Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Unread 03-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

MegaCon 2014: Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on MegaCon 2014!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the guests, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's MegaCon!

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Flashgib

Megacon 2014

Megacon today, Saturday 22March 2014, was a 2 sided story.

It was an excellent convention with some great people and superb costumes. But I honestly got the feeling that the organisers were not prepared for just how popular this con has become. Even though they had swapped to a bigger venue the main panels were swamped and many missed out on the walking dead. And at the end of the day the costume competition wasn't very well handled by the organisers, the queuing system was completely broken and no one knew what was happening. However, the actual competition was great and there were loads of superb and original costumes.

Would I go again? Yes. It was a good day.

Do I hope they have things much better organised next year? Yes, definitely!!

The only other thing was the food queues, again I just don't think they knew how many people were actually going to come this year.
Flashgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
Maya Rose
Yami no Kaze

where to start? :<

so for the most part it was great. however if i'm not mistaken the Metropolitan Resort is a con hotel every year? regardless it should never be again. everyone i talked to staying there had problems. they had over booked *and from reviews on 4 square* this was the third year in a row in march that they had over booked. they were turning people away who had month long reservations from out of state.

i had fun at the con but i feel like it was pretty disorganized. i understand there was a massive amount of people, but it seems to get bigger and bigger every year and i'd think they would anticipate that. i understand they didn't want people rushing the guest services desk for rave tickets, but i think they should have made a seperate line instead of yelling at everyone to go away for 5 minutes.
Maya Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Wyumez

Like everyone else: disorganized around the main panels.

And I thought the marketplace closed too soon.. Tons of people there too.

Wyumez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
RainbowSerenity
RS is laaame

I feel like they were completely unprepared to deal with the number of attendees on Saturday. I live about three hours away, so we left at around 7 that morning hoping to get there by 10:30. Traffic was so backed up (even starting all the way on I-4!), that we didn't get there until almost two. My dad ended up having to park in a lot that was about a twenty minute walk away from the convention center (that, kind of hilariously, had 'no parking' signs all over the place...I guess they just ran out of room to cram everybody).

The way they set everything up was completely ridiculous. Putting everything downstairs? Seriously? Everyone needs to get their passes, so hey, let's cram 75,000 people onto two escalators! Ridiculous.

And I've always felt that Megacon has never really been able to find a good way to set up their dealer's room, but this year was just insane. I got to see maybe 20% of it before I started getting claustrophobic and literally couldn't breathe due to all the people. I got out and didn't go back in, which was a shame since there were a lot of booths I wanted to stop by. It was just completely impossible to get around...not to mention that it was a total fire hazard. If any sort of emergency had happened, forget it. We'd all be dead.

We only ended up staying about two and a half hours due to the long drive home, which was incredibly disappointing. My dad, my friend, and I have been coming to Megacon's Saturday for the past nine years, and this past one will probably be our last due to how they handled everything this year. It was a huge letdown and just not fun at all for us.

Megacon 2014 - Sylveon
Metrocon 2014 - ???
Shadocon 2014 - ???
RainbowSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
negativedreamer
Dream in the Negative

yea, traffic was horrible, and the line organization for panels was non-existant. costume contest ran well without any problems. for the crowd, there really isn't anything bigger in town... so they just need to add another hall to the existing format.

dA: http://negativedreamer.deviantart.com/
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/negativedreamer
negativedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
dogwitch

sorry for late post. due to how awful this one was for me. first off advance ticket line was 2 hour wait starting from 8 am to 2 pm friday.
second this years vendor hall time was sorter then previous years (i kept all the books from the con for 10 years now)
i myself was in a halo outfit and was going up the escalator and was almost throne off of it . do to massive over crowding on Saturday . so i broke part of my foot piece due to it. my outfit did get damage also do to poeple shoving and hitting to get thru the crowed . last the hotels where over book. thank god i got my room 3 months in advance and lock it.
dogwitch is offline   Reply With Quote