Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 01-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
LucaLouise

Different colored streaks in wig

Does anyone know how to get pink streaks in an orange wig? I'm planning to use wefts, but I'm not sure how I would place them.
LucaLouise is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaLouise View Post
Does anyone know how to get pink streaks in an orange wig? I'm planning to use wefts, but I'm not sure how I would place them.
Using colored wefts(like you said) that clip into your wig is your best option but there is no way to help you if we don't have a reference image for the character you are referring to!

-Various Overwatch stuff
-Purah, LoZ: Breath of the Wild
-Sakizo(This shouldn't be a surprise!)

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s) σf 2017:
-Card Captor Sakura

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
LucaLouise

Oops, sorry, completely forgot to include a reference. Here you go

http://img11.deviantart.net/5ef5/i/2...ve-da0ibvk.png
Unread 01-10-2017, 02:12 AM   #4
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

The pink is almost as much of the wig as the orange. You might be better off getting a white wig and hand coloring the wig to be the dual colors unless youre okay with a more subtle pink.
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Oops, sorry, completely forgot to include a reference. Here you go

http://img11.deviantart.net/5ef5/i/2...ve-da0ibvk.png
No worries, no need to apologize.
Well, going off how her hair looks, you could definitely pull off the clipped in wefts!
I definitely don't think there are clip-in wefts that are as long as her hair but hair in Winx is always kind of ridiculous so unless you are going for 100% accuracy...this shouldn't be a hard project so long as you have patience!

Unless you wish to hand-color your whole wig from white to orange and pink as was mentioned above by DIGIT, I say buy an orange wig as your base and then just clip in the wefts, work them into the pony tail and then finish it all with some wrapped hair around the base where the ponytail starts and you're done!

If you're okay with spending the money, Arda's Jeanne would be the perfect base wig for this and they also sell clip-in wefts!

But I see you live in the Netherlands so it may just be better for you to try and more local wig supplier because I don't even want to imagine the shipping. :<

-Various Overwatch stuff

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

-Card Captor Sakura

Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Last edited by Milky Bubbles : 01-10-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Unread 01-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

I would get pink wefts and sew them in rather than using clip-ins. I can image that it would be difficult to clip that many wefts in, but sewing them in would reduce weight and bulk.

You'd have to determine where you want the streaks to go, and then sew several wefts that are 1" or so wide into the location you want. You can remove some of the orange if you want the streaks to be "deeper" (adding in pink wefts between orange wefts would mix the colors together, so you'd need to remove some orange fiber to make space), but since it's a ponytail wig where the hair is mostly going to be flat against your head, you can easily just sew multiple layers of wefts into place. I'm advocating for multiple layers because a single layer won't be thick enough to really show up. They should fall naturally but mostly stay together in streaks in the ponytail portion.
Unread 01-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

^ For that many streaks, it's going to get really expensive to do a ton of clip-ins, so you're better off buying a huge pack of wefts/cutting them apart/sewing them in than buying 6 bazillion clips.

The hand-dye is also a solid idea-- you just take a sharpie marker and color the parts of the wig that you want to be different. That's a little tedious for a wig this long, so I'd personally advocate for sewing in the wefts, but you do have more control over the color blending with the sharpies.
  • IPRE Robes (The Adventure Zone): 95% (Final Touches) Otakon 2017
  • Director Lucretia (The Adventure Zone) : 15% (Prop Work) Summer 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #8
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post
I would get pink wefts and sew them in rather than using clip-ins. I can image that it would be difficult to clip that many wefts in, but sewing them in would reduce weight and bulk.

You'd have to determine where you want the streaks to go, and then sew several wefts that are 1" or so wide into the location you want. You can remove some of the orange if you want the streaks to be "deeper" (adding in pink wefts between orange wefts would mix the colors together, so you'd need to remove some orange fiber to make space), but since it's a ponytail wig where the hair is mostly going to be flat against your head, you can easily just sew multiple layers of wefts into place. I'm advocating for multiple layers because a single layer won't be thick enough to really show up. They should fall naturally but mostly stay together in streaks in the ponytail portion.
Quote:
For that many streaks, it's going to get really expensive to do a ton of clip-ins, so you're better off buying a huge pack of wefts/cutting them apart/sewing them in than buying 6 bazillion clips.

The hand-dye is also a solid idea-- you just take a sharpie marker and color the parts of the wig that you want to be different. That's a little tedious for a wig this long, so I'd personally advocate for sewing in the wefts, but you do have more control over the color blending with the sharpies.
Argh, I didn't even think of sewing in the wefts!
Duh, that makes so much more sense than clip-in's!

You'll definitely have to do some wig splicing to sew in the pink wefts so I definitely recommend practicing on an old wig before you sit and do surgery on the wig you wanna use for real.

-Various Overwatch stuff

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

-Card Captor Sakura

Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018

Unread 01-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
newmyu
Waiiiiiiiii!!!

I would actually go the opposite, personally. I would start with a pink base wig, and use dark yellow sharpie to turn the pink orange in areas. You're not adding bulk or weight this way, which will make the wig more comfortable to wear and easier to style, but still allow you to get that color chunk look throughout it.
newmyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #10
LucaLouise

Hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions!

I bought an orange wig from Coscraft, a pack of orange and pink wefts and a clip in ponytail. I'm in the process of gluing pink wefts in streaks and it works amazing!

Now, here's the second problem. Bloom's hairstyle has a bun AND a ponytail. How would I do that? I already took out the clip in the ponytail itself and I thought of spreading the hair over a foamcore. Problem is, the bun also needs to be made...
Unread 01-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #11
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Most likely you will need to stub your wig to attach the ponytail wefts. When you do that, take some of your extra wefts, attach one end to the base of the stub, then twist the wefts while wrapping around the base of your ponytail. It is technically not a bun, but hair from her ponytail wrapped around where the ponytail starts.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #12
LucaLouise

The problem here is, my base wig isn't long enough to be pulled up in a ponytail, let alone being stubbed... I can use the clip-on with a foamcore inside, but I'm not sure how to attach it to the base wig.
Unread 01-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #13
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
The problem here is, my base wig isn't long enough to be pulled up in a ponytail, let alone being stubbed... I can use the clip-on with a foamcore inside, but I'm not sure how to attach it to the base wig.
Can you link us to the wig that you purchased?
That will definitely help us help you!

With the stubbing of the wig, that would only be done if your wig came pre-styled as a ponytail, if it's just an orange wig, no stubbing would be done!
But seeing the wig will help out a lot.

-Various Overwatch stuff

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

-Card Captor Sakura

Raleigh Super Con 2017?
Katsucon 2018
Momocon 2018