Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #61
VonDan
Leather Master

Oh I thought I heard you say Arcane Mark never mine

Unread 05-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #62
XKelpieX
Lady of Tir na Nog

Mehron tattoo cover foundation will cover ANYTHING. Just make sure to use a facial scrub at the end of the day as it is pretty thick. The price is $7 and is easily found on eBay or costume sites.
XKelpieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #63
The Commodore
Nico's Disciple

I have oily skin and hair, and my hair goes down to about my eyebrows. Recently I have had a ton of pimples and what not in between my eyebrows and above them. I wash my face in the shower in the morning, clean it off after gym and wash it again with a different product at night, and then put a Clean and Clear blemish product on them. But whenever they go away, new ones pop up. Any suggestions?
Naota - FLCL - Youmacon 2010

Future Cosplay:
Remy - Repo Men - 0%

Upcoming Events:
Anime Central 2011

I claimed Nicholas D. Wolfwood at the Claiming Thread!
The Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 12:06 AM   #64
Lady Sheridan
Spartan Queen

Heh, first post here...I've been lurking and decided to jump in here of all places. It's a topic close to my heart.

I have the worst skin in the world. I've suffered from cystic acne for years, it kicked in major as I hit my 20's...I've had to go get spots surgically removed because they were so swollen. They offered me Accutane but they didn't even think that would get rid of it. And like someone else here mentioned, anything they gave me, I built up resistance to in a month or two...I can't think how many hundreds of dollars I've spent on prescriptions.

First, the make-up I would recommend is Estee Lauder's Double Wear Foundation. It's actually not any more expensive than MAC or Bare Minerals and it will cover everything, it's practically as thick as a theatre make-up but doesn't look like a thick mask. And it LASTS. I never leave the house without make-up...and I went to Aint It Cool News famous 24 hour "Butt Numb A Thon" wearing it. When I left at 11am the next morning, I still looked good. Underneath, I was an erupted mess, but no one could tell. I constantly get "Oh wow, you have such pretty skin" which is pretty gratifying.

And for making it all go away...the *best* stuff I have found for clearing up skin are LUSH's soaps. You can get them at www.lush.com or find a store near you. It's all natural stuff, so I don't seem to build up a resistance, plus I mix it up to keep my skin "guessing." I highly recommend the Angels on Bare Skin and the Sea Vegetable bar--I'll use the Sea Veggie in the morning, and then Angels at night...I mix Angels up with the Herbalism or Mud Flats. Seaweed, rosemary and mud...*best* stuff for your skin, seriously. It takes the redness and pain out.

The miracle LUSH product, without a doubt, is the Cupcake mask. The problem is that they only sell it in their store, because they mix it up fresh and you keep it in the fridge. Every time I've been threatened with a cystic breakout, I'll buy some, slap it on, and it gets rid of it. The LUSH people were really surprised, as they said they can't even recommend stuff for cystic acne because it's so impossible to treat. If you have a store near you, GET SOME. It's $10.00 but it's worth it. Your pores will disappear too, it's amazing. They also have another one for problem skin--I can't remember the name and I haven't tried it, but it's another option.

The other stuff I would recommend is Philosophy. It's designed for problem skin, although they don't sell it as such. You can get it at Nordstrom's or Sephora. The Purity cleanser is a great one. But the best thing to use is their moisturizers--Hope in a Bottle and On a Clear Day will work miracles for you. It makes your skin feel like a baby.

I also do a mask at home. Get yourself some bottles of jojoba and lemon oil (the real essential stuff) Mix a tablespoon of jojoba with 2-3 drops of lemon oil, put it on your face and leave it on for like 10-15 minutes. Both are natural antiseptics. Rinse it off with hot water or toner. It's greasy and you shouldn't do it more than twice a week, but it will really help.

And finally, your diet--drink lots of water, orange juice and pomegranate juice, but pick yourself up some Nordic Fish Oil tablets and a vitamin that has an antioxidant. Rainbow Lite or MegaFood are two reliable ones. I just started taking these and between them and all the stuff I'm using, my skin looks *really* good. Still not perfect, but I've got the Estee Lauder for that. And no more trips to the dermatologist, at any rate.

Sorry for my *long* preach here, but I've suffered for years with this crap and hopefully, something here will help someone out.
Lady Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 12:35 AM   #65
junko

just wanted to throw in some more tips.

I tried "tea tree oil" that people have suggested on this board... and wow! I love the stuff! I bought a small bottle at walmart for just under 3 dollars and I have to say, it's pretty good stuff.

I've had acne for a long while...been on the pills, proactiv, used every face product on the face of the planet. every neutrogena, clinqiue, shishedo, whatever and nothing does its duty.

I got off of the hardcore facewashes "made for acne"...
honestly, none of it has worked for me.

the tea tree oil is really gentle and keeps the breakouts at bay.

and in the meantime, I use bareminerals makeup while they fade.

good luck.
junko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 01:33 AM   #66
KnuxieChan
Thunderbolt's Bitch

I'll have to try the tree oil. I have a major problem with greasy skin and hair. And my skin creates a lot of yeast. >_<; Nothing really works. I've been trying Neutrogena acne bodywash for about 3-4 weeks now and I haven't noticed much of an improvement, other than my zits develop faster. It's ridiculous how greasy my upper body gets.

Does anyone get the red cheek problem? As soon as I got out into the sun, it really starts acting up and my skin gets red all across my cheeks and nose. Is there a way to fix that? Because it really ruins my cosplay pics for me.
Major Raikov (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker)
Joltik (Pokémon Hoodie)
Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 4)
Marik Ishtar (YGOTAS)

----------------------
KnuxieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #67
Lady Sheridan
Spartan Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippo87 View Post
I'll have to try the tree oil. I have a major problem with greasy skin and hair. And my skin creates a lot of yeast. >_<; Nothing really works. I've been trying Neutrogena acne bodywash for about 3-4 weeks now and I haven't noticed much of an improvement, other than my zits develop faster. It's ridiculous how greasy my upper body gets.

Does anyone get the red cheek problem? As soon as I got out into the sun, it really starts acting up and my skin gets red all across my cheeks and nose. Is there a way to fix that? Because it really ruins my cosplay pics for me.
I do--I suspect you have rosacea or acne rosacea (sp?) like I do. (It's great to have it *and* the cystic, eesh.) It tends to run in people of Nordic or Scandinavian heritage especially. Certain food or drink can set it off, but I always noticed that heat and cold did it especially. Alot of the over-the-counter acne products will set it off, benzyl peroxide and salicylic acid are a big no no. (Though I have found I *can* use products with salicylic acid, Philosophy has it, it just has to be mild.) That's probably why you are breaking out more, all those products always did the same thing to me.

What you need is a soap that'll balance out your skin without irritating it, and the red will get under control. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but get yourself Philosophy's "Hope in a bottle" and "on a clear day." You can watch the red vanish with that stuff.

Heat is something that will probably always set it off--with the right soaps and moisturizers, you can get it under control, but you'll still flush a little if you get really hot. So you may also want to pack some kind of toner--again, broken record, but LUSH does a "Breath of Fresh Air" toner that you can spritz on, it takes red and pain out of your skin and it feels soooooo good. And it won't dry your skin out to flakiness, you'll just feel clean and cool.

I'm trying to think of a good body-wash...you *could* get Philosophy's Purity cleanser, but it's designed for the face and might be a bit expensive to use all over. LUSH's Sea Vegetable soap is a bar you can use all over, but I can never get it to lather well, but it's an option. I would hit a heath food store and see if you can find a good body wash that has seaweed or teatree in it. A salt scrub might be good for you too. You want to "dry" your skin out without setting it off or sending it into flaky mode.

One thing to remember though, if you use something like teatree, LUSH's masks or Philosophy, you might break out INSANE the first week or so. That's actually a good thing, you're getting gunk out of your skin. It'll clear up fast. But if it hangs around for weeks and weeks, then you're having a bad reaction and need to find something else.
Lady Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 11:35 PM   #68
セクハラちゃん
sekuhara-chan

I LOVE Lush! I got the mudflats soap, and it really helped on my back and shoulders. Not to mention it smells amazing! I've always wanted to try their solid shampoo bars.

I have very stubborn acne, but I got a prescription (pill, topical, AND wash...) and it's worked pretty well for me. Took forever to work well enough that I was satisfied (it was pretty bad) but stayed patient. Another thing that I do is pull my hair back in a bandana before bed to keep the oils off of my face. And my friend suggests making sure that you wash your pillowcases regularly.

Ah, before I break apart the rain falls down
On me only
Before I calm down tears flow over like rain
Then I sleep quietly

黒い虹~メリー
セクハラちゃん is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #69
MasterOfMetal
I pwn metal..

ehh ive been working in machine tooling so im exposed to alot of dirt, grease, grime, oil, wd-40, coolant wht ever u name it. 2 days beore anime north... BREAKOUT, so i really dont care im just gonna do wht i can to cover and clear. but if you see me there and point out a blemish, i will never make another headband again..... no more cool things for you guys and girls to stare in awe at... -.-"

Last edited by MasterOfMetal : 05-23-2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: he he i accidenly put 22 instead of 2
MasterOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 08:26 AM   #70
Lady
Sexy vonSexpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Sheridan View Post
I do--I suspect you have rosacea or acne rosacea (sp?) like I do. (It's great to have it *and* the cystic, eesh.) It tends to run in people of Nordic or Scandinavian heritage especially. Certain food or drink can set it off, but I always noticed that heat and cold did it especially. Alot of the over-the-counter acne products will set it off, benzyl peroxide and salicylic acid are a big no no.
Seconding.

I find my rosacea acts up the most when I've been having alot of dairy in my diet, so you could try reducing your dairy intake to see if that helps at all. (Reducing dairy helps lessen my asthma, too, so even though I love dairy like crazy, it's something I just can't have in my diet as much as I'd like.) I use St Ive's sensitive skin Apricot scrub, too, but the dairy reduction and getting the hell away from salicylic acid has done the most to get rid of it for me.
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #71
megatopsy
Megatopsy

I've had really bad skin all throughout junior high and high school. One day I was watching an infomercial at like 3:00 in the morning, and it was for makeup. Well...the commercial was very convincing, so I bought some. The makeup is called Sheercover. It's amazing!
ANYWAYS (:P) It covers up REALLY well and the starter kit is about $30.00 +shipping, but it's worth it ^_^
www.sheercover.com
megatopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #72
megatopsy
Megatopsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commodore View Post
I have oily skin and hair, and my hair goes down to about my eyebrows. Recently I have had a ton of pimples and what not in between my eyebrows and above them. I wash my face in the shower in the morning, clean it off after gym and wash it again with a different product at night, and then put a Clean and Clear blemish product on them. But whenever they go away, new ones pop up. Any suggestions?
I used to have the same problem ^-^;; I use St. Ives facial scrub for oily skin, but depending on how severe it is, they have different types. I let my bangs grow out and started wearing them away from my forehead, it helps. Sometime bangs just aren't as cooperative as we'd like ^_^
Unread 05-25-2007, 01:06 AM   #73
megatopsy
Megatopsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuhaki View Post
Yes, same thing happened to me after about 3 months of consecutively taking it. Depending on your skin, it only works for certain people ( and I'm not sure why). It's expensive, and if you stop using it immediately stop using it or skip a few days, you'll break out.
I've heard that when you start taking a good product for your skin, you break out more because all of the things that were clogged up and deep in the skin start to come up. So your skin has to get worse before it gets better....maybe? ^-^
Unread 05-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #74
Honey Usagi-chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateMuffin View Post
Yup, I have all three, and don't forget freckles. Is there a make-up that could hide it for a day or something? Cause I've been using Clearisol and it's been working fine, but I don't think it will be gone in time for the con. Plus it usually comes back after a while. So I just need something to cover it up for a day or two.

Thanks.
If you think you can't cover it up with regular concealers and foundation (Like if it's really heavy) than you can use cake make-up. It's also used for people with extreme acne problems or scars on their faces too. You can get a foundation in your shade at amphigory.com or mehron.com
Honey Usagi-chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #75
Honey Usagi-chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usachan View Post
I was introduced to a new acne product last month called Zap It! And I
find it works very well, however the product can only be bought in Australia.

It dries up the pimple and affected area and has a nice light scent almost
like tea-tree, it's main ingredient is salicylic acid. I also find that when it
comes to applying make up to make the pimple look shrunk unless it looks
smaller yet invisible in size is a powder that is oil free and matches skin tone.
That's not necessarily true, the FDA approved it and is now being sold in the U.S o_O;
Honey Usagi-chi is offline   Reply With Quote