Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Unread 11-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Morrigan [Dragon Age] - Technial Questions

Couple things about Morrigan from Dragon Age Origins that I need help with. More of what materials to use or what to google haha.

I'm basing it more of of the first image. More of a glowy pendant, bigger shoulder piece, and more bikini part showing. Looks way cooler that way than in-game haha.

For her necklace, the top part, I had a few ideas on how to make that. I swear I've seen belts around like that...stretchy metal ones. And I know I've seen atrocious necklaces like that too. I was thinking of getting wood or metal long pieces and putting them together but I dunno. Seems like it wouldn't work right. And for the big pendant, I was thinking of foil tagboard with maybe clay and for the middle part MAYBE some resin?

Also, notice the bikini ATTACHES to the pendant? wtf? Obviously, won't be enough support. Think there would be a way to rig some system to hide the string behind the necklace and hoodie so it can go around my neck without it showing too much?

For the hoodie, what the hell do I google for a pattern? I know it's not much in season right now but I might be able to find something somewhere or maybe in discontinued patterns. Or something somewhere to take apart. I don't know what's called though, that style. Or if anyone knows what that pattern piece would look like to make it from scratch. I know I've seen stuff like that before. And on the hood, I can't tell if that's her hair peeking through the top or what.

I think I pretty much have the skirt figured out. But any thoughts would be welcome

It would be cool to have like....glowy balls as magic or something to have in my hands. And ideas?

Last edited by Rexluna : 11-10-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Rexluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Moennet
I am female dammit!

necklace: You could get wood peices and spraypaint them gold and make the rest with model magic, its sandable! The lower part of the necklace looks like grapefruit pink pearls strung a half inch apart. The upper part, I think, could be made from seeds or oval shaped beads.

hood: you could get a hooded jacket pattern and sew the rest with trial and error.(actually i think thats a kind of overshirt! You could combine the two patterns! )(My mom says its a very low cowl neck.)
sleeve/spaulder: you could sew a sleeve and make the spaulder out of a papermache base and model magic, then paint (or add fabric) and feathers.
top: a light lavender purple bikini top, one string attached to each bikini cup and tied in a knot (I'd reinforce it with some kind of glue), and a longer string and another longer than that and pearls a bit smaller strung a little closer together on the last string.
glove: a fingerless glove.

pants: ... umm.... lots of belts, boots with tick straps.
boots: I think these would need window paint (you could also use latex paint) and youe could sew through them with a thick needle and thread... (you might need several)
pm me if you need anymore help. ^_^

Marluxia (KH2)
If you can't find me here, I'm on youtube as Bannananaabrigade or on WoW as Shmexxyer or Moennet on Azuremyst.
WARNING: I DO NOT SUB THREADS, I GENERALLY DON'T HAVE THE TIME, IF I AM HELPING YOU WITH SOMETHING PLEASE PM ME.

Last edited by Moennet : 11-10-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Moennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Moennet
I am female dammit!

Also, pm me for the glowing balls I've had thoughts about making something like that, but I can't talk about it right now.

Marluxia (KH2)
If you can't find me here, I'm on youtube as Bannananaabrigade or on WoW as Shmexxyer or Moennet on Azuremyst.
WARNING: I DO NOT SUB THREADS, I GENERALLY DON'T HAVE THE TIME, IF I AM HELPING YOU WITH SOMETHING PLEASE PM ME.
Unread 11-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
cachalot
Blue Mage

Could you make the necklace an extension of the bikini's string? You could cross the string in an X. The front where it comes together and attaches to the pendant could be the midpoint of the X. The string would then continue in the opposite direction up and around the back of your neck. If you used craft wire to keep its shape, the necklace could be placed around the string and used to hide it.

Photography: http://www.seventhmoon.org/photography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gerodere
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gertysk
cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

@ moenet: Ah, yes, it IS a cowl neck. That might help in my search if my trial and error fails lol. I'll have to keep all that stuff in mind and do some testing. I'd love to hear your ideas for the glowing balls.

@cachalot: Hmm..that's not a bad idea. I was going to try and make some loop behind behind the pendant to thread it through but that might be easier.

For the cowl neck, I found this image which portrays the kind of look that Morrigan's hoodie seems to have. If i could attach that to the hoodie I made (while keeping it one piece) maybe that would work?

There's a video here that shoes Morrigan in a winter-ized version of that same outfit. Almost the same. Shoes a way better version of the necklace and well, it's an awesome video anyhow. I kinda wanna do that version as well. Maybe I'll eventually find some stills.

Last edited by Rexluna : 11-11-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Unread 11-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Moennet
I am female dammit!

I couldn't find the morrigan in the video.

Marluxia (KH2)
Unread 11-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

you could slightly alter the costume because the way her shirt fits seems to defy the boob coverage gravity, i would use a swimsuit pattern yet alter it so that it has a sort of like a flowly drape tankini with a down cleavage.

-->( v O x O)O"
toshirua3846384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Lol she was the one in the beginning complaining about freezing to death. She's the one that turned into a spider.

Toshirua, you mean the hoodie? And the winter or normal one?
Unread 11-13-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexluna View Post
Lol she was the one in the beginning complaining about freezing to death. She's the one that turned into a spider.

Toshirua, you mean the hoodie? And the winter or normal one?
she also depending if you get far enough can turn into a black bear and a swarm of insects, i find her personaly a little snooty killing my character approval rates but shes still a good idea to cosplay as.

and no not a hoodie more like a flowy swimsuit tank top with a drape with extra matching fabric hanging down. and the normal costume robes she wears when you first meet her in the kokari woods with flemeth

-->( v O x O)O"
Unread 11-13-2009, 03:24 AM   #10
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Yeah, I know she's a bitch, that that's what makes her character so fun. And I know about the other shapeshifting, I meant in reference to the video.

I was thinking along the lines of a hoodie since it's easy to add the front portion and take out a part of the back than to sew on a hood or whatever. My mom said I could probably find a hoodie to add stuff to and alter but I doubt I'd find the right fabric/color and I kinda wanna go from scratch.

Found an AWESOME picture of the winter outfit (which doesn't exist in game but I'm doing both anyways). Didn't realize the skirt was different too. Looks like she has a leather bra too, haha.
Unread 11-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #11
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Quote:
Yeah, I know she's a bitch, that that's what makes her character so fun. And I know about the other shapeshifting, I meant in reference to the video.

I was thinking along the lines of a hoodie since it's easy to add the front portion and take out a part of the back than to sew on a hood or whatever. My mom said I could probably find a hoodie to add stuff to and alter but I doubt I'd find the right fabric/color and I kinda wanna go from scratch.

Found an AWESOME picture of the winter outfit (which doesn't exist in game but I'm doing both anyways). Didn't realize the skirt was different too. Looks like she has a leather bra too, haha.
yes indeedi you are right about her signifiagant attitude prob, but i still like having her around, i just realized that , that was her on the cover of a poster with that hoodie on. oh and yes thats a leather bra with the cotton tablecloth like thing that holds them in. the hoodie idea does sound easy, and i liked that other pic that isnt in the game so i would recommend it, however as for finding the near to perfect fabric im clueless, all i really can see is if you find some material that has the apperance of a spandex meets royale expensive velvet like quality with the addition to leather. oh and the skirt is sorta like that one woman of that final fantasy game which i think is 10, idk i nvr really had a intrest playing the game my bf did however. it looks like a leather short mini with bold buck leather straps and buckles hanging from it with the additon of fake animal fur like a chegale perhaps?

-->( v O x O)O"
Unread 11-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #12
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

What I was going to do for the regular skirt (which is like Lulu's from FF10, you were on the right track haha) was basically have a top part lined with fake fur, then get some random cheap belts and leather strips to hang down and bam, done. The other skirt though, I dunno. Looks like two layers of fabric sewn together inside out, then turned right side out and attached to a similar top to her normal skirt with some random stitching. This one has no fur though and has a belt. Weird that this seems less warm for the weather. Haha.
Unread 11-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #13
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Quote:
What I was going to do for the regular skirt (which is like Lulu's from FF10, you were on the right track haha) was basically have a top part lined with fake fur, then get some random cheap belts and leather strips to hang down and bam, done. The other skirt though, I dunno. Looks like two layers of fabric sewn together inside out, then turned right side out and attached to a similar top to her normal skirt with some random stitching. This one has no fur though and has a belt. Weird that this seems less warm for the weather. Haha.
lol confused when it comes to the last part but with that said im pretty sure all will go well for your cosplay, what i would do for the skirt is try to do *lulu's* skirt except a bit shorter and than turn it inside out and attach another layer on top of it. as far as it being less warm for the weather she could just turn into a bear and that would solve all problems lol.

-->( v O x O)O"
Unread 11-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Hm. Came across a problem/issue/question. What to do for her normal outfit to keep the freaking shirt on. I bought a bunch of that fake leather stuff from Joanns, that stuff that's in the home section for $34.99 a yard (yay for coupons) and I'm gonna make the whole skirt out of it but see, here's the issue. It might be a bit heavy, and of course, I have to use thicker needles to sew with. But I was going to essentially have the top be like a wrap and then fasten somehow in the front. But what would be strong enough to keep it up?

And sad times. Winter Morrigan has a different necklace. Double the work T.T

Last edited by Rexluna : 11-30-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
umbrellas

I'm not in the actual crafting part of my costume yet, but I had thought about the skirt's construction as well. If you are doing the leather in-game skirt- here's what I figured I'd do.

I'd hide a zipper underneath the patch-part of the top of the skirt (on her left).

My plan is to put in a zipper to be done up on the left side, then sew the patch on in the back and up to the zipper (maybe even around it a bit on the bottom, more or less- sew it on as much as possible so long as the zipper is still accessible to be done up and undone) and have the part of the patch that can't be sewn on velcro-ed in place- leaving the stitching in the very front strictly decorative. That way the skirt would fit snug, but the accuracy wouldn't be ruined ^_^

Hopefully my intention is clear, but that's what I plan to do. I'm not starting this cosplay 'til after christmas though, so I won't be able to show you pictures of my own efforts until likely January

I'm super excited though, this game has been such fun, I'm really looking forward to making this costume and showing it off. Plus, most exciting of all, I've managed to convince my mother to be the Flemeth to my Morrigan ^_^

SO EXCITED!

In any case- best of luck with your costume! Hope my suggestion helps!
umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote