Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #361
SaskWhovian

Wild Boar burger. Nom.

Went to a local bar/pub place that had them on the menu. I got the last one! Not sure when they get them back but oh my goodness I want more.

Also apple crisp = delicious. Favourite dessert ever.

DRAGON*CON 2011:
Captain Jack Harkness (Torchwood/Dr Who):100% Saturday and Sunday
Victor "Sully" Sullivan (Uncharted):100% Friday and Monday
FINALLY READY!
SaskWhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #362
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

There was an establishment somewhere that sold, like, lion burgers and shit.
Obviously it was shut down. But yeah. Weird.

There really IS a roadkill cafe near my hometown. If you run that shit over and clean it, they'll cook if for you. "You kill it, we grill it" and all that jazz.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #363
SaskWhovian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post

There really IS a roadkill cafe near my hometown. If you run that shit over and clean it, they'll cook if for you. "You kill it, we grill it" and all that jazz.

That... does not sound appetizing at all.

DRAGON*CON 2011:
FINALLY READY!
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #364
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Long as it's not something like possum or raccoon, it's usually totally fine. it has to be cleaned before it spoils, of course, but in wintertime it can last quite a while on the road before spoiling. Why waste perfectly good meat if you hit a deer or moose? ...or heck, even a porcupine. They're apparently like a fatty pork, but they're very hard to prepare with all the quills and such.

...on a non-fleshy note, I am addicted to yam tempura. It's sooooooooooooooooo good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #365
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Long as it's not something like possum or raccoon, it's usually totally fine. it has to be cleaned before it spoils, of course, but in wintertime it can last quite a while on the road before spoiling. Why waste perfectly good meat if you hit a deer or moose? ...or heck, even a porcupine. They're apparently like a fatty pork, but they're very hard to prepare with all the quills and such.

...on a non-fleshy note, I am addicted to yam tempura. It's sooooooooooooooooo good.
Yam tempura IS good, dude.

I'd eat it in a box.
I'd eat it with a fox.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #366
SaskWhovian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
(Words)
Why waste perfectly good meat if you hit a deer or moose? ...or heck, even a porcupine. (more words)
Ok, I admit deer and moose are delicious... not so sure about porcupine though.

My Dad did try and get me to try Muskrat when he dragged me off to Quebec before. It was very greasy, gamey and full of tiny bones.

And by greasy I mean if you didn't wash your hands right away and let the fat cool it was like glue.

DRAGON*CON 2011:
FINALLY READY!
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #367
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I certainly couldn't eat muskrat. They're just....gross.
Porcupine's pretty rare game nowadays. It used to be part of the native diets, but it wasn't too easy to come by. And I'm not sure if you can legally hunt them nowadays, so roadkill probably would be the only way to get a taste. I'm not anxious, though. I'm not a big fan of pork-tasting meats. It's been described to me as similar to baby back ribs, but much fattier. Beaver's similar, too. (The tail is almost all fat)
Quote:
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #368
SaskWhovian

When people mention Beaver tales I think of the dessert and not the animal >.>

Fried flat dough with various delicious toppings on it. MmMmMmmm.

DRAGON*CON 2011:
FINALLY READY!
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #369
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

That's delicious too, of course. I also know them as bear paws (Pure Canadian, if it weren't already obvious XD. I've tried every signature Canadian dish out there. Except sipaille, because nobody in my family hunts.)
Quote:
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #370
SaskWhovian

Beaver tails, poutine... the list goes on. All delicously Canadian.

I loved it when I lived in the UK and I tried to explain poutine to them. The reaction was always:

"Wait.. you put on cheese AND gravy?! That... that is disgusting!"

... and then I made it for them and they loved it. Sadly I couldn't make proper gravy. Out there is is all... just add water granual type gravy. Blech.

DRAGON*CON 2011:
FINALLY READY!
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #371
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Butter tarts, ketchup chips, things involving maple syrup- when I was younger, we used to make our own, too, which is SO much better than the storebought crap, and tortiere as well. My boyfriend has an American half on his family, and any time they go down to the states, they always get begged to pick up ketchup chips and butter tarts. And bring the beer. (My Mom makes AWESOME homemade butter tarts. Back in elementary school, they'd sell out at every bake sale.)
Quote:
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #372
SaskWhovian

Ah butter tarts... so so delicious. The one thing I LIKE raisins in.

When I lived in Ontario I was near a Maple suryp farm. Loved it.. all the maple candy they had. Drool worthy!

DRAGON*CON 2011:
FINALLY READY!
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #373
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Lol. I lived basically off the grid most of my childhood in borderline Northern Ontario (about a hundred kilometers north of Toronto and a little eastward), so we had about ten big sugar maples that we tapped every year. We'd bake ourselves out of the house boiling the syrup in Mom's giant casserole pot.
And we'd catch our own trout every year when they ran up the brook by our house, but trout's disgusting and bony.
Quote:
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #374
SaskWhovian

I grew up just outside of Niagara Falls. I loved going to things like The Friendship Festival in Fort Erie cause of all the food places and that. Big celebration between Buffalo, NY and Fort Erie, On

DRAGON*CON 2011:
FINALLY READY!
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #375
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskWhovian View Post
"Wait.. you put on cheese AND gravy?! That... that is disgusting!"
Poutine is relatively unknown here, but any diner you go to on Long Island will serve you fries with melted mozzarella and gravy, which is almost the same.

I don't think I could eat anything that was on the side of the road, etc. There are only maybe four types of animal I can bring myself to eat at all, and only in certain cuts. Really I should just go vegetarian. Sigh. My mother gave me this vegetarian Bible when I got married, and I haven't made nearly enough use of it; you could go through that book and never need to make anything with meat again.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote