Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Penguinu98

Cutting the waist for a circle skirt

Hey everyone!
So I'm pretty new to sewing and I'm trying to cut the waist (Hip radius) portion, but when i cut it always turns out uneven and jagged. I always use guides and cut outs for these but they still come out uneven or jagged as well. Wondering if anyone has ideas on how I can keep things even
Thanks for the help!
Penguinu98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
lunaflora

Do you draw out the cut line before you cut it? you should make sure that the line that you are cutting doesn't result in a jagged line. I would check your pattern or guide to make sure that the pattern you are using is not the problem.
When cutting out your pattern pieces with anything. it is important to keep the fabric on the table. and also the keep the bottom scissor blade in contact with the table as well. Lifting the scissors or the fabric can result in distorting the fabric. This is especially apparent when cutting loosely woven/ sheer drapey fabrics like chiffon and satin. Go slow, cut carefully. In a circle skirt there are bias sections which might be causing the issue you are experiencing. The bias grain is very unstable and shifty especially in loosely woven fabric. The same rule applies, however. Cut slow, small strokes until you are more experienced. Keep the bottom scissor blade in contact with the cutting surface. (assuming you are using scissors). Keep the fabric as flat on the surface as possible with no parts hanging off the table to weigh and distort the grain. It might help to pin the layers together a little bit on either side of the cut line, just to stabilize it and prevent distortion and stretching. (assuming you're cutting on the fold) Also I feel like this should go in the Sewing/Fabric Craft section

Last edited by lunaflora : 08-23-2017 at 01:44 PM.
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
loz64

I'm assuming you're cutting a full circle skirt. To help keep things symmetrical, I fold my fabric in half (hotdog way), then half again (hamburger way), then draw out an arch from the folded corner representing 1/4 of the total circumference of my desired waist. That way you're making one cut that cuts the fabric in an even full circle.

Also depending on your fabric you may need to cut your circle circumference smaller than your actual measurement. Because of the fabric grain/bias issues lunaflora mentioned above, circle skirts have a tendency to stretch out once they're hung and it's much easier to cut your waist circle bigger than to try and make it smaller.
Alice Elliott | Aqua | Impa (SS) | Princess Hilda | Rosalina | Pajama Link | Airy | Agitha | Lolita Spock | Lolita Uhura | Eureka | Riyo Chuchi | Belgemine | Anise Tatlin | Ganondorf (Hyrule Warriors) | Master Eraqus | Lolita Mario

Visit my Facebook page for professional photos, progress photos, con reports, tutorials, and other fun stuff: https://www.facebook.com/MythrilArts
loz64 is offline   Reply With Quote