Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
LadyCrankypants
Lady of House Crankypants

Runners/Joggers!

Just wanted to see who else is into running! Or just starting running! Or really wants to try running one of these days!

What kind of training do you do? Do you race? What races are you doing in the near future? Or really, anything else.

I'm a newbie runner, ran my first organized 5k last September and I'm running my first Half-Marathon on September 22nd (http://www.armyrun.ca). In spite of my best intentions, I barely trained this summer, and I'm just getting into the swing of things with just over three weeks left (help me!) Last night I ran 10k for the first time, my time wasn't the best (1h18) but I did minimal walking, felt good when I finished, and I'm barely sore today! Now I only need to double it and add a km

What is everyone else running for these days?

Works in Progress
Gaige - 75% done (on hold)
Gecko Moria - 90% done, props need to be finished

Completed Costumes - Moxxi|Dr Zed|Robin

The Crankypants Chronicles | Facebook Page | deviantArt
LadyCrankypants is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Bovice

I run a lot, but I do it in the form of an obstacle course, so I guess it's more of tough mudder type training than just straight up running.

Interested in this thread though since I do get shin splints a lot
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
LadyCrankypants

That sounds like a blast too! I was thinking of training up for a Spartan Race/Tough Mudder for next spring or so. I'm focused on this half for the moment, but I'll be working on my weight training over the winter to get my strength up.

As for shin splints, my husband has the same issue, and seems to have pretty well worked it out with a combination of foam rolling after runs and wearing compression socks while running. Not saying that's the magic solution for everyone, but it's worth a try - good luck!

Tonight I'll be taking it easy with a 5k as my soreness has caught up to me, and I imagine that trying to do much more would be a bad idea at this point. Still, any run is a good run

Works in Progress

Unread 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

I just got back from California and the Disneyland half/Coast to Coast. My ultimate goal is the WDW full marathon in January.

As far as training goes, I'm solidly in the in the "whatever is working for you" camp. I personally had to abandon the C25K model in favor of Jeff Galloway's philosophy because found I need more walk breaks. It's been working great for me. Several 5K PRs my first summer using it, faster recovery, no injuries *knock on wood*.

Next conventions: Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta
Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
eLlimists
Limitless

I am an avid runner. I've been running since I've been a baby off and on.

I've done the Spartan Race, Savage race, several mud runs, various 5ks, color runs, etc., Gasparilla Classic, several Tough Mudders, and am doing the WDW marathon in January in Orlando. I'll probably do the Tough Mudder in Tampa if I can get a team to cosplay it with me (I run in costume for a lot of these events...and I run fast - all out).

If anyone uses MapMyRun they can find me on there... just message me and I'll send you my info.

@Bovice - to prevent shin splints run on grass. If you run on concrete you're only exacerbating the pain.

Running is all about endurance and consistency. Run a lot, increasing distance and pace over time and it'll balance out.
If you're trying to maximize weight loss for cosplay, running is phenomenal.
If you're trying to maximize muscle, running is great at burning fat, BUT you'll need a strong gym routine (or equivalent muscle building regiment).

If anyone is in Florida feel free to hit me up!
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
DiceBunny

I am one of those types that I get sidetracked from Cardio over a higher preference for weight lifting. I find cardio agonizing, painful, unfun. However despite having a vigorous resistance training it has always been my disinterest of cardio crippling my over all fitness. I can pack on the muscles, but can't shed the fat. After suffering from overtraining in my weight lifting program, I finally became more motivated to pick up doing cardio once again.

I started with biking but biking really doesn't give you the deep workout that a stairmaster, treadmill, or ellipticial would in the same amount of time.

I have once again gotten back into doing the C25K program ( http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml ). I quite the first time because I didn't have a gym membership and was jogging/walking on the side of a road that proved to have to many 'cat callers' which was raising my anxiety over the whole thing.. and not to mention Texas heat! I have found that running indoors in a treadmill works out much better for me at -this- time especially while easing into a running program.

For anyone that tries this program out it is essential to make adjustments for your -own- fitness level and abilities. Especially at one point it goes from about 40% jogging- 60% walking to suddenly 60% jogging, 40% walking and it -killed- me >< so I had to add in a week of closer to 50-50. I am only on week 1 of this go around.

As far as actual races- I have only ever participated in Warrior Dash. It was a lot of fun, but embarrassing when I came into the LOW 30 percentile group. I have also volunteered for races in the past. It was actually a lot of fun to set up the cones, then lap back around to pick up the cones. ^.^ Oh and to cheer on the people too!
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
LadyCrankypants

First things first - WOOOOOOO! I ran 10km straight without walking last night! That said, my time was pretty meh (1h10m), I'm still no closer to 21km, and my race is less than two weeks away... Oops! Oh well, I think I'll survive, here's my plan for my remaining time:

Today - Rest
Wednesday - 8km
Thursday - Rest
Friday 12km
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest
Monday - 15km
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - 8km
Thursday - Rest
Friday - 5km
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Race Day! 1/2 Marathon!

We'll see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I just got back from California and the Disneyland half/Coast to Coast. My ultimate goal is the WDW full marathon in January.

As far as training goes, I'm solidly in the in the "whatever is working for you" camp. I personally had to abandon the C25K model in favor of Jeff Galloway's philosophy because found I need more walk breaks. It's been working great for me. Several 5K PRs my first summer using it, faster recovery, no injuries *knock on wood*.
AWESOME! A good friend of mine did the Disney 1/2 Marathon last year, and I'd love to give it a shot myself (one of these years)!

And I'm totally with you on doing whatever works. I had looked at the C25K method once upon a time, but really, I went straight to run as much as I can, then walk until I can run, repeat. I've improved SO much this year, where at the beginning of the season, I could barely get 500m without needing to walk for a bit. For me the key has been breathing, and pacing myself so I don't run out of air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLlimists View Post
I am an avid runner. I've been running since I've been a baby off and on.

I've done the Spartan Race, Savage race, several mud runs, various 5ks, color runs, etc., Gasparilla Classic, several Tough Mudders, and am doing the WDW marathon in January in Orlando. I'll probably do the Tough Mudder in Tampa if I can get a team to cosplay it with me (I run in costume for a lot of these events...and I run fast - all out).
Awesome! Do you have pics (aside from your profile pic) from your costume runs? I'm planning on running in costume for the Rattle-Me-Bones 10k on October 27th! I had originally been planning on attempting to make my Moxxi costume running friendly, but feel as though that would be a giant pain. Instead, I'll be re-vamping the Robin costume I threw together for a Superhero Scavenger Hunt last summer - should be awesome!

Oh, and I love MapMyRun, but have only been using it for logging and route planning purposes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiceBunny View Post
I am one of those types that I get sidetracked from Cardio over a higher preference for weight lifting. I find cardio agonizing, painful, unfun. However despite having a vigorous resistance training it has always been my disinterest of cardio crippling my over all fitness. I can pack on the muscles, but can't shed the fat. After suffering from overtraining in my weight lifting program, I finally became more motivated to pick up doing cardio once again.
AGREED! I love weight lifting, and as much as I've been busting my butt to get my running on track, I can't wait to have this half marathon over with so I can get back to my weight training and just use running as cross training.

Quote:
As far as actual races- I have only ever participated in Warrior Dash. It was a lot of fun, but embarrassing when I came into the LOW 30 percentile group. I have also volunteered for races in the past. It was actually a lot of fun to set up the cones, then lap back around to pick up the cones. ^.^ Oh and to cheer on the people too!
Awww, I find it's just sucky in general when you sit down and start comparing yourself to others (kind of like in Cosplay ). I'm not racing to win, I'm racing to prove to myself that I CAN, and even if I finish dead last, hey, I will have finished a half marathon! It's been hard for me training "with" my husband, as running just comes naturally to him. He went out for a 15km run the other day and at the 8km point said to himself "Hey, I may as well go the full half Marathon"... and finished it. In 2h 10m. Some people's children. Meanwhile I struggle for every kilometer I get - but hey, I'm still doing it, and I have improved so much this year, so what am I worried about? Doing my best, and finishing that damn half marathon!

Good luck with your C25K!

Works in Progress

Unread 09-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
rachelewok

I just started running this past month. I used to run cross country in high school but an ankle injury benched me my senior year. I've finally gotten back into it- though it was soo discouraging when I first started back because my endurance was shot. I'm proud of my progress over the past few weeks. Though, I have trouble getting started. When I'm on the trail, I know I'm there to run. Sometimes it's a struggle to get up and go. Do any of you more experienced runners have any tips to stay motivated?
rachelewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
LadyCrankypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelewok View Post
I just started running this past month. I used to run cross country in high school but an ankle injury benched me my senior year.
Ick! I know that feeling, I have a history of ankle injuries, but usually they only keep me off exercise for a week or two... Until I gave my ankle a really good sprain last October. I did months worth of physio, and couldn't do any high impact exercises until May or so, and it still bugs me from time to time (but more light nagging pain than before). In short, injuries suck.

Quote:
I've finally gotten back into it- though it was soo discouraging when I first started back because my endurance was shot. I'm proud of my progress over the past few weeks. Though, I have trouble getting started. When I'm on the trail, I know I'm there to run. Sometimes it's a struggle to get up and go. Do any of you more experienced runners have any tips to stay motivated?
Motivation is super tricky. I find for getting up and going it helps to have a schedule planned out, that way I already have my head wrapped around the fact that "Hey, when I get home from work this evening, I'm taking off the uniform and throwing on my running clothes, end of story." That and having races looming helps... if I know I have to be ready to run X distance on Y day, it's harder for me to blow off my training.

Speaking of training for runs, I ended up having to shorten my run today from 8km to 5km Apparently I hadn't quite recovered from my 10km the other night, as my left quad was yelling at me right off the bat. I figured it would be best to just go for the 5, and run my 8 on Friday instead, by which point my quad will hopefully have sorted itself out (with judicious icing and foam rolling on my part, of course).

What is everyone else running this week?

Works in Progress

Unread 09-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
LilacEyes

Oh dear. I jogged for eighty minutes four times a week for a month straight and fell right out of it. I do love the benefits it gave me. The runners high surely exists :-P
I'm not opposed to jogging again, but it's so much easier to hop on my stationary bike and do an eighty minute session on that thing after a long day of being on my feet at work than it is jogging.
LilacEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Cyanna
Yarrrrn Pirate

Quote:
I'm proud of my progress over the past few weeks. Though, I have trouble getting started. When I'm on the trail, I know I'm there to run. Sometimes it's a struggle to get up and go. Do any of you more experienced runners have any tips to stay motivated?
I always need to have a race on the schedule. I don't really like running for its own sake but the races are a way I bond with my siblings and a few friends. So if there is a spring half we're all working towards, I'll drag my butt out to run during the winter months because I don't want to fall behind and not finish (I'm more in danger of being removed by not keeping pace than removed by injury). In the summer I try to do at least one 5K a month.

I think I'm doing 4 miles this weekend but I need to check the plan. Definitely doing 30-45 minutes tonight.

Next conventions: Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta
Currently working on (commission): "Companion Cube" [custom] Mabel Pines (Gravity Falls)
Currently working on (personal): Fem!Pacha (The Emperor's New Groove), Spidermom ver. 3 (Homestuck)
Cyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
DiceBunny

@LadyCrankpants:

Thanks for your kind words. But you are definitely inspiring. Just remember what you said on race day, that just finishing is rewarding enough but it sounds like your going to do great. Don't forget to eat some carbs the night before your marathon and have a good breakfast so you have plenty of energy to pull through for a personal win! ^.^
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
LadyCrankypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilacEyes View Post
Oh dear. I jogged for eighty minutes four times a week for a month straight and fell right out of it. I do love the benefits it gave me. The runners high surely exists :-P
I'm not opposed to jogging again, but it's so much easier to hop on my stationary bike and do an eighty minute session on that thing after a long day of being on my feet at work than it is jogging.
Totally understandable - when it comes to exercise, the best one is the one you actually do! Keep it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I always need to have a race on the schedule. I don't really like running for its own sake but the races are a way I bond with my siblings and a few friends. So if there is a spring half we're all working towards, I'll drag my butt out to run during the winter months because I don't want to fall behind and not finish (I'm more in danger of being removed by not keeping pace than removed by injury). In the summer I try to do at least one 5K a month.

I think I'm doing 4 miles this weekend but I need to check the plan. Definitely doing 30-45 minutes tonight.
This so much! I need to add more to my schedule to keep myself going... But maybe keep it 10km and below for the next little bit after this half
Quote:
@LadyCrankpants:

Thanks for your kind words. But you are definitely inspiring. Just remember what you said on race day, that just finishing is rewarding enough but it sounds like your going to do great. Don't forget to eat some carbs the night before your marathon and have a good breakfast so you have plenty of energy to pull through for a personal win! ^.^
Thanks for cheering me on, it means a lot I'm certainly not fussed on my time, I just want to make it to the end! There will definitely be carbs before, and I've been testing gels to see what works for me, and I'll probably use one or two during my race for that extra oomph. Either way, I'm sure I'll be hurting afterward, but I'm GOING to finsh

So my 8km run went well on Friday, and I'm looking feeling good (but a little worried) for my 15km tomorrow. It's my last long run before my race on Sunday, and I really want to be properly rested and in good shape when I get going. I'm super stoked, but don't feel nearly as well prepared as I would like to have been. That said.... Bring it on!!

Works in Progress

Unread 09-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Ferd De Mann

I used to run Cross Country in high school and sort of fell away from it in college. Training up for 5ks and eventually a half marathon! Its tough getting back into long distance running. I've been running roughly 4.3mi nearly every day. My times are slowly improving.
Ferd De Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
LadyCrankypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd De Mann View Post
I used to run Cross Country in high school and sort of fell away from it in college. Training up for 5ks and eventually a half marathon! Its tough getting back into long distance running. I've been running roughly 4.3mi nearly every day. My times are slowly improving.
Sounds like you're on the right track - do you have a specific half marathon in your future, or is it more of a "one day" thing?

My half marathon is TOMORROW MORNING! I'm getting a little nervous. And to add to the fun, I'm working a night shift tonight, so I get off in the morning, change, eat breakfast, then spend 2h30 (I hope!) running... Just to go home, shower, go to bed, and get up for tomorrow night's shift. Huzzah! I managed it last year for the 5k at the same run, but I'm going to be SO tired.

I think I remembered everything I need...
-Number & Chip
-Shirt, shorts, socks, under armour... CRAP. Forgot my shoes, just called the hubby to bring them.
-Gels
-Fuel belt and water bottles
-Headphones and cell phone holster

As long as my husband remembers to bring me my shoes, I'll be all set! As long as I'm still awake. Until then, carbs and hydration!

Works in Progress