.
The concept one is very organic in design and would be best to made out of wood minus the PVC tube for the barrel. The wood riffle I bought as the most similar shape to the concept on. I would need to add another wood segment to the under side to form the loop and thin down the but on the top side.

Anime North '18

FanExpo '18
Rose Quartz
Boris the Wolf

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 04-30-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #177
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMonkey08 View Post
For my Sayaka cosplay, I've been looking at this wig: Wig

It does look slightly too long, I'll probably have to trim it some, but I like the color.
I like the colour of that one, but caution if you have very fair skin that it would look very dark on you. Length wise I never trust the display heads ... the are always smaller then average so it will probably be the right length or very close to the right length in the end.

The cyperous wig you linked is really nice Merino. I would also tint it with a blue yellow dye to make it match but it's a very close alternative shade and tone wise.

Anime North '18

FanExpo '18
Rose Quartz
Boris the Wolf

Future cosplays/cons:

For Sale
Unread 04-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #178
Faiga

Oh wow, this thread is super legit! It's great to see everyone working hard on the magical girl cosplays. I have yet to see any Puella cosplays at my cons. Last weekend I did debut my gijinka Charlotte costume I found on pixiv--the version that eats Mami.
It went over quite well, I'm surprised so many people knew who I was.

I was hoping there would be other Puella cosplayers but none were to be found. ;__;
This weekend I'm finishing up a Kyubey plush and Charlotte plush--the adorable one that was a decoy.
Faiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #179
koi-ishly
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Here is Mami Tomoe's musket. If anyone has the Blu-Ray version and notices that it is different from the main one, send me the images.
This is amazing, thank you for finding these detailed images of the gun! I've yet to figure out which one I want to make... oh decisions.
koi-ishly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #180
LK1721

I'm currently working on a Homura cosplay but would like a few opinions on wig and contact colors! So, if you would be so kind to tell me what you think would be better, I'd love to hear.

First off, wig. Her hair isn't black but rather like a darkish brown color, right?
The one that I found off of Amphigory was this Lavishly Wild wig. It looks like color #2 would be pretty dead on for her hair color, what do you guys think?

Now for the contacts. Are her eyes a pale purple-blue color and I don't know where I'd find contacts like that. Does anyone have suggestions?

I'm making the version most seen through the series and kind of want to make her shield "function" so it will turn, click into place and that it opens to reveal the gears and sands. I've been sitting on it for a while but am not sure how to make it "click" into place...I'd really like some help on that. XD
LK1721 is offline   Reply With Quote