Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #31
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by master kaze View Post
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! loved it, but i was thinking if using this technic i could make another animal mask, cause i don't like kakashi's mask, nd i want to make one that i've seen i think it's a monkey. XDDDD
Yup you can use this method to make other types of mask designs. Just remember, you would have to change the ears a bit.

I don't reccommend changing the eye shape though because, Miracle tried it and said it didn't work out.

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Saitou_Nami is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #32
Miracle
Loveliness

Oh no, you can make the eyes bigger if you cut the actual plastic, but if you try to make them smaller there seems to be alot of issues with just pushing the clay through. In that case it is -still- possible just very hard. If you've the time and the patience, and use masking tape instead of paper, or perhaps another alternative you can think of to build body to your mask, you should have no problem. As an alternative to an actual face mask one might buy some of that gaze (sp?) stuff that you can wet and fill the cracks. Have someone form it over your face (so it fits right, make sure you make a few layers) and smooth it out very nicely). Then, maybe cut the eyeshape through and attempt pushing the clay through, I think it would be less likely to stick (as it did with paper and cardboard in my case). But again, if you're going for eyes bigger than the holes in your mask, by all means, cut the plastic, as my issues was with the masking tape I used, not so much the mask itself n_n'.

(also I'll be sure to let you see both masks when they're done n_n)
Miracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #33
dor1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
Oh no, you can make the eyes bigger if you cut the actual plastic, but if you try to make them smaller there seems to be alot of issues with just pushing the clay through. In that case it is -still- possible just very hard. If you've the time and the patience, and use masking tape instead of paper, or perhaps another alternative you can think of to build body to your mask, you should have no problem. As an alternative to an actual face mask one might buy some of that gaze (sp?) stuff that you can wet and fill the cracks. Have someone form it over your face (so it fits right, make sure you make a few layers) and smooth it out very nicely). Then, maybe cut the eyeshape through and attempt pushing the clay through, I think it would be less likely to stick (as it did with paper and cardboard in my case). But again, if you're going for eyes bigger than the holes in your mask, by all means, cut the plastic, as my issues was with the masking tape I used, not so much the mask itself n_n'.

(also I'll be sure to let you see both masks when they're done n_n)
hmmm, what about puting taip on the eye holes and cut the tape in the size u want them to be or just cut the eye after u put the model magic and smooth it on the eye area
dor1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #34
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Miracle, I'm going to quote you for the first post, if you don't mind?

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Unread 02-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #35
Miracle
Loveliness

Feel free to quote me as you like n_n. Also, what I had done is, because my eyes were TALLER than the eyes in my mask but much much thinner, is cut the shape based on a cardboard stencil I made and then taped the empty area (the area cut out of the mask) that I needed to be filled. It actually worked -really- well the first time, however, due to an unfortunate incident involving the chin I lost my ability to be any more patient with the project and I also -had- thought my model magic had become useless (as it had partially dried), but it seems if you microwave it for a short time it regains its past composure. As for cutting the eye after the model magic is applied, that just doesn't seem like it would work to me as I tried and all three of the cutting tools I tried ended up stretching and deforming the clay in ways that hurt the rest of the mask. Also I would like to place emphasis upon the fact that if you are forming (using their hands to smooth around the eyes or anywhere else) the clay, you should hold it from the inside of the mask, and not set any side of the mask onto any surface other than the inside of the mask. I say this because this is how I ended up having all my work waisted and ended up just deciding to go for something that suited -this particular project- better.

EDIT - If you are going to do the smaller eyes, I do recommend you don't use paper or cardboard. The clay sticks to it (or at least mine did), and with the paper you likely won't be able to get some of your clay back (with the cardboard it is easier as generally it is less flimsy). I would recommend doing as I did and use repeated layers of masking tape, or perhaps try wax paper (although I've yet to test this myself). I'm thinking of trying a few different methods for forming the eyes, just to simplify it and not land others up in a vat of confusion like I was *laughs*. Oh, if you only knew half the silly things I tried.

Last edited by Miracle : 02-03-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Unread 02-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #36
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

C: Lol, you really tried hard to make that work! Thanks for all the info Miracle-san! I'm sure this information will help other cosplayers figure out how to reshape the eye area of the mask.

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Unread 02-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #37
Monkie
moo

Have you got your mask painted yet? I wanted to see what it looks like, because I'm in the process of getting the materials.
Monkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #38
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkie View Post
Have you got your mask painted yet? I wanted to see what it looks like, because I'm in the process of getting the materials.
Not yet...but I'm going to try and get my uncle to paint it sometime this month.

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Unread 02-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #39
Miracle
Loveliness

Ooo, an interesting note about model magic. I heard you can blend different coloured clays to get different colours in the clay, or even a marble effect. I'm not sure if there is any cosplay use for this (there could be), but at the very least it sounds spiffy n_n.
Unread 02-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #40
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle View Post
Ooo, an interesting note about model magic. I heard you can blend different coloured clays to get different colours in the clay, or even a marble effect. I'm not sure if there is any cosplay use for this (there could be), but at the very least it sounds spiffy n_n.
C: Yup, you can. It actually ends up looking quite interesting lol. I had a project for school a few years ago where I had to make a bird, the one I chose to do had bright green wings so I think I mixed some of the colors...I know at least yellow was in there because when I look back at it, it has a yellow marble stream throughout the wing.

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Unread 02-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #41
Christycard
Yes...My master...

Hey, thanks a bunch for this tutorial! Also to all the others who have posted suggestions! I'm doing ANBU Kakashi, and was not planning on doing a mask, but this thread has inspired me. Wish me luck!
The rage and love, the story of my life.
Christycard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #42
dor1987

OmgOmg At Last!! i found a matrial that simmlar to that Cryola Model magic !!
now all i need is mask to make my haku mask!
but i got question!
how come u didnt made any finger print on your mask when u press the Model magic on the plastic mask?? i thot about useing GLoves
is that will do any good?
Unread 02-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #43
Saitou_Nami
Craft Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dor1987 View Post
OmgOmg At Last!! i found a matrial that simmlar to that Cryola Model magic !!
now all i need is mask to make my haku mask!
but i got question!
how come u didnt made any finger print on your mask when u press the Model magic on the plastic mask?? i thot about useing GLoves
is that will do any good?
What material did you find? I would love to know.

There aren't any finger prints because I didn't press my fingers hard into the model magic. I was really gentle per say with the stretching of the model magic. You could probably use gloves but I'm thinking that it would be difficult to stretch the material easily. O.o but then again, I never really have been able to use latex gloves...I don't care for the feel of anything around my hands.

Upcoming Cosplays:
Sexy No Jutsu Sasori
Dark Knight Rikku
Unread 02-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #44
dor1987

it's a paper clay it's belong to a chinse comapny Hehe really nice i tried to make thingwith it hehe it's cool to work with
i am makeing the mask now ^_^
Unread 02-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #45
dor1987

cheak it out :} after it will get a lil harder iw ill cut the eye hole like Haku's mask ^_^ and sand it untill it will be perfect and after all that work gonna paint with acrilc pain What do you think? :}
link:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/93/1402072057ch3.jpg