Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
kojirojames2004
Have not decided for 2014

Finally! A TV Show About Cosplayers!

Yes, there will be a show on Syfy about cosplay titled "Heroes of Cosplay". Here's the press release from The Futon Critic:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...0130703syfy01/

Show starts August 13th. Will you watch?

Unread 07-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Shirayuki~Chan

Just by glancing though the article, it certainly sounds good! It doesn't seem like it wants to make fun of cosplaying(and it'll be on after my most favorite show, Face Off), so I'll definitely be watching!

Cosplays:
Tycho Science- Diebuster
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones

Shirayuki~Chan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Hello Goodbye

Oooh! It sounds really cool! It'll be fun to watch. Who knows? Maybe I'll even be able to pick up some tips. I'm always on the look out for new ideas since I'm so new to this hobby. I hope they show a wide range of genres of cosplay, like anime, comic books, ect. I kind of just scanned the article, so I'm not sure if they mentioned that or not.
Tamaki Suoh-Ouran Highschool Host Club (Complete!)
Haru-Tsuritama (Complete!)
Minami (Avatar!)- Baka and Test (10% Complete)
Other Ideas: Crona (Soul Eater),Lavi (D. Gray Man),Ginko (Mushi-shi), Finny (Black Butler), Kyo (Fruits Basket), Sue (Clover)
Hello Goodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I've heard both positive and negative things about this series..I can't say I care because I've stopped having hope for an accurate cosplay-showcasing television show. Sounds harsh or drastic? Well, no. The bottom line is that an accurate show about cosplay would be really damned boring. Cosplayers trying to be their personal best (not to be THE best aside from the occasional masquerade) and looking nice but really just messing around with their friends in costume...Is boring, frankly. It isn't good entertainment. There's no drama or pressure to showcase and intensify: There's not a show. And in showcasing the drama of being the best and making your costumes perfect, shows play up the really bad and negative parts of this hobby that lie in the competition. But it hasn't affected the convention scene in the past, and I don't think it will be affecting it now, either.

I think having cosplayers like Yaya Han who have been doing this for a while and put effort into their costumes but don't have a huge ego will help, and it probably won't be a total flop..I'm just not trusting of reality shows with competition to show things accurately..or even slightly accurately. I'll probably check in for the first episode and see where things go from there.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
I've heard both positive and negative things about this series..I can't say I care because I've stopped having hope for an accurate cosplay-showcasing television show. Sounds harsh or drastic? Well, no. The bottom line is that an accurate show about cosplay would be really damned boring. Cosplayers trying to be their personal best (not to be THE best aside from the occasional masquerade) and looking nice but really just messing around with their friends in costume...Is boring, frankly. It isn't good entertainment. There's no drama or pressure to showcase and intensify: There's not a show. And in showcasing the drama of being the best and making your costumes perfect, shows play up the really bad and negative parts of this hobby that lie in the competition. But it hasn't affected the convention scene in the past, and I don't think it will be affecting it now, either.

I think having cosplayers like Yaya Han who have been doing this for a while and put effort into their costumes but don't have a huge ego will help, and it probably won't be a total flop..I'm just not trusting of reality shows with competition to show things accurately..or even slightly accurately. I'll probably check in for the first episode and see where things go from there.
Agreed. 100%. When you think about it, cosplay as a whole, is kind of boring. It won't have the "drama" needed to make it a hit show. Plus, as FuntomKitten said, as this is a reality show, it will not show cosplay in an accurate/positive light.

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Colossalcon 2014

Android 18 (Dragonball Z)- 100%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 10%
Inori White Battle Suit (Guilty Crown)- 0%
Little Sister (Bioshock)- 0%
Amaya is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
SA2R
King of the Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post

I also agree~ I don't think I'll be watching it :I

Prince Ludwig...........ルードヴィッヒ革命
Takuto Tsunashi...........STAR DRIVER
Haruto...........Valvrave the Liberator
Leddo................Suisei no Gargantia
Red Mist.........................KICK-ASS
Rui....................Gatchaman Crowds
Yukine.............................Noragami
Hoozuki..............Hoozuki no reitetsu
Ringabel...................Bravely default

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Actually, the more I see of this, the better it looks! I think this is gonna be pretty cool!
Mami Tomoe (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)- planning stages
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------

Last edited by Fabulousity : 08-06-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Fabulousity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Interesting concept for a show. I'll reserve judgement till I see how it pans out.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Scarecrow1992

I'm with the consensus that this won't be an interesting show or it will be one, just not an accurate view of cosplayers for those on the outside. It'll be overdramatic, it'll be scripted no doubt, and it'll basically rely on old stereotypes just like most reality shows do. Now if they focused on cosplay aspects and made it appeal to both cosplayers and your average audience, we may have a winner, but as it stands I'll pass.
Tommy Vercetti (GTA Vice City)
Ash Williams (Evil Dead)
Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Rex Power Colt (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)

Plans for 2014:
Turbo (Wreck it Ralph)
Soldier (TF2)
Bad Cop (The Lego Movie)
Sonny Crockett Batman (Miami Vice/Batman mashup)
Cheese Sandwich (MLP)
Mankind/Cactus Jack (WWF)
Scarecrow1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #10
pokkypok

Okay, before you judge remember that this is by SyFy. One of their big reality shows (and my favorite) is Face Off, which is probably the least drama-filled reality show ever. Some contestants are dramatic of their own voulition, but for the most part they show the contestants helping each other, being nice, and the show really focuses on their creative work. Also the judges hate when they talk about contestant drama during judging.

And from what I've heard, this is closer to a documentary type show than a competitive reality show.

So watch it before making judgements! It might be really good! SyFy is a good network!
pokkypok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
kojirojames2004
Have not decided for 2014

Also, lest we forget the infamous G4 incident on the now-resting-in-pieces "Attack of the Show", that we're talking Comcast/NBCUniversal post-mega merger here. G4 will become Esquire Channel this September for the record.
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Ilafatyu
That guy

If television magic can make cooking interesting, or decorating cakes, or working an auction, or fishing, it can definitely make cosplay interesting. I'll give it a watch.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Utatane Piko - default (Vocaloid) - 90%
Connie (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 0%
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

The description seems too focused on the "competition" part of cosplay, which is a VERY small part of it. "The competitive world of cosplay"? Really? Maybe in Japan, from what I've heard. Maybe on the East and West Coasts from what I've experienced. Not so much at the cons I attend, even Costume-Con.

I think it might be a little more fun to treat it with a Project Runway, drama inherent in the time limits and such sort of way than making it about backstage tears and drama at cosplay competitions. I see a lot less of that than SyFy seems to feel exists.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Chibi_Miyuki

This sounds interesting. I'll give it a watch to see if I'll like it or not.
Chibi_Miyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
Clementine
I do as I please.

Assuming it is in fact styled more like a documentary than a competitive reality show, I'll definitely give it a watch! Even if it ends up being trashity trash I'll probably still casually watch it to see if I can pick up any useful tips from veteran cosplayers.
Friday: Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan)
Saturday: Yang Xiao Long (RWBY)
Sunday: Rikku (Final Fantasy X-2)

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (10%)
Liz (Soul Eater) (planning)
Medusa (Soul Eater) (planning)
Crystal Pony Rarity (MLP:FiM) (25%)
Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) (10%)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote