Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Tala the Ookami

Steven Universe Body Paint Help

So my friend and I are doing Garnet and Rainbow quartz this summer and we wanted to use body paint to match their skin tones but neither of us know what to get.

Garnet's skin tone is seen as brown to some but it has a red tint to me.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160726045523

Honestly not too sure about Rainbow Quartz as we havent seen her in natural lighting. This is a fan suggestion on what her coloring may be and I think its pretty accurate and would go for something like this.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160108112119

Unread 03-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
ebanks90

Hey I can definitely help you find the perfect shade of body paint! I think the best type of paint to use for Steven Universe cosplays is water- based paint because it is going to go on evenly, let your skin breathe, and wont crack or smudge like grease paints.

Check out this video to see the best way how to cover your body in paint quickly and evenly- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98_WrOkUdc

The trick is to use a kabuki brush in a circular motion. Use final seal before and after applying the paint to get a really long lasting wear.

As for the perfect shade of paint for Garnet I would say FAB Plum and maybe mix with a little bit of Watermelon to get that reddish tint. The great thing about water- based paints is they are very easy to blend when they are wet, and very easy to layer when they are dry. Using your kabuki brush you can load it with both plum and watermelon and blend it in a circular motion to get that awesome Garnet shade.

For rose quartz- try FAB Pearl Pink Shimmer and mix it with some special shimmer purple.

This paint has awesome coverage, and a little is going to cover a lot. If you guys want to try out the colors and play around with blending, I would look into the 6 color FAB palette. For only $19.99 you can try 6 colors and it comes with a brush. This will get you used to the paint consistency and blending.

Let me know if you need any other help
ebanks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

I'm going to advise that you think very carefully about painting yourself Garnet-color. You don't say what your natural skin tone is but if it's much lighter, you run the risk of being accused of blackface. Which you don't want to do because that is gross. It never turns out looking natural, it's heavily associated with racism, and it's considered disrespectful by pretty much all people of color. Yes, Garnet is purple, not Black- but she is very heavily coded as a Black woman; she has an Afro hairstyle, she is voiced by a Black woman, her facial features look very Black.
So if you do paint yourself, DO NOT paint yourself brown, paint yourself reddish-purple. You can also sacrifice a bit of character accuracy and paint yourself a lighter shade of red-purple that is closer to your natural skintone, or use red-purple colors for contouring while letting your natural skintone show through.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Tala the Ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebanks90 View Post
Hey I can definitely help you find the perfect shade of body paint! I think the best type of paint to use for Steven Universe cosplays is water- based paint because it is going to go on evenly, let your skin breathe, and wont crack or smudge like grease paints.

Check out this video to see the best way how to cover your body in paint quickly and evenly- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98_WrOkUdc

The trick is to use a kabuki brush in a circular motion. Use final seal before and after applying the paint to get a really long lasting wear.

As for the perfect shade of paint for Garnet I would say FAB Plum and maybe mix with a little bit of Watermelon to get that reddish tint. The great thing about water- based paints is they are very easy to blend when they are wet, and very easy to layer when they are dry. Using your kabuki brush you can load it with both plum and watermelon and blend it in a circular motion to get that awesome Garnet shade.

For rose quartz- try FAB Pearl Pink Shimmer and mix it with some special shimmer purple.

This paint has awesome coverage, and a little is going to cover a lot. If you guys want to try out the colors and play around with blending, I would look into the 6 color FAB palette. For only $19.99 you can try 6 colors and it comes with a brush. This will get you used to the paint consistency and blending.

Let me know if you need any other help
Thanks that sounds great! My skin can be sensitive so water based sounds a lot better than grease.
I noticed there are 2 sizes for the paint. Would the smaller sizes be fine for what we're doing?
Unread 03-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
Tala the Ookami

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruttaKanashii View Post
I'm going to advise that you think very carefully about painting yourself Garnet-color. You don't say what your natural skin tone is but if it's much lighter, you run the risk of being accused of blackface. Which you don't want to do because that is gross. It never turns out looking natural, it's heavily associated with racism, and it's considered disrespectful by pretty much all people of color. Yes, Garnet is purple, not Black- but she is very heavily coded as a Black woman; she has an Afro hairstyle, she is voiced by a Black woman, her facial features look very Black.
So if you do paint yourself, DO NOT paint yourself brown, paint yourself reddish-purple. You can also sacrifice a bit of character accuracy and paint yourself a lighter shade of red-purple that is closer to your natural skintone, or use red-purple colors for contouring while letting your natural skintone show through.
Not a problem, I am black.
I don't want to go with her new skin tone though, I want the more brick red color she used to have since I'm going with her "younger" form for the cosplay.
Unread 03-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

No problem then lol, and even a small container of water-based paint lasts a long time. Especially since you don't need to paint your whole body for Garnet. You should also look into armsocks because they will allow you to handle objects, give hugs, etc without smudging. Welovecolors Maroon or Rubine might be a little too dark idk, but they're a good place to start looking.
Sorry about assuming it's just athat a loooot of people ask about body paint when they mean blackface.
I saw a post once about a Halloween store employee whose shop had a code. "Makeup expert to aisle five" meant "this asshole is asking me what kind of makeup he should use for blackface, send all the Black employees to aisle five".
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote