Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 09-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
Zoeyromanov

Having trouble deciphering this hairstyle.

I'm not entirely sure this cosplay will pan out but just asking for future reference. The character in question in this one here, called Trickstar Sweet Devil: https://pre00.deviantart.net/3748/th...99-dblydkf.png

She is meant to be the inverse of this monster character here (named Holy Angel): https://78.media.tumblr.com/d6c19d5f...h62o1_1280.png

As Holy Angel's name may suggest, her appearance is that of well, an angel and her hair is styled into a big ponytail with part of the hair at the top resembling a halo. With Sweet Devil being the opposite, I'd imagine her hair style is similar. I can tell that part of her hair is designed to resemble devil horns, but I can't completely make it out. I looked at multiple references but she's only appeared in one episode of Yugioh VRains (her respective anime) only once but from what I can see it's a still ponytail? With a headphone-like gear on.

Other references:
https://78.media.tumblr.com/bd2dcde4...h62o2_1280.png (side)
https://78.media.tumblr.com/888c2865...h62o9_1280.png (close up)
https://78.media.tumblr.com/9fe769c1...inevo1_500.png (slightly simplified version of a fan character wearing the outfit in the anime)
https://78.media.tumblr.com/02da7654...h62o1_1280.png (another close up)
https://78.media.tumblr.com/2df78cd7...h62o2_1280.png
https://78.media.tumblr.com/a23bf166...psb1o1_500.jpg (fan art)

I'd imagine I'd be using a Jeannie from Arda in black, with maroon wefts and foam to hold at up the sides.

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
Trickstar Sweet Devil, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]
Trickstar Band Sweet Guitar, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / Twitter

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
walkerofdarknes

I had to sit there and figure this one out for a few minutes, but then I came to realize the problem with it. That grey/brown backing on her was driving me nuts until I figured out it's not her hair. That's some sort of backing/wing to it, but I don't think it's hair. If we assume it's not hair, then this becomes pretty easy.

If you had a long wig that falls to nearly the small of your back, you'd set the back part of it into a split ponytail starting just at the knot of your head (the bone spur at the top of your neck). The two tails run down your back, and are curled up into the flares with those tips ending...probably just a bit below your shoulder blades, maybe around the small of your back. I'd test the placement with some wire to see what looks best. The sides of it are curled up into the devil's horns (if you want it to be wig and not a customized hairband). And everything held in place by some stiff wire at its core (insulated copper wire maybe).

Of course, if that backing is hair, I have no clue how it all works. Not sure if that helps, but that would probably be how I'd go with it.
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerofdarknes View Post
I had to sit there and figure this one out for a few minutes, but then I came to realize the problem with it. That grey/brown backing on her was driving me nuts until I figured out it's not her hair. That's some sort of backing/wing to it, but I don't think it's hair. If we assume it's not hair, then this becomes pretty easy.

If you had a long wig that falls to nearly the small of your back, you'd set the back part of it into a split ponytail starting just at the knot of your head (the bone spur at the top of your neck). The two tails run down your back, and are curled up into the flares with those tips ending...probably just a bit below your shoulder blades, maybe around the small of your back. I'd test the placement with some wire to see what looks best. The sides of it are curled up into the devil's horns (if you want it to be wig and not a customized hairband). And everything held in place by some stiff wire at its core (insulated copper wire maybe).

Of course, if that backing is hair, I have no clue how it all works. Not sure if that helps, but that would probably be how I'd go with it.
That's okay . Yes, those are two sets of wings, the first two being the large black 'ruffly' textured looking wings with heart cutouts, and the secondary ones are the white pixie style wings with the gold trim. When I first saw it I could have sworn she had short hair and figured I could use my short black wig and add to it. But I looked closer and I decided to compare the two characters. I guess overall she just has a ponytail that's styled differently.
That definitely clears everything up, thank you ! I actually have some gold wire I can use, and I'll probably shape the wire in the same way you mentioned and just wrap the wefts around it and sealing it with hairspray.
That's actually how I was thinking of making it, but I wanted to ask to be sure since I've never done a wig like this before. She also has some layers in the front, with some kind of...what do you call it...gold hair accessory? As well (idk what to call it, since it's not like a barrette like the one on the bangs.) And there's no back view either to help figure it out but I can find the episode and screencap more images.
Thanks a lot, this helped considerably !

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:

Follow me:

Quote:
BIRD POWER!
Unread 09-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
walkerofdarknes

The gold things on those pictures? Truthfully, they read "jingle bells" to me. Probably attached to the bangs on the side. OR if not bangs, then it's an overly long hairband, which would also let you mount the purple heart.
Unread 09-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

I don't think its a ponytail. And given that yugioh hair NEVER follows the laws of physics, or law of nature....its most likely either very low pigtails with a shaggy top, or a full on shaggy bob hair style with two "tails" coming from underneath with no rhyme or reason.
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
The gold things on those pictures? Truthfully, they read "jingle bells" to me. Probably attached to the bangs on the side. OR if not bangs, then it's an overly long hairband, which would also let you mount the purple heart.
Not a bad eye, as she's a performance themed monster in the show. To me though, the 'headphone' (as I see them as such) with the heart design are separate, with the 'jingle bells' being part of the layered hair in the front (not the bangs.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlGlT View Post
I don't think its a ponytail. And given that yugioh hair NEVER follows the laws of physics, or law of nature....its most likely either very low pigtails with a shaggy top, or a full on shaggy bob hair style with two "tails" coming from underneath with no rhyme or reason.
Same, I don't think it's a 'true' ponytail being a Yugioh character. I just sort of generalized it so I could figure out to how to make the hair. I've seen worse hair in Cardfight and I'm familiar with Yugioh hair xD. And speaking of bobs that what I thought it was at first. I might go the ponytail route just to simulate the hairstyle, kinda like how I faked a ponytail with one of my other wigs that didn't have the fibers going upwards.

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:

Follow me:

Quote:
BIRD POWER!
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
walkerofdarknes

Well, my reference for calling it a split ponytail was https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20150204030035 They look about the same, it's just a matter of the placement of where the top split is on your Devil.
Unread 09-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Well, my reference for calling it a split ponytail was https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20150204030035 They look about the same, it's just a matter of the placement of where the top split is on your Devil.
Ahh, I see. To me, I read Devil's hair placed lower since it's not a high ponytail -- you don't see the top of the hair of the supposed hairstyle. But I can use this as reference as well, thank you!

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:

Follow me:

Quote:
BIRD POWER!