Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #16
theleaningelm
Resident ghyti

I have to agree with you, both Norwegian and Celeborn. I don't know if it's the products or my skin staging a coup on me? The only product that has really held up for me is Proactiv. Has anyone else tried it? It's been three months and I FINALLY feel like I've grown out of my teenage phase. XD

Caveats I'd like to insert are: the stuff was pretty irritating in the beginning. I was actually breaking out MORE the first week. However, it died down after that (and after I called the hot-line 50192340198237401734 times to complain) and no longer made my skin red and itchy. The lotion is also (go figure) pretty drying, because they've also snuck benzoyl peroxide in that. You might want to skip that step and just use your own moisturizer instead.
theleaningelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
Lady
Sexy vonSexpants

Proactiv didn't do anything for me. Neither did laser treatments or pretty much any topical treatment out there. It turns out that I have skin very sensitive to salicylic acid, which was just making the problems worse. I ended up going on antibiotics for 6 months (finishing those up now) and they helped a TON. If you're female, hormonal birth control can do alot to balance your hormone levels and clear things up.

I had the option of accutane, but after reading who shouldn't take it (me) and all the potential side effects, I had to look at other options.

A warning about antibiotics, though - females on antibiotics for over 1,000 days in their life have a MUCH higher chance of developing breast cancer later in life. So if you've already been on alot of antibiotics, you might not want to look into that option with your dermatologist.

As for my left-over spotty discoloration, I've been using a cream called Avage about 2-3 times a week, and it's been working pretty well. Though, it also cost me over $100, so for that price, it damn well better work!
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #18
ErinTheHalfABee
Wretched demi-bee

Another idea is to look into men's facial care products. I used to have problems with my skin, but as I got older they began to go away. Not completely though, and I found that clearasil and all that stuff didn't do much (I had also been using Clinique)...so I bough men's Oxi pads, ultra magnum super strength, and I rub my face once or twice a day with it. That has been working wonders for me.

I'M SUPER SERIAL!
ErinTheHalfABee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #19
FollowTheLida
Diabolo Pierrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
Proactiv didn't do anything for me. Neither did laser treatments or pretty much any topical treatment out there. It turns out that I have skin very sensitive to salicylic acid, which was just making the problems worse. I ended up going on antibiotics for 6 months (finishing those up now) and they helped a TON. If you're female, hormonal birth control can do alot to balance your hormone levels and clear things up.

I had the option of accutane, but after reading who shouldn't take it (me) and all the potential side effects, I had to look at other options.

A warning about antibiotics, though - females on antibiotics for over 1,000 days in their life have a MUCH higher chance of developing breast cancer later in life. So if you've already been on alot of antibiotics, you might not want to look into that option with your dermatologist.

As for my left-over spotty discoloration, I've been using a cream called Avage about 2-3 times a week, and it's been working pretty well. Though, it also cost me over $100, so for that price, it damn well better work!
Ah, I know Accutane sounds scary...but it isn't. And I've found that researching Accutane on the internet is a bad idea because all you see are horror stories. When people experience bad side effects from Accutane, it's only a small percentage that do...it's very verryy rare for anything serious to happen. There are so many wonderful success stories, and a small small amount of horror stories. For me, I had a wonderful success story Everyone I've talked to on the internet and in person who have taken Accutane only experienced dry skin, dry lips, and some aches in their joints occassionaly. Talking to your doctor about Accutane also helps. I loved my doctor, he made sure I was doing fine with the medicine and gave me the amount that was suited to my body. All Accutane is is a bunch of vitamin A anyways.
FollowTheLida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #20
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not, but I highly recommend Cover FX coverup. You should get the cake kind for it's highly pigmented and covers up anything from acne, scars (even deep scars), rashes to burns and tattoos. You can get a hypoallergetic type in this brand and it's great for making your skin appear smoother and clear without using theatrical makeup. Remember, your skin isn't just one flat color but a mix of various tones.
Unread 01-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #21
lostsummoner
random person #27

Someone up that way mentioned the immunity, which of course sucks, but it does happen.

I used to use a different thing every month [because it would take me about that long to run out of what i used, therefore it worked for me]

What I always did, I just used plain old soap and water because the facial soap always broke me out worse and made me itchy, so just regular soap and water lol. Then I'd wipe a cotton ball [or the triangle makeup sponge, whichever i had with me] that was soaked in either rubbing alcohol [normally 70%] witch hazel, apple cider vinegar or an astringent such as sea breeze. After about twenty minutes [or whenever my face stopped tingling] I would put on the acne fighting lotion stuff [i always used the 'ultra' stuff that took three days to work] all over the problematic skin, not just the spots I had.

In the morning, I would just use a pad like Oxy, Neutrogena and stuff, use it after work [sometimes during work if it was an especially hot/sweaty day]. It worked pretty good for me. I still have occasional breakouts, but I'm sure everyone does.

Tried proactive, and it didnt work for me, it made me break out. Same thing with the Noxema [which i can't spell lol] cream stuff.

