Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 01-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Saturn Neko
Saturn Neko

What makes you look at a photo?

I was wandering what make others look at you photos? Is it the setting of the pictoure, the charecter, the series, or how well the coustume is made? What chaches your eye?

I mainly look at the charecters and series I know, but I also find my self looking at soo many others. After that it makes me whant to know more anime. It's also nice to see serten coustumes in progress. I also fasinated how others could find the right backgrount/setting. I live in the dessert wich make it harder for nice backgrounds. I find it wanderful how others could get such lovley places.
Saturn Neko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
CosplayerGabi
Shotgun Badass

All of those play a factor in which pictures I click on.
I'll click on series I know of course. But I will click if I see some costume I don't know cause it's in some awesome setting. Or if there is a really detailed costume being worked on even if I don't know it.

The desert has really nice sunsets and neat outcroppings of rocks for pictures. You might be able to use those.
Unread 01-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Kilane
I'm so confused.

Of course I'll look at it if I know the series, but I'll also click on it if something catches my eye. That could be anything; great costume, original photo idea, awesome backgrounds (forest, water, and church pictures are usually very pretty). I also love it when people do something original, so if there's a character I like and I see that someone's added a little bit of their own thing into it, I'll look at it.

---

~*Current Cosplay*~
Timeskip Naruto, from Naruto Shippuuden
- Status -
100%!! Bam!
- Future Projects
Haruko from FLCL (??)

I claimed Kyo from Fruits Basket at the claiming thread! BWAHAHA!
Kilane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #4
Houki

I first look for new and interesting poses and how the picture was taken. It needs to pop in the photo for me. I like to know who I am looking at but I try not to limit myself to just series I know.
Heather Dean *Silent Hill 3* 90%[/color]

**Con Line up**
Katsucon '11
Dragoncon '11
Houki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
sparr

Honestly, two things make me look at a photo.

First, technical difficulty. I am mechanically minded, so I love poring over photos of costumes and props that appear quite difficult to assemble. The k-nex trigun gun-cross at Ohayocon (http://sparrsstuff.com/gallery2/v/Oh..._2918.jpg.html) caught my eye, as did the various costumes integrating LED displays.

A close second, and I am not ashamed to admit it, are pretty / beautiful / hot / cute women (yes, those all mean different things). The same thing that would make me stop to look at an ad when flipping through a magazine will make me stop and take notice of your photo in a gallery.
sparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #6
sanjuan
For Hire

MMmmmmmm....
For me there are a few things:

Subject - Yes, I will admit that a pretty model catches the eye, but it also depends on how they compose themselves. If that person doesn't have any self-confidence in the particular cosplay, it shows. Sometimes I would see someone in something that is a tad too revealing but they look amazing in it, but they hunch over looking embarrassed which can kill it.

The costume plays a big role in it as well, if it looks stunningly well made then it is a winner in my books. That not only means actually resembling the character's clothing but also making sure that detail is not left out. Bad props or other accessories just make me go bleh.

Technicalities - This one is a tad more photography oriented. I love a photograph that plays with framing, lighting, symmetry, colour, the whole shebang! Some people like playing with the tradition -subject in centre staring straight at the camera- portrait shot but sometimes people like to take a whole new approach and how they carry that out attracts me to a shot.

Lighting is pretty important too; if the shot looks like it has been flushed out because of the flash or there is not enough light, it can really detract from the overall package. Sure there are sometimes when such effects would look great, but most of the time it is accidental and unwanted.

Ohhhhh and some people just love to toss in symmetry, lines and curves get to me just as easily as a ball of yarn gets to a cat! The background can really help add to a photograph and how one uses it can really rock my socks.

Colour is pretty important to me too, I hate to see costumes that have colours that are just completely flushed out or blindingly vibrant that it hurts. Anyone who plays with lighting and colour to achieve a certain effect and can pull it off gets a gold star in my books!

I could keep rambling on but to sum it all up....
A photo that really pulls me in is one that was well thought up. There are soo many factors that need to be taken into consideration when it comes to taking a photograph that it is really difficult to play with all of them while worrying about other things, but a shot that can really touch all the bases is what pulls me in!
Unread 01-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

The first thing I factor in when I'm looking for pics is if they're of a character/series I like. The second factor is the quality of the shots, because that can often turn a great costume into a mediocre one. The third factor is the costume itself, starting with the wig and then whether or not shinyness was used inappropriately.

As well, a kick-arse pose and background help, too.
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

I find I appreciate costumes I recognize, because its difficult of me to judge a costume of something i've never seen as I have nothing to compare it to!

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
folkeye
E.Z. Cheeze

First thing for me is definately if I know the character or not. Having an interest in a character I like is a drive to look. Second, if the composition is interesting I'll go in and take a look
Unread 01-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
arrowchild

Obviously, like everyone else, I'm drawn to characters and series I'm familiar with. However, I'm a big fan of interesting composition, lighting and color, of photographs that could easily stand alone as a piece of art in as well as outside of the cosplay community. I often look at pics of characters I've never even heard of because I'm fascinated by the beauty of the photo.

I'm also a sucker for 'in character' shots. I find nothing particularly intriguing about a hallway convention shot of a cosplayer flashing the imfamous 'V', no matter how goreous the costume or the cosplayer is. I much rather look at a cosplayer who is genuinely trying to be in character.
arrowchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #11
Tsuiren

The first thing that makes me look at a photo would have to be the picture quality and clearness. Perhaps it's the fact that everything looks well, crisper and not blurred out.. this is a reason why I prefer professional photography. xDDD

Secondly would HAVE to be the character/series. If I see a really good costume, then my goodness, I WILl click on it. It's the same with people that look just like the actual character, that's huge. It just amazes me.

Brightness is a plus too. x_x I don't want any dark webcam/dark room photos to look at; I can't see how good the costume truly is.
Unread 01-27-2007, 01:09 AM   #12
Winry
Nyao! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuiren View Post
The first thing that makes me look at a photo would have to be the picture quality and clearness. Perhaps it's the fact that everything looks well, crisper and not blurred out.. this is a reason why I prefer professional photography. xDDD

Secondly would HAVE to be the character/series. If I see a really good costume, then my goodness, I WILl click on it. It's the same with people that look just like the actual character, that's huge. It just amazes me.

Brightness is a plus too. x_x I don't want any dark webcam/dark room photos to look at; I can't see how good the costume truly is.
I agree, those are all the qualities I tend look for too. Especially if it's a character I really like.
Unread 01-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #13
pedicuregirl

i like to look at what kind of story the photograph tells.

pedicuregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
Saturn Neko
Saturn Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosplayerGabi View Post
All of those play a factor in which pictures I click on.

The desert has really nice sunsets and neat outcroppings of rocks for pictures. You might be able to use those.
Thanks for the idea I'll defently try that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuan View Post
MMmmmmmm....
For me there are a few things:

Technicalities - This one is a tad more photography oriented. I love a photograph that plays with framing, lighting, symmetry, colour, the whole shebang! Some people like playing with the tradition -subject in centre staring straight at the camera- portrait shot but sometimes people like to take a whole new approach and how they carry that out attracts me to a shot.

Lighting is pretty important too; if the shot looks like it has been flushed out because of the flash or there is not enough light, it can really detract from the overall package. Sure there are sometimes when such effects would look great, but most of the time it is accidental and unwanted.
I have to agree. I'm trying to work on that with my own pictors... Can't wate antel the spring comes so I can expriment. I can't stand the pictors i've took that are too dark or bright.

I'm planing on being a photagraher and even a fasion designer. I've just finished my first somester in Photagraphy. (unforsently he's not teaching it this summester)

Next Con: ALA 9!
Costume for next Con:Seth form Trenity Blood, Misa form Death Note, ???
Costumes: Siegehart- 85%, Maline- 50%,Seth -10%, Lady Subaru(fixing)- 75%

My photagrapy is Con Albums and costusume/charectors is my cosplay Unless state otherwise in the discription of the album discription or the photo.. thanks

=^.^= The Neko has come
Saturn Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #15
Faust-ni-gami
Neutral SPY

its relevancy to what i am searching for and how it looks. those are my main reasons for viewing photos in the first place. if you've got a nice-looking photo, i'll look at it and compliment. that's how i work when it comes to photos.
Faust-ni-gami is offline   Reply With Quote