Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #77656
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

My new Rin wig came today! Yay, thank you Arda! A big plus on the fast shipping since I live near the warehouse. It was supposed to come yesterday though but no big as I got it today. I had to damage control this as the wig I originally wanted to use was not as advertised. I do feel bad I had to pay for a new wig, especially since the Magnum is $40 but $15 for the first wig went down the drain since it was the wrong colour. I also got Arda's hair extensions for Ruri in Lilac and they look great too.

DTAC/Holiday Fan Days 2017:
Ruri Kurosaki, Yugioh Arc-V

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #77657
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post
I hope you're able to find one!
Thanks!

I can find a lot of photographers who are interested, but no one who is available. Since posting this, I've contacted another photographer...who probably isn't attending Fanime. I have one more on my list that I can contact, and then it's time to...I have no idea. Start finding more photographers to ask? (I haven't combed through IG yet for possible people, so that's a source, and I can keep asking around if anyone knows anyone.)

If I can't find someone, I'll just not wear Ultimecia. Which is fine, but I'd rather wear her and get a shoot. I swear this costume is cursed -- my first version was a failure and I almost totally remade it, I almost shot it with Richard Bui the last time I wore it (but thankfully he backed out at the last minute, leaving me with no shoot, but I guess that's better than a shoot with Richard Bui), I couldn't find a photographer last year so I didn't wear it, I might not find a photographer this year...

Still need to find someone for Lisa Lisa, too, but I think that'll be a bit easier because I'm looking for a more common style with that one (bright and colorful is fine with Jojo cosplay, but less fine with evil time sorceresses hellbent on destroying the world). Also need to start on Lisa Lisa, but I've been so busy I haven't had a chance! Tomorrow, in between doing my cosplaytutorial.com stuff, I'll start on that, I think.
Unread 04-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #77658
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Hope you're able to find one, fabrickind!

Speaking of con shoots, I think I'm ok as far as they go. Got a couple friends that do shoots who are interested in shooting my Kiki on Day 0 of Fanime, and also possibly got a shoot for Tifa, hopefully for Friday. But haven't gotten one for Grell yet. I'd love one done of Grell. I had a shoot done for that cosplay back at Fanime 2012, but it was with a friend who I'm no longer friends with, so most likely I won't be posting those photos up. I'm hoping I can get an individual one done this time, cause the Fairmont hotel near Fanime is perfect for Black Butler shoots. <3

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 08:15 AM   #77659
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

I'm actually contemplating making Rin's duel disk, as a side project. I don't really mind it not being ready for Anime North since it's just an idea, plus I've already spent more than enough for both Rin and Ruri. I wouldn't mind tackling it since I like the idea of a glowing prop, and would be the first time making a prop. Crafting it would be simple since it's basic in design, but it looks really cool with the glowing monster zone for the Pendulum summoning and the nice variation in colors since everyone's is different.

Edit:
Oh wow! I forgot to mention Ruri's earrings were featured on the front page . Sweet!

Follow me:

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 04-21-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Unread 04-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #77660
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Off to CostumeCon in an hour! God DAMN my suitcase is full. It's the biggest one I own (which is enormous) and I do not have an INCH left in it. And it's only holding my costumes/costume things like makeup and a pair of pyjamas (I blame Tali's helmet/Heather's armour, and the needing three seperate space-hogging pairs of footwear... also the crazy poofiness of my Anastasia petticoat). Foodstuffs, other clothes and half my toiletries had to be crammed into a backpack. And I have to carry my Heather axe because the darn thing didn't fit at all length-wise into my case.
Well, I'm used to dirty looks from bus drivers....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #77661
hangyaku

I was able to get my hands on a dremel from a coworker yesterday, which is amazing, but I've never used one before and I did a test piece last night which turned out okayyy. It's a bit bumpy and, thankfully, no huge gouges or mistakes, but it could definitely be smoother/nicer and I am for sure in need of more practice.

I'm kinda scared to go on to the actual knife that I'm making but I've also got a time limit on when I need to get the dremel back to its owner. I plan to coat the entire prop in worbla after shaping, so I'm hoping that might help hide some imperfections as well. Prop making is fun but definitely also stressful :/

~Anime North 2017~
Keith - Voltron: Legendary Defender
Katsuhira Agata - Kiznaiver
hangyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #77662
Mochiko
Fairy Tale Lover

I just found out that Anime Midwest is selling tickets for the tea party, and I can't buy them now. Oh well. They'll probably be sold out by the time I can afford them.
Mochiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #77663
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Rin's jacket came in the mail today but I have to tailor it! It's not huge but its really bulky around the shoulders and I want to take it in so that it's more form fitting. I didn't want it too small either but honestly if I left it the way it is you can tell right away I would need a size smaller. I bought medium just to be sure and the Amazon description said to buy in regular US size but since the jacket is from China I went bigger...oh man. Tailor please don't let me down.

