Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Construction Equipment Review

Unread 12-22-2014, 03:41 AM   #166
Whespers

Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing and 4x4 Embroidery Machine is best one known to me so far.. I bought this as to use for everyday sewing more than for the embroidery. It does both well. So far it has been excellent.
Whespers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #167
nat.lit13@yahoo

I'm looking for a new sewing machine

I got a free brother Vs 1120 sewing machine from an aunt.I was pretty excited and so I started putting it together. The user manual was useless. Then my grand father of it together for me. The string jammed up repeatedly, causing the needle to get stuck in the cloth.
I guess maybe it was just pass it's time.
nat.lit13@yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #168
Kamineko_ii
@SkullKidUK

Singer Tradition 2250

Bought brand new from Argos in 2012, then again in 2015.

I have limited sewing experience, but enough nous to read a manual and try things.

The problem I have with these machines is that they will work flawlessly for about one month and then go completely awry. No amount of tension adjusting (top or bobbin), needle re-threading or thread swapping will fix it. You will have unfixed stitches abound, zig-zags that become Ys and all the rest.

The frustrating part of this is that for those first months, they really will do the work. I've sewn through layers with interface, thin pleather, no trouble. It's a simple, clean, functional machine, with a seemingly-limited amount of features to not intimidate the beginner, but also let the knowing expert do their job, as well as not including extraneous 'you don't need it' stuff.

If I could find a more reliable machine for the price (I paid £100 on sale for my 2015 model. Bought to replace the 2012 model that just went mad one day.) I would chuck the Tradition in a heartbeat. Until then, I really think I might buy a third 2250 just so I have something familiar to use...
Unread 11-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #169
Kamineko_ii
@SkullKidUK

It broke again one month after coming back from servicing. Don't buy a Singer Tradition 2250.
Unread 12-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #170
Chaletica
Chaotic Lazy Anti-Villain

1) What machine do you own? Include the maker and model number please!
Singer Promise 1408
2) when did you purchase it/how old is it?
Last year sometime, new.
3) How much sewing experience do you have? (how long sewing, how advanced your projects are)
Been sewing costumes since 2011, mostly "simpler" clothes and lighter fabrics so far but always aiming to improve and "move up". So... intermediate?
4) what do you like most about the machine?
It was cheap, and... really, that's mostly it. Also, not too heavy.
5) what do you not like?
Mainly, I had a LOT of issues with the bobbin - a lot of the time, the thread would keep jamming up or nesting - that is, if I could get it to pull up the thread in the first place! Not even half a year in and it started doing this (and I hadn't even been using it a lot - large parts of 2015 and first half of 2016 were kind of "pause years" for me). I tried fixing the jam several times (got advised to just adjust the stitches?), but rarely managed to - and recently, trying to fix it just broke it even more. It worked nicely the first times and for the first pieces, though! But then... it just kept getting worse. The threading also kept falling out, and it was hard and annoying to thread the bobbin without getting the thread stuck UNDER the spool.
6) Would you recommend your machine to a fellow cosplayer?
Not at all, unless you want something that only lasts for the first few months and afterwards will only cause you a lot of annoyance. Not much "promise" in this one, would not recommend.

http://consolers.webcomic.ws My webcomic, Consolers. It's about game companies
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #171
Chaletica
Chaotic Lazy Anti-Villain

Recently got a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116... love it so far, much better than my old one already! Consulted with a sewing machine shop for this (rather than just buying the cheapest one for sale somewhere ahaha), told them what I was looking for and they thought this would be the best one for sewing costumes/clothes on my budget, got to try it out a bit and it seemed pretty great! Nice stitches with the basic settings I need, and handles heavier and several layers of fabric MUCH better (Also as a minor detail, I also prefer the drop-in bobbin to the frontloader of my past ones)

(Though waiting a few months to leave a proper review)

http://consolers.webcomic.ws My webcomic, Consolers. It's about game companies

Last edited by Chaletica : 01-06-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote