Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 08-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Help find a career I might like

I'm don't know what I want to do with my life. I have a liberal arts degree but that's useless on its own as it basically just clears out gen eds so you can transfer to a 4 year university as a junior. My previous jobs have included retail, food service, and tourism; though I don't want to be doing those for the rest of my life. I’ve tried taking several online job tests and most have returned jobs in either teaching (something I was previously interested in, but the pay scale ruined it for me) or business (which my family thinks I’d be good at, but that much responsibility is kind of terrifying for me).

The first job I can ever remember wanting to have as a kid was a pet store owner. I like animals, but didn't want to be a vet as then I had to see sick and injured animals and watch some die. There are aspects of owning a business that still seem attractive to me such as being able to set my own hours and telling problem customers to get lost, but as I've gotten older I've noticed more downsides too. Being 100% responsible and legally liable for anything that could go wrong is terrifying, not to mention I really don't want to have to clean all those cages myself if I can't afford or keep employees. And even on holidays somebody has to be there to feed them. It’s a lot of work with a very high risk of failure.

The next job I can remember being interested in at the middle school / high school level was a teacher; either for elementary education or English / language arts. I always did well in school so I don’t feel like this would be difficult, though getting up early every morning would be hell as I am definitely not a morning person. However this dream got shattered when they got their benefits taken away by the governor, and their pay alone just isn’t good enough to justify an 80k price tag for 4 years of schooling (public university is about 20k a year in my state, and that’s just tuition). I grew up poor, and I don’t want to be worrying about money for the rest of my life.

The final job that I considered post-college was a librarian. It’s quiet, I love reading, and they have evening & afternoon hours available. The problem is it takes 6 YEARS of schooling to get your license, and the pay is pretty comparable to that of teachers: AKA completely dismal. (And I refuse to take out loans to pay for college as I’ve heard way too many horror stories of them spiraling out of control to the point you’ll still be struggling to pay them off in your retirement.) If money was not a factor (either in cost of education or future earnings) this would probably be my career by now.

As for school classes I did good in pretty much every subject, with electives like art, gym, shop, and music being exceptions. History was ok but boring save for the ancient mythology units (which I loved), though I don’t think there’s many profitable careers to be made out of it regardless. I don’t do well with heavy lifting, outdoor temperatures, or getting my hands dirty; so archeology and the like are out.

I loved math classes like algebra, geometry, and trig; though when we got to pre calc and calc I got completely lost and couldn’t understand anything. I’ve never taken statistics as I skipped it to go the calc route (big mistake) so I don’t know if I’m good at that or not. Accounting was ok but terrifying, one mistake could lead to financial ruin and a lawsuit. Didn’t much care for marketing and sales either.

Science side I did okay in highschool (biology, chemistry, life science) up until physics, where I had the same problem as calc where everything just suddenly stopped making sense and I could never seem to catch up. However when I took the same types of courses in community college (anatomy & physiology) I struggled greatly as they went through all the material 4x as fast as I was used to, and I have a tendency to only remember what’s relevant for the next test then forget it immediately after. I did love balancing chemical equations though, it was just a more fun version of algebra’s solve for X.

English was super easy but super boring. All the books we had to read were lame, and I could finish each book in a week so the class was basically a study hall for the last 3 months. Also I HATE book reports and research papers with a passion; having to cite and format everything a certain way is stupid. I also HATED the poetry units; I don’t deal well with abstract thinking and prefer concrete yes or no answers. I loved doing fill-ins for extra credit though: https://api.razzlepuzzles.com/fillin

The only foreign language I took was Spanish, and while I liked learning new words I didn’t like learning tense conjugation and grammar, which made anything past Spanish 2 insufferable. I get the teacher’s perspective that it’s more important to learn conjugation and grammar as we can just look up individual words in a Spanish-English dictionary or on the internet, but the new words were the fun part and so when that got stopped I just ended up hating the class.

The only real take away I’ve been able to get from this is that I’d like teaching if it weren’t for the payscale, and I like doing “solve for X” type of equations. I’m not sure how to make a successful career out of either of those things though. I want to make enough that I can take vacations every year and afford to send my future kids if any to college and retire without ever having to worry about money. But I don’t want to be stuck working long hours doing a job I hate just to be able to have that. Considering I’m likely going to have to work for the next 4-5 decades of my life, I’d prefer to be doing a job I ENJOY. I just haven’t found anything where enjoyable and financially sound go together for me. If you have any ideas or ways that helped you decide on your careers, I’d love to hear them.

