Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Otakon

Unread 08-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
TETSUYA_CASSHER
Zentai is fun

Otakon will move in 2017 to DC

Now that the cat is out of bag, in 2017 otakon will mopve out of baltimore to the walter e washington convention center.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...on-d.c-in-2017

How do you all feel about this?

I think it will be a good change, i get the vibe lately baltimore hates conventions.
TETSUYA_CASSHER is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
ViaSapientis

I met several people from Baltimore this weekend who were genuinely clueless about what was going on. I had to explain to them what Otakon was, what it was about, and why so many people were wandering around in costume. Every single one of them was either positive or indifferent about it. Most of the questions I received were inspired by sincere curiosity.

I have a few friends from the Baltimore area who hate Otakon, but that's mostly because of the HUGE congestion it brings along. What they need to realize is that if you live in an area with a large convention center, you really don't get much say about what kind of gatherings happen there. The way I see it is... it could be worse. While Otakon is a convention for mostly harmless, pleasant people, it could be a gathering of far more active or even violent people. So, even if the residents are annoyed by the noise, traffic, and congestion... Otakon still continues to bring a lot of money/business to the city without any lasting negative effects.

I think the move is a GOOD idea, especially considering just how crowded the convention was this past weekend. I've been going to Otakon since 2005 and it was a lot nicer when it wasn't as huge, the lines weren't as long, and it wasn't so hard to move about. I'll still look back on my days at the BCC with a bittersweet outlook, but I know that the general 'feel' of Otakon will remain the same. It will still draw the same crowd, and it will still be organized by mostly the same people.
ViaSapientis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Sariie

So excited for this, as it's almost twice as big as the BCC! DEFINITELY needed. I had a hard time breathing trying to get almost anywhere (unless it was nearing midnight). I felt bad for the people in big costumes who had a big risk of getting pushed around and getting their hard work ruined. Maybe it will be better when moved to a larger location. I can only hope.

Personally, Id rather drive another hour from my home to get there if it means being more comfortable and not having to wait an hour to get into the dealers room.

I wish this change was next year, since it will only get bigger and bigger with each year...

COSPLAY PLANS
ROSE QUARTZ [STEVEN UNIVERSE] [100%]
ROSE QUARTZ - BEACH VERS. [STEVEN UNIVERSE] [80%]

instagram: sariecosplay
Sariie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
littlemissnerdy

I'm from Baltimore and while I've never been to Otakon, I can't say this news surprises me. We need a new convention center. They've been talking about it for years but nothing happens. Maybe if conventions, esp. larger ones, start leaving, then they'll finally do something.

As far as people not knowing about it, it happens. I couldn't tell you about every convention that goes on. I honestly didn't know anything about Otakon until a few years ago. I think the timing doesn't help either, with the city setting up soon for the Grand Prix, all the construction that's been going on lately, and all the other things that have been causing us local folks headaches. It's not an issue with people hating Otakon really, it's the issue that people are tired of the city dragging it's feet on things and what not.
DeviantArt (Brand New): LittleMissHawkeye

2013 Conventions:
C2E2
SDCC
Baltimore Comic Con
NYCC
littlemissnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
AwkwardSherlock
Forever Sherlocked

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO(x100)!!! It's amazing in Baltimore! However, if it is more space that they want, it's an understandable move. Very sad, though. T_T

Otakon 2013
Thursday: OtaKHAAAAAAANNNNNN!
Friday: Irene Adler (Lingerie Version)-BBC Sherlock
Saturday: Sherlock Holmes (Day-White Shirt; Night-Purple Shirt)-BBC Sherlock
Sunday: D'Eon de Beaumont (Knight Version)-Le Chevalier D'Eon
AwkwardSherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
CountMetal
I GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!!!

I live 15 to 25 minutes away from Baltimore which is why I attended 12 Otakons. As much as I love Otakon to be in Baltimore forever, I think these changes will work since 2005 was the first year they had the attendance cap and also there are people that ended up to hotels that are further to BCC rather than closer. As far 2017 goes, what will happen to the con scene in Baltimore's future? I know there is Baltimore Comic Con and Brony Con.
CountMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
littlemissnerdy

I don't see anything happening with Baltimore Comic-Con. It's a small show and I've never felt over crowded during it. They had a bit of a mess the first year Stan Lee was there but fixed it.

There are a ton of non-fandom conventions that happen (Car Show, Baltimore Orioles, Sports Card, Medical) but sooner or later, they'll have to fix the convention center. We need a new sports arena too but that's another post for another day.
DeviantArt (Brand New): LittleMissHawkeye

2013 Conventions:
C2E2
SDCC
Baltimore Comic Con
NYCC
littlemissnerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
NeuroticallyAJ

I'm super excited about this. I live about 30 minutes away from the convention center in DC and work right down the street from it, so I know the area well. However, I'm sure the area will have to get used to the crowd Otakon brings as it's located in a highly business area. But the downtown area also attracts TONS of tourists, so it may actually be a nice fit.

I'm excited and look forward to the change in location. Even if it is just for at least five years.

Cosplays in Progress:
Blood Moon Elise (League of Legends)
Snowdrop Crystal Maiden (DOTA2)
Aqua/Azura (Fire Emblem: Fates/If)

Check out my FB page! (I'm a Squid fledgling though haha) Tons of progress pictures posted here!http://www.facebook.com/AJCospage
NeuroticallyAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
BlaqCat

It's bittersweet for me. So far I've LOVED the baltimore inner harbor and all. I think the con did get too big for Baltimore, but I'm nervous about the prospect of the con moving to a new city.
BlaqCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
youngnozomi

I live much closer to DC so I'm happy but I can understand the underside for those near Baltimore. I've never been to the DC convention center but a bigger building would be nice. I hope there are nice places inside for photo shoots.
???

Cosplays I want to redo:
Alice from Tales of Sympohonia 2
youngnozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
noahroo

I like all the open space around the BCC, the fountains, the parks, the harbor, really large sidewalks. More con space is sorely needed, I get that. But I go into DC every so often and from what I remember about the area north of china town is that there's not a whole lot going on. Part of going to a con is hanging out with your firends outside the convention space too.

I also worry that it being DC and all, how receptive the businesses and federal parks and such that people will want to get pictures at while in costume will be to thousands of people wearing masks and face paint.

I'm sure AUSA is loving this news too.
noahroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #12
ShinigamiKaitou
Manic Mazoku

I'm sure how I feel about it. I've been attending Otakon for several years and the con center is great for pictures (does this new center have anything like the fountain area?) I'm also worried about it being in DC and the possible reception of people in masks and odd costumes outside of the con center...we otakon people are very used to wandering around the streets in cosplay.
The cons I've been to in that area tend to be really strict as well and one of the things I love about Otakon is the atmosphere. Different states also have different rules, and different con centers do too. How will the move effect the rules for artists alley? anything from yearly non-official but fun events to the ability to carry your characters weapon prop coul be affected by the move.

The hotels in Baltimore are also used to us coming by every year, and I've never had a problem with their staff, whereas I've had pretty cruddy experiences in other hotels for other cons...I'm just worried that the con will change too much.

Otakon 2016:
ShinigamiKaitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Andrea
Stupid Sexy Kotetsu

I think before I make up my mind how I feel about it, I'm going to take an extra day when I go down there for Katsucon (since I'm driving from Michigan, I am SO not making an extra trip) just to swing by the new venue and look the place over, and see about the surrounding area. Maybe this next year, maybe not, maybe in 2015 or 2016, because things will no doubt change between now and summer 2017. We've all got lots of time to prepare, research, and adjust our expectations accordingly.

All I can say for certain now is - hooray, more space, but I'll miss the familiar fountains (indoor and outdoor). Considering how far I'm already coming for Otakon, it really doesn't have much effect on me whether I'm taking a slightly different route for the last hour of a very long drive.
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Nisshoku-san
aka Jomeiji

Oh man am I excite. I've been there for other cons that were around 40k people and can say it'll easily fit Otakon comfortably (mid 30k).

The place spans 3 blocks if I remember correctly and is connected continuously both under and above ground. The underground cavern was basically the 3-4 times the length of the current dealer room and each of the 3 ish floors above ground are about 3 normal stories tall.

Will probably miss the Inner Harbor... but now there'll be the National Mall and China Town(Block). DC's public transport system is also pretty extensive, extending out into suburbs in 8 directions, expanding the range of hotels past the usual few walking blocks.

DC sure is hoarding a lot of cons.

/hype

Active: Komeiji Satori(MK2), Komeiji Koishi(MK2), Yasaka Kanako, Tatara Kogasa

Hiatus: Houjuu Nue(GB), Akemi Homura(GB)

Constructing:

Next: Kaku Seiga(GB), Kijin Seija(GB)

Future: Kaenbyou Rin, Giginka Ultralisk, Ion Felipe, Sakura Kyoko(GB), Brock, Giovanni, Tyrant Swain

Retired: Shirogane Naoto
Nisshoku-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
TETSUYA_CASSHER
Zentai is fun

The reason why cons are moving out of baltimore, is because baltimore invests nothing into its city just handouts the petty and thugish. Also the baltimore grand prix has dimineshed any hope for the city. So much investment so little return.
TETSUYA_CASSHER is offline   Reply With Quote