Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 11-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #2731
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
So I cosplay Ticci Toby but not sure if it works or not
You have a very androgynous face so I think what you read as is going to depend very much on context of what you're wearing; if I saw you in male clothes/as a male character I would probably assume you were a guy. There is something slightly more feminine about the gif than the static pic, because of the way you move in it, though I don't think it's enough to stop you from passing to most people. In this thread, we're actively looking a lot more closely than the average congoer does just so we can offer advice.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #2732
CharmingDevil
Token Awkward Muffin

I'm still working on improving my crossplay makeup skills so any feedback is greatly appreciated!! I feel like I'm almost there but missing something? I've tried contouring but the end result looked like I had dirt all over my face. I've been told I have a pretty androgynous face so don't need contouring but I don't know... Maybe I'm just being too critical of myself? Anywho, here's some pics of me crossplaying (without contouring).

Sasuke close up
Sasuke full body
Eren close up
Eren full body
Rin close up
Rin full body (I'm the one on the right)

Kumoricon 2017 (ideas):
Zuko - Avatar: The Last Airbender (100%)

Sakura Con 2018 (ideas):
Kagura - Inuyasha (50%)
Seras - Hellsing Ultimate (0%)
Gin (festival kimono) - Hotarubi no Mori e (0%)
Yoichi - Drifters (0%)
Sasuke - Naruto (100%)

PAX West 2018 (ideas):
Jace - Magic: The Gathering (20%)
Ashley - Until Dawn (80%)
CharmingDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #2733
belligerent
Viking Metal

I do agree that you're androgynous but if you want to pass more effectively, what you're going to have to do is add enough "masculine" markers to tip the scale into "definitely male." The last picture (rin full body) reads the most male to me body-wise but your face still seems to be (to me) on the feminine side of androgynous. Contouring can help with this.

I can pass without contouring because I have enough "masculine" markers for it; I've been asked by security at airports to prove I'm female when I use the restroom and patted down by male TSA agents. However, I still contour because it helps sell the illusion I want. (Recently I was in a craftsmanship contest where they examined me very closely, I talked to them for at least five minutes, and I still got called "he" when my name was called for an award. I'm sure the judges probably would have been more impressed if they knew I wasn't actually a dude....)

Can we see an example of what you've done to try contouring? Then we might be able to give you specific pointers on how to fix it.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2015, 02:36 AM   #2734
Lukas_L

Hi people. I am new here and I would like to know what do you think about my crossplay. Just for fun I want you to guess who am I crossplaying. It might be hard to figure from this photo so I will add one more later it is bad quality I have to sharpen it. One friend of mine was wearing this for a con and I had few unsensitive remarks about it long story short ... lets say I will never bet her again. She made me wear it and used some make up on me. I enhanced the photo a little by sharpening it and cleaning it up for a bit. I would like to know if I pass or not because she said I really look better than her in the costume which i dont think is true. She wants us to go to the next con in matching costumes and I dont want to be laughed at there so I decided to ask here first. Just for record I am boy 19 years old. So what do you think people do I pass or not? Hint: I crossplay as (Lina Inverse)

Code:
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr190/Lukas_Lina/Lina/asdwqa_zpsg0z2gkrk.jpg
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr190/Lukas_Lina/Lina/reher_zpsoasqhfmk.jpg

Last edited by Lukas_L : 12-15-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Lukas_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2016, 01:02 AM   #2735
Galaxithea
All Cosplay & No Coswork

Hello. I have an image of me doing a makeup test for the human embodiment of misery here.
I did not use any makeup (other than the paint) yet. I'm posting this because I'm wondering what I would have to do to pass for female in this picture.
Unread 01-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #2736
neozero

Hey I thought I'd share my Mew Zakuro Cos with you!

I'm actually not that concerned with passing but I'm happy how this turned out! I feel really pretty in it <3 <3 <3, and I'm really happy to do it.

Also, if anyone wants to be a mew mew with me at katsucon, please hmu
neozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #2737
pinku
Badass Uke

Quote:
I'm still working on improving my crossplay makeup skills so any feedback is greatly appreciated!! I feel like I'm almost there but missing something? I've tried contouring but the end result looked like I had dirt all over my face. I've been told I have a pretty androgynous face so don't need contouring but I don't know... Maybe I'm just being too critical of myself? Anywho, here's some pics of me crossplaying (without contouring).

Sasuke close up
Sasuke full body
I think the puckered lips don't help much, it looks too girly still. Try thinking manly thoughts (if that works) maybe study male photos and try to mimic them, I dunno if I'm much help @_@ Overall the body shot looks great!

Quote:
Eren close up
Eren full body
here I think your hips give you away, maybe try different pants. I don't know if you're wearing actual men's jeans of women's but there's something about them that makes your hips too prominent.

Quote:
Rin close up
Here I think you did a pretty good job

Last edited by pinku : 01-27-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: forgot to quote
pinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #2738
CharmingDevil
Token Awkward Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinku View Post
I think the puckered lips don't help much, it looks too girly still. Try thinking manly thoughts (if that works) maybe study male photos and try to mimic them, I dunno if I'm much help @_@ Overall the body shot looks great!
I didn't notice until you said this but I naturally pucker my lips. What you see in the pictures is my resting face. This helps a lot though! I guess I just need to concentrate more on forming my face a certain way. I'll definitely look at some male photos. That may help.

Quote:
here I think your hips give you away, maybe try different pants. I don't know if you're wearing actual men's jeans of women's but there's something about them that makes your hips too prominent.
I was indeed wearing woman's jeans in this picture. I've been meaning to buy a pair or two of men's jeans specifically for crossplay purposes. But thank you for pointing it out regardless. I noticed how prominent my hips look as well.

Quote:
Here I think you did a pretty good job
Thank you! This one was probably my favorite as well.

Kumoricon 2017 (ideas):

Sakura Con 2018 (ideas):
Kagura - Inuyasha (50%)
Yoichi - Drifters (0%)
Sasuke - Naruto (100%)

PAX West 2018 (ideas):
Unread 01-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #2739
pinku
Badass Uke

@LiebeSelbstMord no problem! ^-^ I'm happy to help in any way I can (:
pinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #2740
Viveeh
mango puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiebeSelbstmord View Post
I guess I just need to concentrate more on forming my face a certain way.
That's very important. Your general expression and body language. I always end up having a headache from holding my eyebrows up all day when cosplaying a female character but it's worth it haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxithea View Post
Hello. I have an image of me doing a makeup test for the human embodiment of misery here.
I did not use any makeup (other than the paint) yet. I'm posting this because I'm wondering what I would have to do to pass for female in this picture.
Define your eyes and lips! Add a little bit of color and make them stand out. Those are the most important parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas_L View Post
I would like to know if I pass or not because she said I really look better than her in the costume which i dont think is true. She wants us to go to the next con in matching costumes and I dont want to be laughed at there so I decided to ask here first. Just for record I am boy 19 years old. So what do you think people do I pass or not?

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/r...psg0z2gkrk.jpg
http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/r...psoasqhfmk.jpg
It's hard to see from the photos but overall you do look really good!

Quote:

Sasuke close up
Sasuke full body
Eren close up
Eren full body
Rin close up
You look really good overall but in my personal opinion I don't like how the pale lips look. They look kind of dead. I know people do that a lot for ftm cosplay but it usually just looks like too much makeup.
Prince Alphie
DJ Octavio

Support me
My Instagram

Last edited by Viveeh : 02-01-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #2741
CharmingDevil
Token Awkward Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viveeh View Post
You look really good overall but in my personal opinion I don't like how the pale lips look. They look kind of dead. I know people do that a lot for ftm cosplay but it usually just looks like too much makeup.
I know what you mean. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn't. However, I have to do something to my lips when I crossplay because I have naturally very pinkish red lips so in pictures I look like I'm wearing lip color when I'm not. Found that out the hard way the first time I crossplayed. After receiving my pictures back from the photographer, it looked like I was a dude wearing lipstick... Regardless, maybe I just need to practice more with my lip makeup so they look more natural and not so dead....

Kumoricon 2017 (ideas):

Sakura Con 2018 (ideas):
Kagura - Inuyasha (50%)
Yoichi - Drifters (0%)
Sasuke - Naruto (100%)

PAX West 2018 (ideas):
Unread 02-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #2742
RavenDarkness7
I am a creature of night.

Quote:
I know what you mean. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn't. However, I have to do something to my lips when I crossplay because I have naturally very pinkish red lips so in pictures I look like I'm wearing lip color when I'm not. Found that out the hard way the first time I crossplayed. After receiving my pictures back from the photographer, it looked like I was a dude wearing lipstick... Regardless, maybe I just need to practice more with my lip makeup so they look more natural and not so dead....
Have you tried using a regular nude lipstick?
I'm not sure what you use but most people use concealer over their lips to tone down the color and it can be a bit too much and start to form crease lines over time unless you reapply.
I find that a nude lipstick, not too flat a nude mind you, works much better.
Viktor Nikiforov Duet - Yuri on Ice!!! {WORKING 20%}

Attending-- Upcoming Cons
North Texas Comic Book Show as Imperator Furiosa - Mad Max: Fury Road

My Pages
Facebook
Deviantart
ACParadise

Last edited by RavenDarkness7 : 02-04-2016 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Typos
RavenDarkness7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #2743
CharmingDevil
Token Awkward Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenDarkness7 View Post
Have you tried using a regular nude lipstick?
I'm not sure what you use but most people use concealer over their lips to tone down the color and it can be a bit too much and start to form crease lines over time unless you reapply.
I find that a nude lipstick, not too flat a nude mind you, works much better.
I have tried using a nude colored lipstick but I didn't like the way it looked. Do you have any suggestions for a good lipstick? I currently use a concealer stick on my lips and out of everything I've tried, I like it the best. But if not done right it does look too harsh so I know what you mean. I'm always open to suggestions! Thank you all so far for your helpful tips!

Kumoricon 2017 (ideas):

Sakura Con 2018 (ideas):
Kagura - Inuyasha (50%)
Yoichi - Drifters (0%)
Sasuke - Naruto (100%)

PAX West 2018 (ideas):
Unread 02-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #2744
Emmejo

@LiebeSelbstmord

Another thing you could try for dulling lips without making them look the same color as your face is using a lip balm and then lightly powdering your lips. In my experience, it lets you control how much coverage you get better than using concealer. I often use that technique because my lips tend to be dry and a thin enough layer of concealer tends to look uneven.

I have also used a small bit of a lip balm or thicker lip gloss and mixed up a custom tint with a little concealer and/or eyeshadow and/or powder. Once mixed up, it doesn't last long before the texture gets funked, but it will get you through a con weekend.
*The Enchanted City
*Wizarding Weekend

Also can be found at gothicmagpie.tumblr.com
Emmejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #2745
CharmingDevil
Token Awkward Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmejo View Post
@LiebeSelbstmord

Another thing you could try for dulling lips without making them look the same color as your face is using a lip balm and then lightly powdering your lips. In my experience, it lets you control how much coverage you get better than using concealer. I often use that technique because my lips tend to be dry and a thin enough layer of concealer tends to look uneven.

I have also used a small bit of a lip balm or thicker lip gloss and mixed up a custom tint with a little concealer and/or eyeshadow and/or powder. Once mixed up, it doesn't last long before the texture gets funked, but it will get you through a con weekend.
I'll definitely have to try this technique! Thank you!

Kumoricon 2017 (ideas):

Sakura Con 2018 (ideas):
Kagura - Inuyasha (50%)
Yoichi - Drifters (0%)
Sasuke - Naruto (100%)

PAX West 2018 (ideas):