Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #286
UchihaSasuK8
Fade with the thunder

This tutorial is awesome. I have finally got round to making an ANBU mask after years of half arsed attempts!

Photos here: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/186502/

I used this tutorial for the most part. Using air drying clay and cheap plastic shop bought mask. I wanted to make a Sasuke ANBU mask so I wanted to make it a Hawk rather than a wolf/cat style mask.
I also cut the eye hole to be round, as I think this more accurate for ANBU, rather than the more almond shape of the cheap mask I used as the base. I did this with a drinking straw to cut away the extra once the clay was on teh plastic mask.
I made 4 flat pieces separatly - and let them dry. Then I glued them to the face shaped section. I then used more air drying clay to fill the gaps around the eye holes and the chin. I then formed the curved section of the beak.

I then painted it with acylics; I went for a flame design on the right but a lightening design on the left - but kept them symmetrical.

To prevent the paint running or the mask softening I suggest praying it with a clear varnish. I also foudn that it had a tendancy to crack around the edges, esp near wear the elatic was glue gunned on if you are taking it on and off a lot, so you make want to reinforce this area with an extra layer of whatever air drying clay.
On this note, also CUT AIR HOLE NEAR YOUR NOSE/MOUTH!! I didnt think this through and the first time I wore it I got very light headed and my steamy-breath softened the clay.
UchihaSasuK8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #287
Doku_Satou
Shiny Spoork Of DOOM!!

yay thanks to this i was able to make a Anbu mask of my own design tho the air drying clay i got sense the craft store was out of model clay and i wasnt payn almost 30 bucks for the large bucket that they had -__- the crayola air drying clay is... well it cracks alot the clay is a tad hard to work with so be sure to have water at had cuz it will be your best friend using it but sense it is workable with water repairs and fixes are do able just takes time and dedication to get it done ***warning this clay shrinks so you have to think about that when placeing it on that mask ***sadly the mask i got was not the right size but isnt so bad for like the side anbu look i made a anbu mask for a charactor that does not have one well a least i dont think she does tsunade, need to get a new camera cord when i do ill post my pics thanks for the tutorial!!!!

Last edited by Doku_Satou : 12-26-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Doku_Satou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #288
Starflux
Shadow MyPartner In Crime

awesome tutorial, im not actually making an anbu mask, im making rika's oyashiro's mask seen in the opening of higurashi when they cry, but this tutorial is perfect for it, thanks a bunch ^.^

Cosplayed/planned cosplay as:

Yuna from Final Fantasy X-2 - (Completed)
Rika Furude - Higurashi no naku koro ni (Bought)
Buneary - Pokemon Diamond + Pearl (completed)
Oshawott - Pokemon Black + White (completed)
Toph - Avatar Legend Of Aang (0%)
Adult Malon - Ocarina of Time (10%)
Windrunner - DotA2 (0%)

Its thanks to Hetalia that I now know a lot more in Geography and History....and I didn't even take Geography
Starflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #289
Doku_Satou
Shiny Spoork Of DOOM!!

heres the anbu mask i made thanks for the info ill be making this one again with model magic

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...565575&theater

The East coast side of VIC is looking to build a crew to cover cons events and interviews contact me for more info accepting temp, fulltime members
Doku_Satou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #290
SoundTheAlarm
Anbu Black Ops

Clay :D

Can I use other types of clay?
I mean, the "ordinary clay"?
SoundTheAlarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #291
Rekairu

this was good! thank you very much ^____^
Rekairu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #292
Nakimi Ishikawa

<3 i love this tutorial, I'm thinking of making Madara's flame mask with it but would it hold without the mask under it?
some masks don't fit on my face and feel uncomfortable, so im thinking of just making the mask on it's own. Has anyone done that? just eyeballing, sort of shaping a general shape and then sort of fitting it to your face? I'll most liely run into trouble with the eye hole not that i think about it...

I made a mini Tobi mask though and it's all hard now after i painted it (lol i let it dry for months before i finally got around to painting XDD) so maybe it will work? with a more life sized mask?
Nakimi Ishikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #293
ChidoriLove89

Just wanted to post my Anbu mask completed using this tutorial! It defiantly was not as easy as it sounds, but it still turned out awesome. I acutally used 2 different types of air drying clay since they were out of white model magic (like everywhere). I just used a different brand to mold around the face mask that was a bit sturder and was sandable. I finally found some white model magic and that is how i made his ears.

It is bit heavy since I used a more dense clay, but the result was good so I do not really mind. I am doing a female (no SNJ) kakashi anbu verison and I kept the markings the same execpt I added the anbu insignia on the forehead.

Here is a link to the photos of the completed mask (ending clear gloss to seal and some minor pain touch ups.)

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3371207/

[Convention Cosplay List for 2014
:
  • AOT Kakashi Hatake (Hidden Leaf Style)
  • Fran FF12 -- 10%
  • KosMos From Xenosaga
ChidoriLove89 is offline   Reply With Quote