Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-16-2002, 09:17 PM   #1
Lillyxandra
Cosplay 4 life YO!

Does make-up make the costume?

Looking at all the Japanese cosplayers Iíve noticed that almost all of the girls have a fair amount of make-up on and it seems that most American cosplayers tend to overlook this detail when cosplaying. So do you all think wearing make-up helps complete the costume?

Unread 08-16-2002, 09:23 PM   #2
L to the 3rd
aka Scrawny Squall

well uh...let's just say, I wouldn't be Squall without
my Guy Make up. ^_^
Unread 08-16-2002, 10:21 PM   #3
Yggdrasil Pie
WRYYYYYYY

...I...never wear makeup...I just never feel right in it... ^^;;;
Unread 08-16-2002, 10:21 PM   #4
Lillyxandra
Cosplay 4 life YO!

*looks at avatar* I must say that when I first saw you avatar I thought you were a guy *hides head* You portray a very hot Squall with your make-up and hair^_~
Unread 08-16-2002, 10:46 PM   #5
Celine
Remember me?

This is a good question. I personally feel that makeup helps a lot. Most people have less-than-perfect complexions and makeup can hide imperfections. It also helps your features, like eyes, stand out in film. I've met plenty of people who are very beautiful in life, but cameras are harsh and I really think that everyone can benefit from makeup. I do wear makeup regularly, and I used to do a lot of stage makeup for theatre, so I might be a little biased. ^_^;;

...Guy makeup? What might that entail? ^^
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2002, 10:46 PM   #6
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Yeah, I've been wondering, what kind of makeup should you wear when crossplaying? oO;;; I wore some gray/silver eyeshadow when I was doing Sanzo, which doesn't show in pics but I think it worked better than a girlier color would have . . . but what about lipstick?

I try to wear more makeup than normal when I'm cosplaying . . . and I bought yellow eyeshadow specifically for Haruko, lol. (I found a pic where you can see that hers is yellow!) But I'm terrible with makeup so I'm pretty incompetent about the whole thing.
Unread 08-16-2002, 10:51 PM   #7
KuroBara
dog of the military

I haven't really chosen a make-up intensive character yet. I'll usually just wear my normal foundation & mascara. I wore some lipstick for Mireille, since she really does have pink lips. But pink looks horrid on me, so I wore a more flattering shade >_<

I'm planning on using some self-tanner in the future to get a more accurate skin tone for a character.
Unread 08-16-2002, 11:41 PM   #8
Lillyxandra
Cosplay 4 life YO!

For crossplaying Id say use a light foundation all over the face and focus mostly on the eyes(being the most important feature of the face) maybe put a thin black line all the way around the eyes and then some mascara. As for the lips Id just use some chapstick.

>I've met plenty of people who are very beautiful in life, but cameras are harsh and I really think that everyone can benefit from makeup

I agree the camera flash can really wash out your face. Makeup helps the eyes and lips stand out more, even a little makeup like lipgloss helps.
Unread 08-16-2002, 11:53 PM   #9
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Makeup is key - though I've only recently begun to appreciate that. I'm very pale, and I find I look completely washed out in photos if I'm not wearing serious foundation. Even a "natural" look requires more makeup than you'd think.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2002, 12:31 AM   #10
Cait

I agree and from now on am getting serious about the make-up. In the past all I really cared about were the clothes themselves. After attending a con, I began to finally grasp what color contacts, amazing wigs, and reasonable make-up can really do. My next two costumes will have a heavy emphasis on make up as part of the costume. What kind of beautiful princess would I be without it? And how would I pull off a cat girl's spots?
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2002, 12:32 AM   #11
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

I look kinda undead in the pics, and apparently I look that way in person too . . . I, uh, got asked at AX - "Is that makeup, or are you really that pale?" I think I need to go for some more blush and darker foundation. =_=;;;

And I really need someone to teach me to use eye liner . . . oO--- But thanks for the tips, next time I wear Sanzo I really need to do more.
Unread 08-17-2002, 12:37 AM   #12
Cait

I posted this on another thread, but I work with a woman who also is a consultant for Mary Kay. Before next year's cons I'm setting up a session with her to try out/pick out make up for my character to match the costume and creating a custom compact out of the components I'll need.
Unread 08-17-2002, 12:38 AM   #13
Ali-kun
Ask a GENtern...

Ack...makeup @_@ I should get someone to teach me about makeup. I never wear it...and I'm doing a FEMALE character next year who will require that I wear lots of exciting light pink makeup. It's practically panda...ack.

But I never wear makeup when I'm crossplaying...mostly because I don't think of it. It probably would be a good idea though, because some people did bring up the point that it can smooth out blemishes and such, and enhance facial features for the camera.

I'll just have to find someone who can teach me >_< Woo!
Unread 08-17-2002, 12:45 AM   #14
Cait

>>>And I really need someone to teach me to use eye liner . . . oO--- But thanks for the tips, next time I wear Sanzo I really need to do more.

>>>I'll just have to find someone who can teach me >_< Woo!

Mary Kay. The consultants do free makovers and give makeup parties to teach people how to apply make up. I just went to one not more than a week ago (as a favor to a friend). I never knew there was a thing called 'concealer' and that it actually concealed stuff. By the time they were done instructing me I looked rather pretty! ^_^ And after you go to a big party you can schedule personal sessions to test colors on your face an pick out colors/looks that are good for you. They also show you how to achieve looks. Old fashioned, but neat.
Unread 08-17-2002, 01:01 AM   #15
Tenshisama
Gimme a Chu!

Ooooo makeup ^_^ I rarely use makeup normally cause it feels kinda icky, but I always wear something when I cosplay. (I think the majority of my makeup collection is for cosplay use ^_^; It wouldn't be cosplay without the bright red shoujo lipstick ^_~