Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
bubydub
has lots of MENERGY

Molding with Latex and casting with hot glue? Is it possible?

I'm going to cast out 24 buttons for my D.gray-man cosplay group. I've already made the original button out of sculpey(baked) for the molds to go around, and I was wondering if it was possible to mold with latex, then cast with hot glue. I know you're supposed to use resin, but it's alittle too much for our budget. Would the hotglue stick and never come out? I know plaster as a mold is another option, but i'm afraid it won't pick up the fine details as well as latex, and I want to keep my original button. So is it possible to cast with hot glue with a latex mold? Does hot glue take paint well, and if so, what kind of paint should I use? Thanks alot!
Anime Expo
Upcoming cosplays-
Saber (Lily, Fate Unlimited Codes)
Simon (pretimeskip, Gurren Lagann)
Xing Ke (Code Geass)
http://bubydub.deviantart.com
bubydub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Katachi
Hypercats.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubydub View Post
I'm going to cast out 24 buttons for my D.gray-man cosplay group. I've already made the original button out of sculpey(baked) for the molds to go around, and I was wondering if it was possible to mold with latex, then cast with hot glue. I know you're supposed to use resin, but it's alittle too much for our budget. Would the hotglue stick and never come out? I know plaster as a mold is another option, but i'm afraid it won't pick up the fine details as well as latex, and I want to keep my original button. So is it possible to cast with hot glue with a latex mold? Does hot glue take paint well, and if so, what kind of paint should I use? Thanks alot!

I haven't made hot glue postives, but I've made latex molds and also resin cast buttons, so I can only comment on what I know:

You should be able to make a latex mold and a plaster mother mold of your sclupt. With resin, I know you need to spray your mold with a release agent, and I would assume it's the same for hot glue. When you're making your buttons, I would strongly suggest taking an exsisting button and placing it in the hot glue before it hardens, so you have a strong button base to attach to your costume. I've done it before with resin and flat head buttons and it works awesome. You might want to take some sandpaper and rough up the surface of the button, so the hotglue sticks better, also, see if you can cover up both sides of the button with hotglue, but leave enough of the shaft sticking out so you can sew it on.

Other people on the forum should be able to tell you how well hot glue takes paint. If it's being difficult, throw a coat of primer on it and paint over that.
Katachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Annie-Mei

Here's the tutorial i did for thermoplastic use:

http://808arus.blogspot.com/2006/11/...-are-cool.html
Annie-Mei is offline   Reply With Quote