Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #24481
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
Never undertood that mentally/view point of her either. I mean, she isn't writing bestsellers and if she suddenly switched to writing about anything else than cosplay, she wouldn't be able to continue having books as her main income. Its like a photographer, who made their main income by selling books filled with his photos or photography tutorials saying they are an author, not a professional photographer.

And even from a german-speaking perspective, it does not make any sense. Sure, cosplay on itself refers only to the "core" elements of this hobby, but nobody in the german cosplay community would say that she isn't a professional cosplayer. She definitly turned her hobby into a job, even if her main income does not come from attending conventions in cosplay (and saying that...well she does get paid for that aswell, so why does it matter, that her books bring in more money?). All in all its an unnecessary nit-picky way to answer to that comment. The only benefit of a doubt I could give her would be, that she may think she's saveing some clueless soul from thinking attenting conventions is enough to pay bills.
I think you're right, there. No "pro cosplayer" just makes money by attending cons in fancy costumes (and even guest cosplayers paid to attend don't just go do that, they are WORKING THEIR BUTTS OFF the whole weekend. Nonstop panels, autographs, contest judging and then manning their sales table, they're lucky to even sleep). To make money you have to actually WORK at something marketable. Instruction books, selling accessories or patterns, and etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2018, 01:00 AM   #24482
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

One thing that I keep seeing, and annoys the ever loving hell out of me-

People who post to facebook groups looking to buy a cosplay (or more) yet they don't post their measurements. Now then, if they're just looking for shop or commissioner suggestions that really wouldn't be an issue. But normally they're looking for someone who is selling a pre-owned cosplay. Formats usually go like this

ISO/WTB (Insert character name here ) Cosplay

I'm looking to buy a __ cosplay for an upcoming convention!
I wear a size 14!

Or something similar to that. Also: I wear a size L, I wear a size Asian XL, or my personal favorite "I wear a size large, but sometimes a medium." Bonus points if for some reason they think putting their age helps.

Like.. you NEED to post your measurements. Saying your a size 8 or XL or whatever doesn't mean anything since sizing isn't universal.
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #24483
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEC_HYMME_MACARON View Post
One thing that I keep seeing, and annoys the ever loving hell out of me-

People who post to facebook groups looking to buy a cosplay (or more) yet they don't post their measurements. Now then, if they're just looking for shop or commissioner suggestions that really wouldn't be an issue. But normally they're looking for someone who is selling a pre-owned cosplay. Formats usually go like this

ISO/WTB (Insert character name here ) Cosplay

I'm looking to buy a __ cosplay for an upcoming convention!
I wear a size 14!

Or something similar to that. Also: I wear a size L, I wear a size Asian XL, or my personal favorite "I wear a size large, but sometimes a medium." Bonus points if for some reason they think putting their age helps.

Like.. you NEED to post your measurements. Saying your a size 8 or XL or whatever doesn't mean anything since sizing isn't universal.
The reason is because it's easier to catch scammers that way. If I make you give me the measurements your costume will fit, I can either pass if it won't work or make an offer if it will. If I give out mine first, I get flooded with tons of "oh this will fit you perfectly" only to have the actual thing be way to small/big when it arrives to the point where it's obvious it's not even remotely close to the measurements I gave. Nobody accepts returns, filing a paypal dispute is a hassle, and this all can be avoided if you just make the people give you the measurements for their outfit. If I need a custom made commission then I'll obviously provide them, but if I'm hunting for used I just go with a general size range and have the interested parties send me their measurements to weed out the scammers (you'd be surprised how many people suddenly drop of the face of the earth when asked for specific measurements to make sure it will actually fit me).

Current Cosplays: Sheena Fujibayashi (young/successor version)

Upcoming Cosplays: Suzu Fujibayashi, Team Magma Grunt, White Mage

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon

Conventions Attended:

Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Anime Midwest 2018
(Nov) Daisho Con 2018
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #24484
Shana05
Survivor

I ordered a real invisible zipper foot because I'm sick of rebuying the Coats & Clark plastic one. I constantly lose pieces from it or it breaks. So I find the type for my sewing machine and order it. Then I'm informed it's on back order meaning it's going to take longer to arrive.

A-Kon: fem!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon) - Audrey II (Little Shop of Horrors)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2018, 05:08 AM   #24485
Aundreiya
Ruby Eyes

Biggest pet peeve in cosplay?? When you aren't the best, but you feel good and confident in your cosplay. You go to a con to have a good time with friends, get involved in photo shoots, the many events and OMG artists alley and vendors! But then...there are THOSE people. The ones that use cosplay as an excuse to 'hook up' or walk around like a live version of the perverted teacher from Azumangadaio.
I'm not a professional cosplayer, but I do take this hobby seriously. I want to have fun and feel comfortable in my cosplays. If you feel the need to make this your hobby just to score chicks or dudes for that matter, there are other websites for that. However if you are an otaku seeking a relationship with another otaku I believe there is also a site for that now, so I've heard. But for the love of Purpleheart, STOP going up to cosplayers just to say you are looking for a girlfriend / boyfriend. For all you know they are married, dating, or you are assuming they are interested in your particular gender. Also, when you do get rejected, don't go making a scene about how the person you just creeped on is the big bad meanie that thinks they are too good for you.
Sunday/Day 0/masquerade: Random Ravenclaw OC
Aundreiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #24486
Respawning

Current pet peeve, trying to determine if the tension is too high or too low on my sewing machine, or if it's just that I am trying to sew through too many layers of fabric. I finally got it so the top stitch looks ok but the bottom stitch on the underside is all bunched and jumbled. Screw it, as long as the right side of the fabric looks good.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC, Ciri
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel, DC Bombshells Batwoman, Art Nouveau mermaid, Felmmigan (Morrigan/Flemeth) Dragon Age
Working on: ??

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #24487
Scunosi

My current issue that's been stuck in my craw is when I was at Sakuracon me and my friend were both cosplaying Overwatch characters. We were in the vendor hall when a guy who'd been with us at the OW shoot (also in OW cosplay) called over to my friend asking to get a pic with her. He was kinda just standing there for a sec until I asked if he was wanting me to take the pic for them or if he was signaling for me to join them, since, you know, we're all cosplaying the same IP (which I stated). He was just wanting me to take the pic of the two of them only.

I took it and while I'm happy my friend got so many asks for pics it kind of irked me that someone would knowingly shut someone out like that from the same IP. He was at the shoot and likely saw us there, we certainly saw him, and I told him I was also OW in case he didn't recognize the variant I was doing.

I don't think it's even the fact I missed out on one more picture, it's more like...why wasn't I good enough to be in your picture? Was my wig sliding and I looked bad? Was I too fat to be seen with you? Were you just cruising for pics with brown girls? I understand everyone has the right to control who's in their pictures, but usually they at least have the social graces to include everyone in one pic, then do something smaller afterwards.

Maybe I'm just having a hard time dealing with rejection but generally people at cons have always been so nice and inviting, especially when it comes to cosplays from the same fandom, so I'm just kinda gobsmacked someone could be this rude.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Princess Peach-New Donk City (Super Mario Odyssey)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #24488
Syon
leads the crusade

@Scunosi I can absolutly understand you. It is insensitive to exclude another cosplayer from the same IP this obvious. And people who are socially aware will at least try to prevent that the "less desired" cosplayer has not to feel like that.
And I know everyone wants to stand above such little, silly things, but I know from first-hand experiance how difficult that can be. Especially, if you know how different it can be. I think its not too much to ask to at least try to give other people not a bad feeling. It sort of reminds me about my BlizzCon experiance. My costume was really noobish, so I can see why all the photographers and normal con-goers ignored me, but it was kind of annoying talking to some cosplayer, getting interrupted from a photographer/videographer and then being reduced to holding the cosplayers stuff, while the photographer/videographer was busy taking a shot or picture. Even if years have passed, I'm sure I would be heck more nervous dressing up for that convention, if I got the chance to go again now.
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #24489
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Syon - Oddly, I've had trouble getting pairs/groups to all stay together for pics if they are cosplaying different series/games/etc. I like getting that "fun at a con" theme in my pics and if I single out people, it often removes that element.
Hiccup (HTTYD: The Hidden World) - Otakon 2018
Powerline/Max (The Goofy Movie) - Otakon 2018
U.A. Student (My Hero Academia) - Otakon 2018 (Backup cosplay)

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplayers Group (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #24490
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

As a "photographer" and I use this term so loosely, I go out of my way to include the whole group of people if there is one. Even if they are a mismatched group. But that is the way I take pictures at cons.

But, while it can be upsetting to feel excluded from a photo. Many people only want to take pictures of or with their favorite characters. Try not to let it get to you too much. Just because there are no pictures requested does not mean it isn't a great cosplay. Asking for everyone's picture is "polite" but not asking for everyone's is not rude.

COSPLAYS
Cardcaptor Sakura Clear card Heart dress
Random Neko....
Grey Chocobo Kigurumi
solstis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #24491
xIkuna

Seeing the same ppl at a smaller con and them making the same joke everytime you walk past them... SIGH.

Context: Cosplaying Ana Amari with my friend as Mercy, and there's jokes in overwatch that people spam the healers with "I need healing", so as such, we heard that joke the entire day but what's worse is seeing the SAME guy 4 or 5 times and him making the SAME "I need healing" "joke" literally. Every. Time. I just don't know how to react to that? Shouldn't have to ignore people who wont leave us alone ugh. Makes me not want to cosplay Overwatch ever again lol

PSA: "I need healing!" Jokes aren't funny Please stop making them to cosplayers

Cosplays:
Yennefer- The Witcher 3
Magik (Phoenix Force)- Marvel

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote