Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Unread 02-25-2017, 01:44 AM   #61
miratarnish

I've been wanting to cosplay as Opal (and have been working on the costume) since 2013. Although I'm pretty busy this year, and may not be able to do such an ambitious project.
I was wondering what SU character I could do this year as back up, and it could be useful to have the second opinion of other SU fans!
most of my cosplays are based off my natural features, but I don't quite resemble any of the SU cast that strongly. Any suggestions? I was considering a cosplay of a cracked Lapis, but I'm not very good at body paint...
miratarnish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #62
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by miratarnish View Post
I've been wanting to cosplay as Opal (and have been working on the costume) since 2013. Although I'm pretty busy this year, and may not be able to do such an ambitious project.
I was wondering what SU character I could do this year as back up, and it could be useful to have the second opinion of other SU fans!
most of my cosplays are based off my natural features, but I don't quite resemble any of the SU cast that strongly. Any suggestions? I was considering a cosplay of a cracked Lapis, but I'm not very good at body paint...
The good thing about SU cosplay is you don't really have to be great at body paint to do it. Now that it's been around for a few years there's plenty of tutorials for making arm socks, or even wearing fully body suits to cover most of yourself in an easy paint-free way, where you'd only have to paint your face and maybe a bit of your chest. You can also feel free to do characters without body paint at all, or if you're not comfortable with that you can design humanized versions of them that wouldn't need paint. So I wouldn't let the thought of body paint scare you off!

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #63
ebanks90

If anyone is cosplaying steven universe characters and looking for the perfect shade of body paint to match your cosplay- check this out

I love FAB water based paint because it goes on smooth and easy, comfortable on the skin, and lasts all day. Use it with final seal and a kabuki brush to get the perfect even coverage- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98_WrOkUdc
ebanks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #64
miratarnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
The good thing about SU cosplay is you don't really have to be great at body paint to do it. Now that it's been around for a few years there's plenty of tutorials for making arm socks, or even wearing fully body suits to cover most of yourself in an easy paint-free way, where you'd only have to paint your face and maybe a bit of your chest. You can also feel free to do characters without body paint at all, or if you're not comfortable with that you can design humanized versions of them that wouldn't need paint. So I wouldn't let the thought of body paint scare you off!
Thanks for the advice! Although Opal's costume might be a good opportunity to learn how to do body paint properly. I've been practicing the facial makeup, but it would be difficult to match the multilayered tones I wanted to achieve on my entire body (or at least on my neck, back, arms, and calves.
I was even thinking about making stilts that kind of extend from my knees (with fake calves over my real calves), as I'm not quite a "giant woman" myself (I'm 5'6), but I wasn't sure about how safe or structurally sound they would be. And I have pretty big feet to hide in the stilts (ladies size 10). Anyone out there who knows how to make slim, leg-like stilts?
miratarnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2017, 04:24 AM   #65
cactusmomma
Let's play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebanks90 View Post
If anyone is cosplaying steven universe characters and looking for the perfect shade of body paint to match your cosplay- check this out

I love FAB water based paint because it goes on smooth and easy, comfortable on the skin, and lasts all day. Use it with final seal and a kabuki brush to get the perfect even coverage- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98_WrOkUdc
Thanks for this! Do you need a lot of it for coverage or is it cake makeup? I've only used Ben Nye before and had...issues, to say the least?
cactusmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #66
Sapphirecatgirl

I made a bodysuit and a pair of socks for Smol Peridot (without her limb enhancers) but I have yet to start on the wig. I'm debating on whether or not to get armsocks or to use body paint... I also found the perfect shade of navy blue velvet for Blue Diamond's cape and cloak.

Upcoming or In Progress Costumes
Peridot (Steven Universe)....... 75% Done
Esther Blanchett (Trinity Blood) .............45% Done
Sapphirecatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #67
MagiFox
Spacey-Wacey

Hey peeps! I'm currenty putting together a Sardonyx cosplay for con later in August but I'm a bit stumped on her hair. I'm looking more of a platinum/light peach bob style with pulled back bangs.

Reference: http://carboncostume.com/wordpress/w...4/sardonyx.jpg

But the question remains: what kind of wig would be suited for Sardonyx? One with bangs or one with already pulled back bangs and add a weft to the front for extra volume? (Like this example: http://pm1.narvii.com/5809/0aab8aab7...bccabc2_hq.jpg)

I'm currently looking at the Malinda Classic in Titanium Blonde from Arda Wigs (Canada): https://ardawigscanada.ca/collection...oducts/malinda

OR

Helen in Natural Blonde (or Peach Blonde) from EpicCosplay: https://www.epiccosplay.com/helen-15...splay-wig.html

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I need to buy this wig ASAP (to prevent any delays in shipping and finish buying all my cosplay stuff online).
Squirrel Girl [1st "Unbeatable" Outfit] (MARVEL) - 35%
Wirt [Beast AU] (Over the Garden Wall)
Stanford Pines [Portal] (Gravity Falls)
Pearl [2nd Reform] (Steven Universe)
Opal (Steven Universe)

[~Upcoming Events~]
Otakuthon 2017

Last edited by MagiFox : 06-04-2017 at 07:43 PM.
MagiFox is offline   Reply With Quote