Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
ChocolateMuffin
Gon' git raped!

Acne Marks, Acne, and Pimples

Yup, I have all three, and don't forget freckles. Is there a make-up that could hide it for a day or something? Cause I've been using Clearisol and it's been working fine, but I don't think it will be gone in time for the con. Plus it usually comes back after a while. So I just need something to cover it up for a day or two.

Thanks.

Anime Central `07

Wizard World Chicago (???)
ChocolateMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
galaxiahime
killer plushie queen

Almay makes a hypoallergenic foundation for oily skin that has salicylic acid, the acne-fighting stuff, so it helps to heal the acne as well as cover it. I use it, and it does the job. Unfortunately, I have such fair skin, the lightest shade is still too dark for me. So, I wear the Almay for everyday stuff, and then for things that matter, i.e. cosplay, I wear a lighter CoverGirl foundation that matches my skin tone better. Depending on your skin tone, though, you could probably find a shade in the Almay that will work for you.

When I have acne issues, I use an astringent beforehand (Neutrogena makes an astringent that cleans pores and helps prevent blackheads) to shrink my pores during the day and help prevent my skin from getting very oily. I put on the foundation, then use a concealer for any spots that need better coverage. To finish, I use translucent powder. At a con, I always make sure I have a powder compact with me to keep my face from getting all shiny after a few hours, as well as to keep those nasty zits covered when they might start to get a little red.

Setsuka - Soul Calibur III / 40%
galaxiahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
quelara
board

one word .............toothpaste. It works for me and whilst it may not get rid of them all it should clear it up noticably also coverup for anything else.
quelara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
chisainekocat
Harr0

I've used Neutrogena's skin clearing liquid foundation with salicylic acid, and I love it! I used it throughout the week before a con, when I usually breakout from stress and lack of sleep from sewing all night. I didn't get a single zit the whole week. Like galaxiahime said, after you put your liquid foundation on, finish off with some powder.

My old cosplay group: JAC Productions (with Paro Paro Inc friends) jac-productions.com/
chisainekocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
mizuhaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelara View Post
one word .............toothpaste. It works for me and whilst it may not get rid of them all it should clear it up noticably also coverup for anything else.
I do NOT recommend toothpaste. It just dries out your skin, covers your pores with mintyness ( allowing the oils to accumulate), and contains an ingredient that does not allow your skin to tan, so you'll have blotchy spots of color on your face if you go out in the sun and use it often.

I DO recommend drinking lots of water, washing your face three times a day with a noncomedogenic face wash ( I use one called Cetaphil), and moisturizing your face afterward ( Aveeno is a great brand). Avoid touching your face; you'll be surprised how much this helps. ^^

For acne scars, good brands like Biore sell scrubs to remove the dead skin left behind from your scars.

For future cons and clean skin in the near future I suggest visiting your doctor and asking for Differin. They are these awesome pills that keep your face clear, and you take one a day. ^^ The only problem is that you have to take them a whole month before you start seeing a real difference, but it's worth the wait.

If you still have acne a few days before the con, I suggest holding an ice pack to the area instead of popping it; this will lower the redness/ inflammation of the pimple, and shrink it in size.

Last edited by mizuhaki : 01-20-2007 at 11:48 PM.
mizuhaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 04:00 AM   #6
Celeborn
There ain't no village!

Ditto especially to the drinking of lots of water, it makes quite the difference. I try to drink a liter and a half a day, it improves your health in a lot of different ways.

Also, if a zit does happen to pop a day or two before a con, I find that triple antibiotic lotion tends to help clear them up. Just make sure you don't use too much, and that it doesn't dry out your skin.

Good luck!
Unread 01-21-2007, 04:20 AM   #7
sakura-chan87
Waiting for her Sasuke

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuhaki View Post
I do NOT recommend toothpaste. It just dries out your skin, covers your pores with mintyness ( allowing the oils to accumulate), and contains an ingredient that does not allow your skin to tan, so you'll have blotchy spots of color on your face if you go out in the sun and use it often.

I DO recommend drinking lots of water, washing your face three times a day with a noncomedogenic face wash ( I use one called Cetaphil), and moisturizing your face afterward ( Aveeno is a great brand). Avoid touching your face; you'll be surprised how much this helps. ^^

For acne scars, good brands like Biore sell scrubs to remove the dead skin left behind from your scars.

For future cons and clean skin in the near future I suggest visiting your doctor and asking for Differin. They are these awesome pills that keep your face clear, and you take one a day. ^^ The only problem is that you have to take them a whole month before you start seeing a real difference, but it's worth the wait.

If you still have acne a few days before the con, I suggest holding an ice pack to the area instead of popping it; this will lower the redness/ inflammation of the pimple, and shrink it in size.
Wow, I'm going to have to write all of this down. Thank you! ^_^

Something I've used that I've noticed really helps is eating healthier too. Not drinking as much pop and cutting down the amount of junk food by replacing it with HEALTHY good food helps too. Dermontologist recommended medication is always good, but I'm going to speak out here and recommend ProActive for ANYONE struggling with acne problems. This stuff works like a charm. ^_^

Also, girls, avoid using heavy foundation that is oil-based. I see a LOT of it out there and being a competition cheerleader, its hard to NOT use it. If you must use cover-up, go get Clinique CLARIFYING foundation. It will do its job and not clog up pores. ^_^

(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
sakura-chan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
Serephina
Addicted to White Claudia

Tea tree oil.
It really works.
Unread 01-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Tenkage-chan
Oldschool Sephy Fangirl

This is all very helpful. I'm gonna have to start making notes of all these varying remedies. I suffer from adult acne, myself, and while I'm still a few months away from ACen, I'd love to clear away all my problematic black heads.
Princess Shoukei: Twelve Kingdoms~ 100%
Kamiya Kaoru: Rurouni Kenshin (Jin-e Arc)
Serra: Fire Emblem~ 100%
Click To Visit The Cosplay Teahouse!
Tenkage-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
Usachan
cosplay dreams come true

I have always found in the past Benzoyl Peroxide has worked for me in the
past, it might take a couple of days but it dries up the pimples pretty well.

Don't rub it in but simply use a cotton ball or those cotton make up remover
pads to dab it on instead. You may or may not experience dry skin, that is
nothing to worry over, it goes away. Best inexpensive treatment out there.
Usachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 12:54 AM   #11
FollowTheLida
Diabolo Pierrot

I used to have horrible acne. A good way to cover it up is by buying a green concealer stick. Yup, green. Dab the green stick on red areas/pimples. Though, be cautious of how much green you use, use it sparingly; because it may give your skin a green tint. Then, get a make-up application sponge and BLOT, don't rub, the green areas so it blends in better with your skin. Then, get a concealer stick that matches your skin tone and cover up the green areas, and other problem areas you have. Blot, blot, blot until it blends in with your skin. Then if you want, apply a powder to set the makeup.

EDIT: Tenkage-So you have adult acne? Have you ever tried Accutane? I just finished my 5 and a half month course of it and it has changed my life. I used to have severe acne all over my face, and some on my back, along with very oily skin. Accutane completely cleared everything up, and I don't have oily skin anymore. Taking this medicine was the best thing I have ever done in my life. Though, this medicine should only be taken if everything you have tried has failed...(prescription creams, pills, and even laser treatments.) Accutane should only be taken as a...last resort I guess.

Last edited by FollowTheLida : 01-22-2007 at 01:03 AM.
FollowTheLida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 06:27 AM   #12
Celeborn
There ain't no village!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephina View Post
Tea tree oil.
It really works.
Aye, I've heard that. Just remember to make sure that it's diluted- about 5% or 10%- and to do a skin test first. Some people are allergic to it, and if you put the full-strength stuff on your skin, you could have a nasty reaction. :\

Also, sometimes Tea Tree oil comes in a lotion with Vitamin E, which is s'posedly very good for your skin, so that might be something to look out for.
Unread 01-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
mizuhaki

I know a lot more about about acne, but I don't want to take up too much space. It's ridiculous how much I've read up on it. xD I'm tempted to make a guide for clear skin *calls dibs on it and runs away*

Last edited by mizuhaki : 01-22-2007 at 08:55 AM.
mizuhaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
Norwegian
Myuuur. :B

Everything that has already been mentioned are great things to try, especially drinking lots of water; it's a solution you know won't fail you because if it doesn't help acne, at least it'll keep you hydrated and healthy in other ways. :3

Although, has anyone experienced their skin forming an...immunity of sorts? I have tried almost everything out there (with the exception of the drastic stuff like laser treatment and medication - I'd like to stay away from that if possible). And whenever I try something, it will work for about a month, tops, then just...stop. It's almost like my skin is now immune to benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and everything else found in acne cleansers. o_o;; It dries out my skin but doesn't help remove acne. ^^;;
Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
Celeborn
There ain't no village!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
Although, has anyone experienced their skin forming an...immunity of sorts? I have tried almost everything out there (with the exception of the drastic stuff like laser treatment and medication - I'd like to stay away from that if possible). And whenever I try something, it will work for about a month, tops, then just...stop. It's almost like my skin is now immune to benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and everything else found in acne cleansers. o_o;; It dries out my skin but doesn't help remove acne. ^^;;
Oh, totally. I find that stuff can work great for a few weeks, and then either stop working or just not work as well. I have a couple of products that I switch between- if I stop using a given one for a couple of months, usually it will work better when I start using it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuhaki View Post
I know a lot more about about acne, but I don't want to take up too much space. It's ridiculous how much I've read up on it. xD I'm tempted to make a guide for clear skin *calls dibs on it and runs away*
Go for it! And don't worry about taking up space, I doubt anyone minds the extra advice.