Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 06-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #5881
Lithium Flower
Handphones

My impression about the prop 'issue' was that someone was leaving nasty messages on their photo's about it? Was I mistaken?
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #5882
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
My impression about the prop 'issue' was that someone was leaving nasty messages on their photo's about it? Was I mistaken?
I didn't see any comments that reference the gun except for hers on her Yoko photos, so I guess if there were they've been deleted.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #5883
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Actually, I think it's perfectly valid to point out when someone is holding a prop incorrectly. You should never be mean about it; of course people aren't expected to be weapons experts or whatnot, but how else are they going to learn? They're certainly at liberty to ignore it because it's just cosplay and should be for fun, you can hold your props however you want. But if it's an issue like trigger discipline or something like that, why not take a few extra seconds to adjust your grip?

I also think it's valid to direct someone to the appropriate forum or thread when they need help with something.

What I suspect is that Tori Yummai doesn't like being corrected.
I agree on the prop thing. It looks BETTER in a photo when you can hold something/pose something right. Who wouldn't take that advice? I have to apologize about being that way with Princess Tutu/ballet-based cosplayers. I dance ballet and even though I'm far from the level of pointe, I can tell when someone doesn't know what they're doing at all for poses. And usually have to say to them "You're supposed to turn out from the whole leg, not just your foot, and your arms should be more rounded", etc. and if in person, offer to show them how it's done so they can look like an actual dancer. Because it just looks AWFUL to someone who does dance when you're posed like you were a three-year old in a play tutu. (And don't get me started on non-dancers risking their ankles in pointe shoes. That's another rant entirely and has been covered nicely on the GCC already)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #5884
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I'm thinking about posting a (very long) statement on my Facebook basically calling people out and asking me to explain why they're homophobic and what the mindset for it is...
Mostly because I'm nearly pulling my hair out here what with my mom constantly sneering "Gross" at anything that can even slightly be perceived as gay...
But I also don't want to do it and end up hurtling myself into a living hell if they take it the wrong way, because I really don't think I could emotionally handle that right now.
..I really am just curious, though, as all the arguments I've been given are quite shallow and rude.
And no, I don't mention anything about being part of the LGBT community in this rant. I know that would get me into a living hell instantly.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014

Last edited by FuntomKitten : 06-05-2013 at 09:15 PM.
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #5885
Loveable-Eve
Scene Shop Princess

I am all for standing up against homophobia but you said yourself having the stress of your family flipping out on you would not be good for you. Your sanity should come first. A good friend of mine has spoken to her mother about being homo/transphobic but it has created a major rift between them to the point where my friend no longers feels emotionally safe at home anymore and has to stay at her godparents.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #5886
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I agree on the prop thing. It looks BETTER in a photo when you can hold something/pose something right. Who wouldn't take that advice? I have to apologize about being that way with Princess Tutu/ballet-based cosplayers. I dance ballet and even though I'm far from the level of pointe, I can tell when someone doesn't know what they're doing at all for poses. And usually have to say to them "You're supposed to turn out from the whole leg, not just your foot, and your arms should be more rounded", etc. and if in person, offer to show them how it's done so they can look like an actual dancer. Because it just looks AWFUL to someone who does dance when you're posed like you were a three-year old in a play tutu. (And don't get me started on non-dancers risking their ankles in pointe shoes. That's another rant entirely and has been covered nicely on the GCC already)
As a ballet dancer I want to flip tables and jerk their bodies in to the correct positions when I see tutu cosplayers doing bad ballet poses. It is a huge peeve of mine and my reaction is thus

And don't get me started on how they actually wear pointe shoes.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #5887
GreenAlics37

As a chubby dude with brown hair. I'm sick of people saying I look like choji whenever the word cosplay comes up. Thanks man,you jusy called me fat. Its the same as me saying. Oh you're black? You fit the description of the robber GETHIM! I understand not knowing much about anime,but come on! Just say you don't know. Don't resort to bein rude. And if I just like Choji,fine. But if I were skinny I wouldn't... Oh the shame!
If a cute girl in a skimpy dress walks up to you and starts hugging you,don't question it,you may just be lucky. If a chubby dude in a skimpy dress walks up to you and starts hugging you, you're probably at a cosplay convention!
GreenAlics37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #5888
Undertaker^^
Wendigo

@green ik that feeling... oh god do i know that feeling ;-;
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #5889
GreenAlics37

Thank you xD
If a cute girl in a skimpy dress walks up to you and starts hugging you,don't question it,you may just be lucky. If a chubby dude in a skimpy dress walks up to you and starts hugging you, you're probably at a cosplay convention!
Unread 06-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #5890
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAlics37 View Post
As a chubby dude with brown hair. I'm sick of people saying I look like choji whenever the word cosplay comes up. Thanks man,you jusy called me fat. Its the same as me saying. Oh you're black? You fit the description of the robber GETHIM! I understand not knowing much about anime,but come on! Just say you don't know. Don't resort to bein rude. And if I just like Choji,fine. But if I were skinny I wouldn't... Oh the shame!
Errr

Errrrrrrrr

Yeah I'm just gonna say, being type cast in cosplay because of your weight is not the same as being racially profiled.

No doubt it sucks and its just proving how evident the lack of variety in character's design and and weight is. But... Come on
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #5891
GreenAlics37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
Errr

Errrrrrrrr

Yeah I'm just gonna say, being type cast in cosplay because of your weight is not the same as being racially profiled.

No doubt it sucks and its just proving how evident the lack of variety in character's design and and weight is. But... Come on
While I agree they're not the same thing,morally it is just as wrong to make fun of someone for their race as it is weight. But,I see what you mean
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #5892
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAlics37 View Post
morally it is just as wrong to make fun of someone for their race as it is weight.
You're in for a rough time if that's making fun of you --- People can be much meaner once you start to cosplay in the first place XD
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #5893
TechnoxXxDeath

Errrrrrrgh having a highly insensitive friend that she wonders why I don't like hanging out with her at all. I'm already having a tough enough time with my parents (as I came out to them being transgender), and there is always a tension at home. But I swear my "friend" jusssst errgh enjoys informing everyone I'm transgender, seriously you don't freakin out someone like that. I'm trying to be comfortable with who I am and you just enjoy making me feel uncomfortable and wanting to hide because I'm so "different" then the average person. God I feel like an awful person wanting to punch someone who I thought was my best friend in the face.
TechnoxXxDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #5894
GreenAlics37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
You're in for a rough time if that's making fun of you --- People can be much meaner once you start to cosplay in the first place XD
Well,I just mean that morally it is just as wrong to ridicule something over one thing than it is over something else. While weight issues and that of race may be apples and oranges?I stand by my opinion of it being mean xD and being made dun of doesn't bother me,just a nuisance
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #5895
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

Sometimes I can't stand my mom...Last week, we went to Sam's Club to order my contact lenses and a pair of glasses and we saw my friend Jeremy who works there. I hadn't seen him in a couple of years so we hugged and chatted for a bit to catch up. Well, when my mom and and I were on our way out the store, my mom turned to me and had the nerve to ask me: "Is Jeremy still gay?" I wanted to punch her so bad right then and there. I just simply responded, "Yes, mom. He is."

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote