Unread 08-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Costume Site Review: TRYMAX

Name of Merchant: TRYMAX
Items ordered: Hope Estheim full set
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: Full album here

Timeline (how long your order took to process): 3 weeks from order to delivery

After recieving a less than stellar commission from cosplaycommish, I decided to invest an extra $150 to fix the largest of Hope's problems ~ his scandalous pants. TRYMAX was one of only three dealers with a Hope costume available and the only option with the straps I wanted his pants to have. Luckily, it was also the cheapest of the three and came with some pieces Mandy didn't include ~ the undershirt, wristband, and belt.

I threw my order in, made my bank transfer and waited bemusedly to see what came back.

Well ~ it came in more quickly than I expected and for less than half of the price of my first botched commission, it isn't too shabby.

Pros: The colors are pretty good matches and some obvious reference work has been done. The overall costume is decently accurate ~ though materials have obviously been cheaped-out on at the expense of total accuracy. The costume is extremely complete and comes with pieces that were not included in my original commission ~ the belt (which I love!), the undershirt (which I love!) and the wrist-handkercheif (which I do not love... but can replace easily).

It fits extremely well and is also cut pretty accurately. Oddly enough, the fall of the jacket and length of the pants is much more accurate than the far more expensive commission I recieved before it.

The jacket and capelet are completely lined and the accessories are solidly made and surprisingly cool/functional. The belt and pouch are both awesome.

The price, about 1.2 man ($140) after shipping and handling, is unbeatable for this many pieces... and I feel as though I've gotten quite a lot of useable pieces for a minimal investment.

Cons: Lazy or unskilled construction ~ the inside of the pants is no-man's land... looking in there is just depressing. One of the straps is already frayed and has a hole in it, though it's simple enough to fix. I'm going to have to snap off and reattatch most of the buttons.

Oh... and the gloves.

If there is a God... he hates me.

Final Comments: TRYMAX is cheap, but it wears it's cheap heart on it's sleeve and delivers some surprisingly nice-looking stuff in reasonably complete sets. Assuming you really do get what you pay for and $140 gives me a useable pair of pants, a nice undershirt, and a belt and pouch that I really love... I'm more convinced than ever that I paid cosplay commish far too much.

Final Grade: 8

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 08-23-2010 at 09:51 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote