Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
Tiger_Lily

Arm of Doom.

I'm trying to make a Blood Seras cosplay, ya' know, when she loses her arm and everything, my only issue is the swirling black mass that replaces her arm. I want to make like a sleeve type thing I slip my arm in to, but what should I make it out of? I want it to be to scale and still be light weight and stiff so it's vertical in pictures. Ideas, please?

Last edited by Tiger_Lily : 01-07-2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Broken Link
Tiger_Lily is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
Rip Van Winkle
Rip the Hunter

I would STRONGLY STRONGLY suggest/encourage that you use foam...like, the squishy kind (plus it comes in huge sheets at Hancock Fabrics so you can make it without having to attach pieces together.) You can paint if black with fabric paint I'd wager. The foam will be incredibly light AND it will sway and wobble like Seras' arm-shadow-thingie does.

Cosplay Projects: Akon 2007 June 1-3
-Kresnik 80% Abel Nightroad 2.0: 0% (Trinity Blood)
-Catharina Sforza: 0% (Trinity Blood)
-Orochi Shermie: 0% (King of Fighters)
-Final Form Sora: 65% (Kingdom Hearts II)
Rip Van Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
Tiger_Lily

Oooh, yeah, foam would also be much easier to transport. Unfortunately there isn't a craft store near me, I have been told of a Joanns that is about an hour away, do they sell foam? Sheets large enough to make the arm in one piece?
Tiger_Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Online Joanns sales different kinds of thicknesses but you might want to phone first to see if they have it in stock. Also it comes in a roll that they can cut for you.

You are going to need to buy a thickness that is fairly stiff to begin with before cut the shape since it‘s going to loss a lot of the rigitness when you cut the design into it. You can cover it with fabric as well but the paint you want to use needs to be plastic based. Latex house paint it the cheapest and to get back some of the stiffness so it dose not end up flopping over you need to saturate the foam with the paint.

Another material to use paper maché over a rigid foam core (insulation foam)

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Katachi
Hypercats.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Van Winkle View Post
I would STRONGLY STRONGLY suggest/encourage that you use foam...like, the squishy kind (plus it comes in huge sheets at Hancock Fabrics so you can make it without having to attach pieces together.) You can paint if black with fabric paint I'd wager. The foam will be incredibly light AND it will sway and wobble like Seras' arm-shadow-thingie does.
I would agree with the foam, but I think it's going to need a liiiiitle bit of boning for support along the larger load-bearing suports. If you're any good with a sewing machine, see if you can get a think black vinyl/latex, or a shiny fabric to coat the whole thing with. As for the boning/support, Go get yourself a spool of electric fence wire and a pair of end nippers.

Assembly: get two large sheets of foam, half the thickness of the total thickness of the arm, and trace out your pattern on one. Take an electric knife and cut out your shape, place it on the other sheet, trace and cut again. Now take the electric fence wire, double it up, bend it, whatever, so you get some support in the places you need it. Take some 3M adhesive spray and glue the two halves together with the support wire in the middle. Don't spray where you expect your arm to go, that way, you can slide your arm in and grab the support wire.

Now um... do that sewing thing. And like, cover it in fabric. (I don't sew X3)
Katachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
astillar
Cosplay Engineer

If you want to skip the boning part, you might instead want to use upholstery foam. That'd give your flames a 3-d look, rather than the 2-d effect that craft foam would accomplish. And to make those flames stiff, just cut the upholstery foam over-sized for the black sleeve that'll contain them. By compacting upholstery foam, it becomes a bit more dense and rigid.
The alternative would be to be to use dowels or wiring as support, which would pose a hazard at a con.

astillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
Katachi
Hypercats.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by astillar View Post
If you want to skip the boning part, you might instead want to use upholstery foam. By compacting upholstery foam, it becomes a bit more dense and rigid.
The alternative would be to be to use dowels or wiring as support, which would pose a hazard at a con.
Yeah that's the part that's really going to come from trial and error... Is the upper half of the foam wing strong enough to support its own weight, or will the thing flap over and fold in half? Building a wire frame structure in the wing really isn't going to be any more hazardous than without. A wooden dowel would actually be more hazardous, since it doesn't flex or give way like a wire structure would.
Katachi is offline   Reply With Quote