Back burner: Anima [FFX] 0% (figuring out HOW to make it ...)
Feel free to IM me about random crap, just be sure to tell me where you know me from
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
lostsummoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #22
mizuhaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsummoner View Post
Tried proactive, and it didnt work for me, it made me break out. Same thing with the Noxema [which i can't spell lol] cream stuff.
Yes, same thing happened to me after about 3 months of consecutively taking it. Depending on your skin, it only works for certain people ( and I'm not sure why). It's expensive, and if you stop using it immediately stop using it or skip a few days, you'll break out.
mizuhaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 11:49 PM   #23
xNagi
japanesenagi@deviantart

I've used Clean and Clear's pimple clearing gel. Though it has minimize my pimples immediately.
Sadly, it left some marks.
I have learned the hard way that you shouldn't use clearing gels often.

credit: got my avatar template here
xNagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #24
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

I second the hormonal birth control. Aside from acne, I had bad mood swings and a problem with skipping my period for months at a time. Once I got on the birth control, all three problems cleared up. Basically, my body doesn't produce the right hormones, in the right amounts, at the right time. I still break out right before my period, but not as bad as I used to.

Also, for pimples, I sterilize a pin and lance it to get the pus out. Then use alcohol to disinfect the area. It makes it heal pretty fast.

I wash my face every day when I get up and use astringent when I notice blackheads forming. I also use a loofah sponge and anti-bacterial shower gel to exfoliate my skin and lessen the likelihood of adult acne.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #25
Usachan
cosplay dreams come true

Another thing I have tried in the past was Hydrogen peroxide. True that
it is used mainly for wounds. But I also found if you use a cotton ball or
q-tip swab to dip onto the pimple, you will see a change in your skin in
a few days. It's most commonly used to apply on wounds, but I have also
found in the past it clear's acne aswell. *Depending as well on your skin tone*
Usachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #26
calen383
mendacity to the max

I use the Stridex pads for sensitive skin. I'm a lazy person and don't have that bad of an acne problem, but if I didn't use them, the pimple problems would be worse. With the pads, breakouts are occasional and limited to just a few on my face. But, again, I'm lazy. I could probably be a lot more forward with my skin (such as getting rid of those black pores all over my nose) but I just stick to what is easy to apply and get into the habit of using.

>.> I don't know if what I said just made any sense. xD But that is my two cents. :-P
Cons planned: Otakon 11 - NYCC 11 - AnimeBoston 12
calen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #27
Aqua's Rhapsody
FIERCE!

I used Accutane too, and it worked SO well, but my skin was like as dry as hell during that period, xD. I finished in like Feb and it's been almost a year and my acne is coming back though. ;_;. They said that if it ends up coming back that a 2nd cycle should clear it up for good, so I may have to do it again *sigh*.
Aqua's Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #28
agent_airline

Ok for everyone who has tried everything (aka me, who spent 6 good years as Volcano Face) and nothing worked...
HTTP://WWW.ACNE.ORG

i know i sound like an ad "hey, it worked for me!" but its actually not a product. Its a community that rates every product out there and is there for support/questions.
It centers around a specific routine that is easy to tailor to your own skin type and also easy to keep up with and cheaper and more effective than Proactiv (i guess acne.org saves by not hiring celebrities!!). The focus is their benzoyl peroxide cream that is gentler than most products out there.

Not only did I clear up my acne, but I learned about products that helped me get rid of the scars and avoid more scars. Also, I didn't have any initial breakouts or overdried skin!! Yea, totally a miracle for me. Plus they will answer any question ever about acne.

I've been using their BP for a year.. just recently I went to see my dermatologist and she barely recognized me!

---

As for makeup.. I use True Match concealer and Sonia Kashuk powder, but I'm looking into Bare Minerals (priceyyy!) I have freckles too and they get covered just fine (see my gallery for further proof?)
Whole Foods has a good selection of organic/mineral based make up that won't irritate your skin but sadly I'm too pale for most product lines ;o;

Before putting makeup on, your skin has to be well moisturized! If your acne cream/medecine dries out your skin, any makeup on top will look horrible and flake off.
I recommend Cetaphil moisturizer with spf 15.

Be very careful with any alcohol based products like astringents.. I've gotten burns from some of them and I don't even have sensitive skin.
Unread 01-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #29
Usachan
cosplay dreams come true

Let's see here, this is my 3rd post on here but I thought I would also talk
about a few other products that I asked around with my friends and what
they use. Clean&Clear Foaming Facial CLEANSER is a "ok" product as long
as you are careful not get into your eyes, not to mention oil-free is a huge
plus. Afterwards Clean&Clear Blachead Clearing. I, myself have been using
this for over a month myself because I have some bad blackheads on my
chin. (I don't like talking about it overly much) But I find it somewhat good.

Clean&Clear Dual Action Moisturizer is supposily good for the skin cause it
helps 'prevent breakouts' I didn't like this product much because I still got
breakouts. But it did leave my skin feeling soft and smooth until I changed
moisturizers. Next, PanOxyl Aqualgel acne gel, only add a dab on, this stuff
really works fast within a week or two and is really good. Only problem that
I didn't like much about it is the fact that my skin would get very dry & itchy.

http://www.cleanandclear.ca/eng/index.asp#A4101
Usachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #30
lostsummoner
random person #27

I don't recommend it for everyone, but something I use when i'm having a rather bad breakout [about once a month or so during hormones] i use the sloughing cream from Avon. Okay, so its a foot thing, but it really works for me. It's more or less a stronger form of an exfoliant, but it works for me, I just felt as though I would put that out there.

Mudd self heating facial wash is good too, although its really an eye opener due to the fact of how hot it gets if you're not careful.

Back burner: Anima [FFX] 0% (figuring out HOW to make it ...)
Feel free to IM me about random crap, just be sure to tell me where you know me from
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
lostsummoner is offline   Reply With Quote