Current Cosplays: Sheena Fujibayashi (young/successor version)

Upcoming Cosplays: Suzu Fujibayashi, Team Magma Grunt, White Mage

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon

Conventions Attended:

Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Anime Midwest 2018
(Nov) Daisho Con 2018

Last edited by Chiagirl : 08-11-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #2
Tigress

I'll let you in on a secret: No job is going to be 100% perfect for you. Every job has pros and cons. If not the job, the place you're working for. You have to prioritize what qualities are most important to you and use that as a base for picking your career. Do you like flexible hours or having a schedule? Do you prefer working indoors or outdoors? Do you like collaborative environments or working on your own?

You also aren't obligated to stay in the job you're in for 40-50 years if you don't like it. No one stays in the same career for their entire lives anymore. My college major was computer science and I didn't go into IT until five years after I graduated. I worked retail and real estate during that time. Even though I work in my chosen field now, I also have a side business from my home as a freelance costume artist and teach at my do jang in exchange for discounted monthly dues.

As for college, fill out a FAFSA if you haven't already. FAFSA will help you identify federal and state funding options you may qualify for. Go to colleges you are interested in and schedule an appointment with their financial aid departments to discuss funding options. There are also options like the Pell Grant, GI Bill, low-cost loans, and work study programs that can help fund college.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
My FAFSA came back with an EFC of $1309 so I should be getting showered in financial aid right? Nope. The University I want to go to charges over $40,000 a year for tuition, room, and board. I only got about $29,000 in aid...of which $10,500 is loans (that's a financial BURDEN, not aid you idiots) $4,000 is work study (I can make more than that a year working at literally any retail or fast food place...) and the college itself only gave me $7,000 in grants (the rest coming from the government). I'm over $14,000 short of my EFC (over $25,000 when you factor in that the loans have to be paid back, and that's not even counting the interest they're going to accumulate) so please tell me what the point of that number is. When I was fresh out of high school you hardly gave me any aid since my EFC was so high because of my parents (even though they refused to pay for my education) and now that I'm no longer required to list them on the FAFSA you STILL won't give me enough aid even though my EFC is so low? I can't win here.
FAFSA has been no help as far as far as making things affordable goes, and being that the upfront cost of higher education is astronomical I can't afford to change my major if I decide I don't like my field anymore. It's why I've put off getting a bachelor's for 4 years already; I can't afford to invest what basically amounts to a mortgage into something I may end up disliking or won't make me good money. (And unlike with an actual mortgage, I can't sell off the old degree to help finance the new one.) My parents have refused to cosign on any student loans (thank my cousins for that, they haven't paid theirs and my aunts are being held liable and have warned my parents never to cosign because of it) so what student loans I'm able to get without their assets and ability to payback factored in is very limited. I've only got one shot at this, and I have to make sure I get it right or I'll be paying for it for the rest of my life.

Current Cosplays: Sheena Fujibayashi (young/successor version)

Upcoming Cosplays: Suzu Fujibayashi, Team Magma Grunt, White Mage

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon

Conventions Attended:

Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Anime Midwest 2018
(Nov) Daisho Con 2018
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Zoeyromanov

Well as Tigress said, no job will be 100% perfect, you'll have to sacrifice thing one for the other -- maybe one job pays much better than the other, but the commute is longer. One pays less, but you'll enjoy yourself because it's in the environment you've been looking for. You'll really have to weigh your options and take a real, long hard look to be sure you're willing to do that. If you don't me weighing in also, I completely feel you. I personally have been busting my own ass to get myself out of doing some menial for minimum wage. Right now, I'm not doing anything as I'm taking a long needed rest after college before looking for a job and I'm going to be very picky. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm not going to sell my self out for a piece of paper just to live. That's just not me, and I can tell we're in the same boat. I'm in a pit of a career pickle myself. I've had personal experiences that's taught me that I deserved better than that.

Back to you though, it's nice that you've had good grades in school. But that really doesn't matter on paper when you're applying for a job (maybe in some cases you do I guess). Based on what you've said, I'd completely go for archaeology. You did say you hated the hot temperatures and getting your hands dirty, but it is definitely a step-up from a desk job, working at McDonald's (I'm not making light of people who work there but hey, this is a career we're talking about here) and all that. I'm sure you'd have water on hand, be able to wash your hands and no one says you can't wear gloves when digging something up. You mention that being a librarian has basically the same pay as being a teacher (and btw that part about the teacher's rights being taken away, I felt that this year...from the strike near Christmas season) but if you love reading that much, it's a pay off. And speaking of teachers, even though you're put off from the rights being taken away, you'll also have to ask yourself if you're willing to put with 'genius' kids in the class since you mentioned high school. Maybe a college teacher might be right for you. Although you're stilling dealing with the rights but that can be looked into maybe, if you're becoming serious. You mentioned the hours, but, if you opt for being a college teacher (just for argument's sake) you'll probably get 4 months off for the summer instead of the 2 months (barely). You could even teach summer school, from my experience as a student it was so much better. It's much more chill. I'm not an early person either, but adding to the time off, you could only do 1 class a week or so, and it's in the afternoon - maybe the school will be flexible with hours. Or, you could do 1 - 2 classes in the morning per week then go home to sleep it off. That's what I did sometimes.