Follow me:

Unread 04-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #77664
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Anastasia was a big hit for both stage and what little hall time I had at CostumeCon (I basically put it on with just an hour before the masquerade and went to a panel...). SPARKLE SPARKLE about summed it up. And now I excitedly wait to see if I got that coveted CostumeCon ribbon.....
Quote:
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
Unread 04-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #77665
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

It only took me 160 episodes, but I finally understand why people enjoy Bleach so much and cosplay as Hollow Ichigo. LOL.
Also, I am debating about joining a Haikyuu cosplay group, but I'm not THAT into the show yet.

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #77666
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

brb, forever cursing my intense waist/hip ratio. Makes tailoring pants very difficult, especially when they're supposed to be somewhat loose through the hips.

Having a bit of a hard time getting the fit through the legs I want, too, but I'm sure I can figure it out with a bit more work. I want them to be really loose up top and tapered af at the bottom, but without gathers or pleats or anything, and I think that's what is tripping me up. May have to go slightly less tapered than I want, but I'm sure I can still figure it out. Needs to be loose, though, since this is a 1930s zoot suit (because we all know that JJBA is oh so historically accurate)

Also, still having a hard time finding an Ultimecia photographer. Grumblegrumblegrumble
Unread 04-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #77667
SuperBee
Extreme chainmailler

I'm going to keep up with the chainmaille thing. I like it, I like working with it and it's beautiful once done correctly. With conversations at Costume con, people said it's not something people can or like to do.

"Captain Canada"
Pokemon trainer inspired something

Samurai Zapdos and Moltres
Revamped Scalemaille Gyarados with armour
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #77668
xRenascent
That crazy chick

It's official. Flight tickets have been booked, the AirBnb place has been set in stone, and I just finally bought my full badge for the con. I'm finally going to AX!

I had to back out last year since I moved, but now I should be okay budget-wise and I'm really excited to go. I'm still bummed DCC is on the exact same weekend and that I won't be seeing some people until NDK in September...but I'm glad I'm taking this opportunity this year.

Potential 2017 Cons
Anime Expo/Colorado Springs Comic Con/Nan Desu Kan

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #77669
KatTayle
Human, not a machine

Dangit I still can't decide who to cosplay. Everything is too expensive or too outdated or too beyond my skill level or etc :c

Also in general, I'm kinda not sure about cosplaying that much anymore since all of my previous cosplays have been kinda disappointing. I always have a vision in mind when I start a cosplay, and at the end it looks nothing like the character. Especially last year, I've wanted to cosplay Noa for a really long time (and still do!! but I'd hate to redo it) and was so excited the entire year, but then I screwed up so many things from lack of skill level + etc that I don't even want to look at it anymore. It makes me feel like I'm wasting so much time and money on something that will fail :c But I don't want to buy costumes either because I'm worried the material will look to weird or the sizing will be wrong too...

Maybe it'd help if I had another character I was really devoted to cosplaying. But this year, I have all these characters that are each great choices in some ways, but not great in others, and there's no character that really "calls" to me. Especially since my favorite characters are usually the side characters that show up for like 3 minutes, so it's super hard to cosplay them or get recognized as them :I

But I still want to cosplay SOMETHING! I need to get better at it and I can only do that through practice. Plus I only want to go to my yearly con if I'm in costume. I just don't know how to pick a character to cosplay that's not super expensive, not super hard, one that I like, and one that people will be able to recognize well enough... Oh, and that I look enough like (since I can't use contacts and makeup is hell).

Being cosplayer is suffering /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Planned Cosplays:

Mina (Pokemon): 96%

Dio (Zero Escape): 93%

Want to make in future: BOTW Link, Franziska Von Karma, Hatsune Miku (Arifureta), Magma Admin Courtney, more Pokemon/AC gijinkas, any Splatoon character
KatTayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #77670
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

EEEEEEEEEEEEE I won not just one but TWO things in the CostumeCon SF&F masquerade! I got Most Regal and an Honourable Mention for beadwork.
Quote: