Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Unread 04-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
AuthoroftheYear

What to expect?

Now that I have chosen a location and my photographer, I would like to know what to expect. A few things that the photographer might do or say? I've only been in a photoshoot once and it was for family pictures. Also if there are any general etiquette tip you could suggest, I would be eternally grateful.
Lady Loki - 100%
Harleen Quinzel - 100%
AuthoroftheYear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

This greatly depends on your photographer, and their experience level and shooting style.

Upon arrival, the photographer will need between 5 minutes and 60 minutes to set up their equipment and do some test shots. For simple cosplay shoots this is usually pretty quick. For high-production commercial shoots this can be a ton more complex and time-consuming (maybe half a day to set up). Take this time to do final adjustments to your costume and makeup. If you're there with a friend, go over each others' costumes in detail to make sure everything is in place (side note, take a repair kit with safety pins, bobby pins, double-sided tape, etc). Don't expect the photographer to "just photoshop it" or "fix it in post." Take two minutes or ten minutes and get it perfect there on the set, this will be WAY BETTER than trying to 'shop it later.

The photographer will likely ask you to stand in for some test shots. You don't have to "pose" for these, you can just stand there and relax or you can practice and warm up if you like. I'll usually make silly out-of-character faces and poses to lighten up a bit and break the ice.

After that, you have as much time as you need (and have previously agreed upon) to run through as many poses and shots as you like. If you brought a pose reference sheet, go over it with the photographer at the beginning of the session, and make a plan for the poses.

The photographer will likely get a good mix of of full-body, half-length, and face/bust shots. They'll likely tell you how close-up they're shooting, so you know how much of your body to pose. The photographer may be skilled at giving pose direction ... or they may not, in which case it's on you to do your own posing. DON'T FORGET FACIAL EXPRESSIONS - hopefully you've been practicing these as well. Almost as a rule, exaggerated poses and exaggerated facial expressions make fore more interesting photos.

Ask the photographer if they will tell you when to change poses. Some photographers like to take several shots of the same exact pose .. I usually don't; it's usually not necessary. instead, every time you hear the shutter click (or see the flash go off), change your pose a little or a lot. It doesn't have to be a drastic change - for instance, just look in a different direction with your eyes, or keep the same body pose but change facial expressions. Or change the position of your prop, or your hands. Or change your body pose entirely. Being able to change poses yourself, instead of waiting for direction for each shot, will help the "flow" of the shoot. Here's a video of a skilled professional model - see, every time the flash fires, he gives a new pose - note, it takes years of experience to get this good, so don't expect to be this fast..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDbfWT-hSG8

If you're doing poses with another person, you'll almost always want to pose much closer together than your normal comfort zone. get in each others' personal space; it makes for way better photos. If you keep to your normal personal-space boundaries, you look miles apart in the photo.

If you have a pose/shot list, do all the less strenuous ones first, so your makeup doesn't wear off, you don't get sweaty, and your costume/props stay in good shape. Once you have everything on your shot list done, you might try some more elaborate or strenuous poses, action shots, etc.

If you change locations and setups, the photographer may need to do another round of fine-tuning camera settings and test shots. At this time, go over your costume and props and hair again, make sure everything is perfect.

When you're done, discuss with the photographer what you should expect next - of course, you should have already done most of this before hiring the photographer. Will you get proofs (and when), how many finished shots, what level of retouching or editing to expect, when can you expect to receive them, by what method (usually email or dropbox), what rights you have for further usage (online sharing, printing, entering into contests, etc).

Some additional reading:
https://photography.tutsplus.com/tut...s--photo-15608

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon

Last edited by nathancarter : 04-28-2017 at 10:57 AM.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
DanArt

Just delete this

Last edited by DanArt : 04-28-2017 at 09:43 AM.
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
DanArt

Be honest ( like ridiculously honest)
Dress the way they expect you to dress.
Follow directions.

Example: Somebody ask you a stupid question. However the question makes it easier for you you to work with the subject. So is the question stupid?

A lot could happen in 30 minutes. However nothing could happen in 30 minutes. I really want to get a specific shot in 30 minutes but I want to get a lot of different shots during one day.

Also every photographer can get the same results using different directions. Be aware that parlor tricks do not get what you want but only satisfying results that are temporary. It might look great but it is not true. That is just something to be aware of. Years from now you can see your image and think "where did my life go" when in reality the photographer made results that was only temporarily satisfying.

This is why the "model" is picked for specific tasks because they want a certain reaction from the viewer. I could go more science on this idea but I would rather not.

Last edited by DanArt : 04-28-2017 at 10:02 AM.
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote