Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #16
Mikomi Hatake

Ah, this is just what I was looking for for my cosplay! Thanks!

Unread 01-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #17
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikomi Hatake View Post
Ah, this is just what I was looking for for my cosplay! Thanks!
No problem!!! C: Glad it helped!

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Saitou_Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #18
Ashla
Beyblade rules!

Wow, that's a really helpful tutorial Thank you!

I was just wondering, is the mask heavy when finished? I can't imagine it would be too heavy though ^^
Ashla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #19
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashla View Post
Wow, that's a really helpful tutorial Thank you!

I was just wondering, is the mask heavy when finished? I can't imagine it would be too heavy though ^^
Good question C:

Acutally, the mask is fairly lightweight and shouldn't be a hassle to wear around for a few hours at a convention or anywhere else for that matter.

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Unread 01-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #20
PenguinPerson

Yo, guys! I decided to give this tutorial a whirl since I'll be cosplaying an Anbu myself.

I have to admit, I love it. It took a little muscle to get the clay flat enough to put over the mask, but it looks fantastic and really smooth if you're careful. I didn't take any in-progress shots because I was so tired and intent on getting it finished. Also, it was at around 3am. xD

You can see one of the pictures here.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=966926

Also, I used a really soft charcoal pencil to lightly draw on the markings, and then paint them in using red paint. And a black sharpie for the black around the eyes/nostirls/mouth. But BEFORE the sharpie, I added a few layers of polyurethane(sp?) that comes in the spray paint can to make it a little more durable and help the paint stay. But beware, DO NOT spray it if you color your mask with sharpies, because it will make it bleed HORRIBLY and will ruin your artwork. D:

I am in looooove~ Thanks so much for coming up with this idea! xD

Edit: Bah, I always forget the details.

As I was gonna say, the mask is fairly lightweight, and I used a 3/4 inch wide or so strap of elastic which holds quite well so the mask can be placed either over your face, or, like Kakashi does, to the side of your head.

And just to add a little mystery to it, I sharpied black some stocking and cut it out and stretched it before carefully placing it over the back of the eyeholes inside the mask using a few small dabs of hotglue. It hides you eyes for that creepy effect, but you can still see the world around you. ^_^

Last edited by PenguinPerson : 01-26-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Unread 01-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #21
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPerson View Post
Yo, guys! I decided to give this tutorial a whirl since I'd be going as an Anbu myself.

I have to admit, I love it. It took a little muscle to get the clay flat enough to put over the mask, but it looks fantastic and really smooth if you're careful. I didn't take any in-progress shots because I was so tired and intent on getting it finished. Also, it was at around 3am. xD

You can see one of the pictures here.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=966926

Also, I used a really soft charcoal pencil to lightly draw on the markings, and then paint them in using red paint. And a black sharpie for the black around the eyes/nostirls/mouth.

I am in looooove~ Thanks so much for coming up with this idea! xD
^___^ OMG that is an adorable ANBU mask!! I think you did an amazing job!

I'm super happy that your mask turned out beautifully!! Lol I might need to take some craft tips from you.

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Unread 01-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #22
dor1987

As i told you on PM, Very Good tutorial you helped me alot!
as soon as i will find model magic in israel i will start make my mask
Hehe
dor1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #23
Miracle
Loveliness

Well, I tried it, and let me tell you, this was not as easy as I thought it would be (don't worry, this tutorial is perfectly fine, and I'm sure this would work great for actual anbu masks or masks with larger eyes, but my eyes...well...).

I bought all the materials that I didn't have, and after a bit of planning, started altering the mask. To make the eyes I wanted I had to -cut- the plastic of the mask and tape it so it was thinner. The eyes I wanted were thin slits that were thinner than the eyes, but on a vertical length outside the actual eyes. I had to use masking tape to form the foundation where it was lacking, some repeated layers where needed. I tried using paper, but paper stuck to the clay as did cardboard so with a bit of creative thinking I decided to use tape.

So, I mixed the two clay, balled it, smooshed it, rolled it, and stretched it, but all along the sides where finger marks. I tried over and over to fix it but it was very hard for me @_@. So, with a little help from my mother, I began smoothing the edges by hand and again, it started to look like it would be wonderful, very smooth (except for weird swirly lines (up, not into the clay)), looking good, but then as I went to poke the eyes in I realised that my fingers would not work so well. I eventually came to the conclusion that by pushing a sharp knife carefully through the inside of the mask, using my thumb to keep the clay from just stretching, I could get the eyes in. Sadly, sometime in the process the chin of my mask must of came against something and became entirely flat (it needed to be round) and so I had to start again but when I did there were large chunks of what I'm guessing was dried clay inside.

Anywho, I found the results I wanted were very difficult to achieve. I think this is a wonderful cheap alternative to some other methods, but I'm afraid *dramatic sigh* it and I were never intended to be. I still think a perfectly beautiful keaton mask could be constructed from the material, but due to lack of time and my inability to travel to micheals more than once a month (I actually was -not- able to get to any store in town for over five months, just to give you an idea @_@ it sucks living in a small town), I'll have to choose something I'm a little more practiced and assured with. A bit more expensive, I'll admit, but it will do what I need it to do in the time I need it to.

Thanks again anyway, this is a great tutorial and I plan on using it for another project of mine that is much better suited to the medium and the texture especially (ooo, that is actually something I'm most looking forward to oddly *laughs*). When I -do- complete that project I will be sure to post the results of it in this thread. n_n Good luck and good cosplay to everyone.
Miracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #24
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
Well, I tried it, and let me tell you, this was not as easy as I thought it would be (don't worry, this tutorial is perfectly fine, and I'm sure this would work great for actual anbu masks or masks with larger eyes, but my eyes...well...).

I bought all the materials that I didn't have, and after a bit of planning, started altering the mask. To make the eyes I wanted I had to -cut- the plastic of the mask and tape it so it was thinner. The eyes I wanted were thin slits that were thinner than the eyes, but on a vertical length outside the actual eyes. I had to use masking tape to form the foundation where it was lacking, some repeated layers where needed. I tried using paper, but paper stuck to the clay as did cardboard so with a bit of creative thinking I decided to use tape.

So, I mixed the two clay, balled it, smooshed it, rolled it, and stretched it, but all along the sides where finger marks. I tried over and over to fix it but it was very hard for me @_@. So, with a little help from my mother, I began smoothing the edges by hand and again, it started to look like it would be wonderful, very smooth (except for weird swirly lines (up, not into the clay)), looking good, but then as I went to poke the eyes in I realised that my fingers would not work so well. I eventually came to the conclusion that by pushing a sharp knife carefully through the inside of the mask, using my thumb to keep the clay from just stretching, I could get the eyes in. Sadly, sometime in the process the chin of my mask must of came against something and became entirely flat (it needed to be round) and so I had to start again but when I did there were large chunks of what I'm guessing was dried clay inside.

Anywho, I found the results I wanted were very difficult to achieve. I think this is a wonderful cheap alternative to some other methods, but I'm afraid *dramatic sigh* it and I were never intended to be. I still think a perfectly beautiful keaton mask could be constructed from the material, but due to lack of time and my inability to travel to micheals more than once a month (I actually was -not- able to get to any store in town for over five months, just to give you an idea @_@ it sucks living in a small town), I'll have to choose something I'm a little more practiced and assured with. A bit more expensive, I'll admit, but it will do what I need it to do in the time I need it to.

Thanks again anyway, this is a great tutorial and I plan on using it for another project of mine that is much better suited to the medium and the texture especially (ooo, that is actually something I'm most looking forward to oddly *laughs*). When I -do- complete that project I will be sure to post the results of it in this thread. n_n Good luck and good cosplay to everyone.
I'm sorry that your mask didn't turn out the way you wanted it too. T__T

I'm upset at myself because I thought I told you that if you put small sections of the molding clay in the microwave for 15 seconds that the clay would go back to its original elasiticity. T__T I'm sorry.

If you need any help with other stuff please don't hesitate to ask me. C:

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Unread 02-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #25
Miracle
Loveliness

Aw, don't be upset with yourself. You made a good tutorial, I've just decided that for this particular mask another material would suit it better. Besides, with that little tip you just gave me I can re-use the modeling clay that I was using (as I kept in in a plastic bag). Besides, I think you may have already said something about that, I just might have missed it or was confused. Anyway, I still think this is a nifty tutorial and good for a number of mask projects, just not this one in particular XD.
Miracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2007, 08:34 PM   #26
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
Aw, don't be upset with yourself. You made a good tutorial, I've just decided that for this particular mask another material would suit it better. Besides, with that little tip you just gave me I can re-use the modeling clay that I was using (as I kept in in a plastic bag). Besides, I think you may have already said something about that, I just might have missed it or was confused. Anyway, I still think this is a nifty tutorial and good for a number of mask projects, just not this one in particular XD.
Ahh I see. :3 Well, I wish you luck with your mask.

If you don't mind, I would love it if you sent me a pic of it when you finish. C:

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Unread 02-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #27
Ororo Howlett
When in doubt, FRAG OUT!

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I think I'll make my Kunimitsu mask with the extra Model Magic I have.

And also thank you to PenguinPerson for the tip about the stockings in the eyeholes!

*bows profusely*
00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000
01100001 00100000 01101100 01101001
01100101 00101110
Ororo Howlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 01:05 AM   #28
toonoobfojoo
nubpwnzorz

excellent tutorial, kudos to you. i might have overlooked it when reading through replies but do you have a pic of your finished product? i'll have to look into making my own now, to the craft shop!
toonoobfojoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 05:50 AM   #29
master kaze

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! loved it, but i was thinking if using this technic i could make another animal mask, cause i don't like kakashi's mask, nd i want to make one that i've seen i think it's a monkey. XDDDD
master kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #30
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonoobfojoo View Post
excellent tutorial, kudos to you. i might have overlooked it when reading through replies but do you have a pic of your finished product? i'll have to look into making my own now, to the craft shop!
I haven't finished it yet...heh. But then again, I'm not painting it because I decided to let my Uncle, who is a graphic artist, airbrush a design on it to give it a unique look. C:

However, I don't reccommend having the mask airbrushed unless you or you have someone in your family to do it. Airbrushing is sort of expensive, like I think it would take about $20-$30 to have a mask like this airbrushed.

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku