Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #76
FallingAngel
God, I feel...Geeky.....

The biggest piece of advice I can think of is everyone is different and your skin will react differently. Not just based on genetics but also on where you live, how you style your hair and a million other things you might never have even thought of. I live in Cali but when I went to Italy I had to completely stop using moisturizer because of the climate change (I was dripping oil until I figured that out). If you have bangs then your probably going to break out more on your forehead or anywhere your hair touches because of oil and styling products. Sleeping on a dirty pillow case and sheets/blankets can cause break outs, wear the same PJs every night? Yep that'll do it too.

And here's the hardest part, most things designed to get rid of acne (talking OTC here, ie clearsil) will actually make it worse for most people. This is what happened to me. Those kind of products are not meant for people with serious breakouts or for long periods of time, they're just too harsh for the skin, the best thing to do is baby the skin, you need to bring it back into balance. I suffered for almost 10 years (still have the occasional problem but I've pretty much won the war now) because of these things. Basically I broke out when I was like 9/10 for some reason, my mom did the usual mom thing and bought clearsil and I used it which dried out my skin which made it produce more oil which caused more zits and made me the usual social out cast that occurs with persistent acne. This cycle went on for the better part of 10 years, until a) I moved out and into college (less stress if you can believe that), b) I stopped using OTC 'acne' products and went for ones that were meant for sensitive skin instead c) got good quality makeup d) birth control e) graduated college (oh, god did that help) f) moved back home to a dryer climate g) started procative.....and I think that's all it took pretty much.

Basically what I'm trying to say is this, you need to find what works for you, it's going to be different that what works for anyone else, even your siblings. If it's taking longer than a couple of months (and even that's a stretch) then it's probably not going to work.

Best advice I can think of, wash your face gently every morning and night, I wouldn't suggest anymore than that as it can over dry your skin and cause more problems. Try to use products made for babies, I know it sounds stupid but they're made to be very gentle. Always remove makeup, I use super gentle hypo-allgerigic sensitive skin baby wipes, gets off pretty much everything without residue and they're cheap. Wash bedding once a week, and just in general take care of your self.

Last thing, as much as I love those St. Ives scrubs, they're actually not that good for your skin, the partials are too rough and in most cases inflame/damage the skin more than help it. If you want to use it be extremely (can't stress that enough) gentle and only use it like twice a week.

To all those suffering with acne, I hope this helps....

Unread 05-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #77
squ33k t0y

This thread is interesting ^^

But would anyone have any suggestions for blackheads? My acne isn't that bad anymore (I'll get a pimple here and there, and some before I get my period but eh x.x) But I have a loot of blackheads, and when I use a lot of the blackhead removing scrubs, usually they make my acne act up if I use it regularly >< (and I don't notice it help anyway..)

Cosplay/Art Tumblr
squ33k t0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #78
Kirbs
i pawn joo?

i know that this will probably sound kinda wierd but

Advil...

haha...
seriously... crush up one of the blue ovally pills and put it into a bowl
then add 2 medium drops of water and stir with a toothpick until its basically blended together into this paste type of thing
use a q-tip to apply to acne spots and wait for it to dry (it should be a light blue) wash off with water when dry
It won't be immediate but after two or three times you'll see a difference

Otakon '12

Erza Scarlet Rube of Yuen (Fairy Tail)
--------------& bloody 'flame-pants' Version
Kirbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #79
CrossExtreme
I've got the rabies

To get rid of black heads on my nose I started using a shea butter and Adzuki bean exfoliator.

It was pretty intense, but really did the job. After my skin cleared up, it proved to be a bit too strong so I switched to a cleaner made of crushed almonds. It is more gentle, and like the old product I used, it also moisturizes because of the oils found in the almonds.

On days when my skin feels like it needs something more deep cleaning, I use cold cream and follow up with the almond cleanser.. My skin loves adverse reactions so I keep it simple!

All that from Lush by the way.. A poster a few pages back was also singing their praises. If anyone wants the real names for the products, let me know. But you'd be better off going to one of their locations and trying it for yourself.

Last edited by CrossExtreme : 06-09-2007 at 05:29 PM.
CrossExtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 03:38 AM   #80
inuashley

What really works well for me is Murad's line of Acne products all in combination. It comes in a body wash, a spot treatment, and a moisturizer. It's pricey, but it works. You can get it from Sephora. ^^
Unread 06-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #81
StolenPromise
The Little Evil Moogle

I use a a cleansing mask once a week. A exfoliating cleanser then a more gentle cleanser. I also use a acne bodywash called ZaptZyt. It all makes a difference, besides keeping my hair out of my face. The main oil producer.
I don't moisturerize often.
StolenPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #82
xkowa

i <3 apple vinegar. or apple cider vinegar... whatever it's called. I put some on a cotton ball and apply all over my face and it clears up acne like it's nobody's business (leave it on for ten minutes and then wash it off). i don't have major acne, but i've heard that apple vinegar (or any vinegar) will even reduce the really tough stuff like cysts or boils and it lightens scars and red/brown marks too. i also heard it balances the pH levels in skin, but i'm not sure about that. drinking vinegar is good for clearing up skin too, but it tastes pretty nasty.

if you have sensitive skin, don't forget to dilute it
Unread 07-04-2007, 12:53 AM   #83
ShameraKlotho
Citizen of Gallifrey

I'm... surprised no one has mentioned Witch Hazel yet.

Maybe they have, but I only skimmed the earlier pages. ^^;; But as a college student on a very limited budget to begin with, and all extra dollars go into Lolita and cosplay, I just don't have the heart to spend on expensive name brand facial stuffs, including makeups.

So here's some recommendations: Witch Hazel is an astringent that is good for drying the skin... you don't want your skin too dry, though, so I wouldn't recommend anything over a 14% alcohol content. It's a small liquid bottle that you'll find in most pharmacy sections, and completely natural. Plus is that it's cheap (you're being ripped off if the bottle is over $3) and effective, minus is a strong bitter smell. But you get used to the smell after the first two days, LOL.

Look for a...
Suigintou from Rozen Maiden
Sai from Naruto Shippuuden
ShameraKlotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:01 PM   #84
MidniteSunshine
The upside down cosplayer

I should probably try some of this stuff. I have really bad acne. I get blackheads, major breakouts, and to top it off I have majorly sensitive skin. However, what I strongly reccommend that you NEVER, EVER try is Clearasil Ultra Deep Pore Cleansing Pads-that stuff ATE MY SKIN!!!! I know it sounds very overlydramatic, but it did. After about two days of using the stuff, I had these huge gaping, raw sores that hurt like hell (they didn't smell very nice either TT_TT;; ). I'm currently using Clean & Clear Oil Free Continous Control Acne Wash (these product names are waaaaay too long) and Equate Exfoliating Apricot Scrub (European Formula). I can't vouche for them, though. I've only been using it for two days and I can't see any major changes.

*I know that tea tree oil is pretty good-it got rid of my sister's acne very quickly...It smells kinda funny, though.
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #85
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

The tea tree oil product i use is a scrub, and i use it in the shower... it says facial scrub, but i use it on my chest too. But I cant use it every day as it dries out my skin, so i use a seaweed gel regularly. I only wash my face once a day as it would end up getting dry in some parts, oily in others and just get upset otherwise. Either way I don't notice the smell when i'm in the shower much... it's not anything like apple cider vinegar ... which makes me want to pass out or puke.
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #86
toriuchiha12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateMuffin View Post
Yup, I have all three, and don't forget freckles. Is there a make-up that could hide it for a day or something? Cause I've been using Clearisol and it's been working fine, but I don't think it will be gone in time for the con. Plus it usually comes back after a while. So I just need something to cover it up for a day or two.

Thanks.

umm i use that oxy stuff it works really good it cleared my face up like the next day and you keep putting it on for a while and it keeps them away
Unread 04-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #87
Austrian_Ookami
in need of cosplay

I know a few tips, as far as prevention and soothing goes.

1. You should never use a peeling more than once a week. It may work well at first, but after about two weeks, your skin will become very dry and will begin to burn. This also goes for the daily peelings, which you could basically use 2-3 times a week without it destroying your skin too much. It'd probably be best to use it every time you shower your hair [assuming, you wash it every 2-3 days ^^].
2. After cleansing your skin, using peeling creams, etc., especially in the evening, I usually rinse a soft towel or cloth with very hot water. Then I lay it on my face until it cools off. This soothes the skin very well for me, as it proves a very relaxing method and let's the pores enlarge.
3. If you have a big zit, or a very swollen area, place an ice pack to your face to decrease the swelling. Just remember to cover the ice pack in a clean cloth. You don't want it to get germs on your face.
4. Since I've started dieting [as in eating healthier and excercising more] I have seen major changes on my face. My usually blotchy skin vanished, so now it's very smooth and clean. Eating healthy food really does help. Excercising will make your entire body get more oxygen. Drinking lots and lots of water can be a big help, too. Especially during a con, once you have all the make-up applied. I tend to break out when wearing inexpensive make-up, so I tried the water trick and it works pretty well.

Last edited by Austrian_Ookami : 04-21-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Austrian_Ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 03:12 AM   #88
Chistina199
'Queen of Hip-Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usachan View Post
I have always found in the past Benzoyl Peroxide has worked for me in the
past, it might take a couple of days but it dries up the pimples pretty well.

Don't rub it in but simply use a cotton ball or those cotton make up remover
pads to dab it on instead. You may or may not experience dry skin, that is
nothing to worry over, it goes away. Best inexpensive treatment out there.
That Benzoyl Peroxide stuff is the main ingredient in most pimple/acne cleansers so that would probably work the most, where abouts do you buy it from? the pharmacy perhaps?
Unread 04-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #89
Chistina199
'Queen of Hip-Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteSunshine View Post
I should probably try some of this stuff. I have really bad acne. I get blackheads, major breakouts, and to top it off I have majorly sensitive skin. However, what I strongly reccommend that you NEVER, EVER try is Clearasil Ultra Deep Pore Cleansing Pads-that stuff ATE MY SKIN!!!! I know it sounds very overlydramatic, but it did. After about two days of using the stuff, I had these huge gaping, raw sores that hurt like hell (they didn't smell very nice either TT_TT;; ). I'm currently using Clean & Clear Oil Free Continous Control Acne Wash (these product names are waaaaay too long) and Equate Exfoliating Apricot Scrub (European Formula). I can't vouche for them, though. I've only been using it for two days and I can't see any major changes.

*I know that tea tree oil is pretty good-it got rid of my sister's acne very quickly...It smells kinda funny, though.

Clean & Clear Oil Free Continous Control Acne Wash- never use that product! it doesn't help, it's didn't do anything besides making my skin dry and smells like foot powder!
Unread 04-27-2008, 05:45 AM   #90
Kailyn
The Alpha Bitch

I used to have bad skin, until I started using a brand called Lush. Their products doesnt contain any synethic stuff in it. I live and swear by their Angels on bare skin bar facial cleanser, Tea Tree water toner and Imperialis moisturser. I also recommend DreamWash shower soap and Sympathy for the skin body cream for those with sensitive skin on the body.