Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Unread 01-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
WannaCosplay

questions about megacon :/

i was looking at the website and i see that it's not only an anime-con, but a trekkie/star wars/comic con too. actually, it seems to be mostly a sci-fi con with anime on the side. i was just wondering how anime friendly this con is? is there any animosity between the trekkies and anime cosplayers, for example? just wondering if this con is worth going to.
oh, and what's up with the afterparty? is anyone planning on going to it?
WannaCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Leenus

its pretty anime friendly and is worth going to in my opinion but it depends on how far your going to travel and how long your going to stay if your going to go I recommend going on saturday thats when all the anime events will be held and when the con is most lively also anime is slowly taking over that con last year their was possibly nothing but anime with your occasional sci-fi here and there so if your going one day make it saturday if possible and you wont be dissapointed either if you choose to go all three days.
Unread 01-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Lucifer

Honestly, if you're looking for a full convention experience (mostly for anime), I'd steer clear of Megacon. Its namely just a large dealer room with random events that are held separate from the main area. Anime related events are Saturday, but that's mostly a costume contest and AMV contest. Panels, workshops, etc, are all scifi/fantasy related, rarely anime.

As for animosity between costumers of the different genre's, I'd say no. Everyone is pretty cool with everyone else, as long as people stay mature.

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
WannaCosplay

thanks for the honest reply.
what hotel is everyone staying at by the way?

edit- oh yea i wanted to ask about this anime dance party on Sat. Is it worth hanging around until 8:30pm for it? what's it like?
i like nnnn tsss nnnn tsss techno music, so that's what i'm hoping it is

Last edited by WannaCosplay : 01-15-2007 at 12:23 PM.
WannaCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Solo
Mou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
Honestly, if you're looking for a full convention experience (mostly for anime), I'd steer clear of Megacon. Its namely just a large dealer room with random events that are held separate from the main area. Anime related events are Saturday, but that's mostly a costume contest and AMV contest. Panels, workshops, etc, are all scifi/fantasy related, rarely anime.

As for animosity between costumers of the different genre's, I'd say no. Everyone is pretty cool with everyone else, as long as people stay mature.
Last year they didn't have any anime panels because of the lack of rooms for additional activities. Since they are moving back to the C section of the convention center they will have more anime panels than last year. Here is a list of anime/japanese activities provided from Orange Anime for Megacon 2007. Enjoy ^_^

Quote:
FRIDAY

12PM - Brand New Day, Brand New Anime Panel
Start MegaCon with a discussion of the latest anime airing in Japan, as well as the newest releases here in the States.

1PM - Anime Name That Tune
Compete against other MegaCon attendees in the ultimate test of anime musical trivia.

2PM - DS Tournament (Two hour block)
Bring your DS and battle it out in a Mario Kart multiplayer tournament, or just hang around and trade friend codes while playing other games like Animal Crossing.

4PM – The Weird World of Japanese TV
Japanese television can be quite unusual at times. See for yourself as a host screens some of the strangest clips you’ll see this side of the Pacific.

5PM - Horror in Film and Television
Have a taste for the fiendish and the macabre? Think horror has gotten too gory? Or is it not gory enough? Discuss the state of modern horror with a panel of horror movie aficionados.

6PM to 8PM - Karaoke
Sing the night away, just like they do in your favorite anime. Featuring a selection of both American and Japanese songs, choose your favorite and step up to the mike or just watch the entertaining singing and antics that are bound to ensue.

-----------------------------------

SATURDAY
10AM - DS Tournament
Grab your DS and a cup of coffee to play against others bold enough to enter Orange Anime’s second DS tournament of the con.

11PM – AMV Panel
Always wanted to make your own AMV but don’t know where to start? Join award winning AMV creator Joslyn FitzGerald of Aqua Sky Productions as she explains the basics of what goes into making an AMV.

12PM to 1PM – Anime Name That Tune
Missed the first round on Friday? Choked on the name of the theme song to Genshiken? Got confused between Pretty Cure and Pretty Sammy? Here’s a second chance to show off your unparalleled anime musical knowledge.

1PM to 2PM – Jrock/Jpop panel
Think Hide means to duck behind a column? Improve your knowledge of Japanese pop and rock, or contribute to the discussion as a panel discusses current acts and old favorites.

--------------------------------------

SUNDAY
10AM – King of Fighters Panel
Talk about all aspects of the massively successful King of Fighters franchise

11AM – MMO Panel
From Everquest to World of Warcraft to the upcoming Firefly and Star Trek MMOs, talk about the past, present and future of massively multiplayer online games. Other topics will include PVP vs PVE, the real world sale of game items, free games vs monthly fees, the death penalty in games and MMO addiction.

12PM – Quickdraw Art Contest
Show off your artistic talents in three rounds of quick draw competitions. Prizes will be awarded to the winners.

1PM – Anime 101
What’s the greatest anime of all time? What does the future hold for anime? Debate your opinions with a panel as they discuss all aspects of anime, from the shows themselves to bootlegs, anime cons and cosplay.

2PM – Anime Pictionary
How do you draw “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya”? How about “Martian Successor Nadesico”? Or “Bleach”? Take part in the action or just watch as two teams struggle for supremacy in pictionary.

3PM to 5PM – Karaoke
Close out MegaCon belting out your favorite American and Japanese tunes in Orange Anime’s karaoke room!
Solo is offline   Reply With Quote