I wouldn't worry too much about when being married and having kids just yet, not that I'm dissuading you or anything, it's just that it'd better off to be financially stable before taking a dive like that either way. Only then can you make a decision with a future husband on how to save up money for your own kids, but only when that time comes. I'd worry more so about yourself right now as how to how you'll get back on your feet. A final note I'll leave you with is, only you can make the final call. We can help guide you, but it's you who'll be making a decision, something we can't make for you. I know this was long but I hope it helped in any way . Good luck!

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
Trickstar Sweet Devil, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]
Trickstar Band Sweet Guitar, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / Twitter

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 08-13-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
FAFSA has been no help as far as far as making things affordable goes, and being that the upfront cost of higher education is astronomical I can't afford to change my major if I decide I don't like my field anymore. It's why I've put off getting a bachelor's for 4 years already; I can't afford to invest what basically amounts to a mortgage into something I may end up disliking or won't make me good money. (And unlike with an actual mortgage, I can't sell off the old degree to help finance the new one.) My parents have refused to cosign on any student loans (thank my cousins for that, they haven't paid theirs and my aunts are being held liable and have warned my parents never to cosign because of it) so what student loans I'm able to get without their assets and ability to payback factored in is very limited. I've only got one shot at this, and I have to make sure I get it right or I'll be paying for it for the rest of my life.
Re-read my original reply. My major was computer science, but I couldn't find a job in my field when I graduated. I graduated right when the dot-com bubble popped and unaccredited tech schools were becoming popular, so I was competing with people that had 5-10 years of experience and/or certifications in popular systems. I sold cell phones for six months, then worked in real estate for 4 years. Writing title insurance policies wasn't very glamorous, was kinda tedious, and so not what I went to school for, but it put food on the table. I probably would still be working in real estate now if my town hadn't gotten a Best Buy and was hiring for Geek Squad.

Have you considered your local community college? It's cheaper and usually has more career-focused course tracks. The one I work at partners with local companies that hire you directly from college upon successful completion of your program. If you have your heart set on university, community college will at least let you get the general courses out of the way and transfer them over, usually at a fraction of the price of university. And community college often has programs for students that are struggling to pay.

If your chosen career doesn't work out for you, it's not totally unheard of for people to go back to school later in life to train for a new career. My mom went back to school when I was in college to get an accounting degree. About a third of my classmates in college were "returning adult" students training for a new career or didn't complete their degree when they were younger.

And frankly, unless you are in a particular field, NO ONE cares about where you went to school. My alma mater is better known for its teaching and law programs, not computer science. But no one bats an eye when they see it on my resume.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Respawning

I'm about to be 35, married with 2 kids, and I STILL don't know what I want to be when I 'grow up'. I have a BSc but have never used my degree as it is in primatology (monkey studies) and I would be required to go on for a masters or PhD to really use it. I only had 1 'real' job that could have turned into a career (bank administration), but I never went back after my maternity leave (I'm in Canada, we get that here) because it was stressful and I just didn't care enough to take the courses I would need to move higher in it. Other than that I have only really worked customer service/management jobs in retail. What I had to do is really analyze what I DID enjoy about my previous jobs and try to think of something I could do with those skills, as opposed to focusing on what I was good at in school. I enjoyed the more administrative side of my banking job (hated the sales pressure), and I like becoming the 'go-to' person on a team who knows how to do things or where to find them. I also have great written and verbal communication skills, and a lot of patience dealing with people (thank you retail). I really do like to help people out, as long as I'm not also expected to compromise my personal integrity/honesty to sell them something. I also need a job that won't stress me out too much so I can enjoy my hobbies (like cosplay), and can work around having a family. So I have decided to go back to school for an administrative roll in the medical field as I can finish the program in 5 months and get back into the workforce more quickly.

Try to think of what you want from your career and see what fits with your lifestyle. I never expect to be wealthy, but want a decent wage from a low stress job. I also want to take advantage of the organizational skills I have discovered I have (looking around my house you would never know I can be very organized), and have a job that allows for me to be with my kids and still enjoy my hobbies. Look into local colleges that have more trade/profession focused courses.

I don't know if any of that helped, but just wanted to let you know that even a "grown up" married with kids and a house still doesn't really know what she is doing, and you can always change your mind in the future as your life and needs change.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC, Ciri
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Galadriel, DC Bombshells Batwoman, Art Nouveau mermaid, Flemmigan (Morrigan/Flemeth) Dragon Age
Working on: Faun OC

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group

Last edited by Respawning : 08-19-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote