Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Air Gear

Unread 01-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #1
ChrowX
Here to Help

Making Air Treck: Brainstorm!

For those who don't know what Air Treck are, they from the series AIr Gear and to sum it up, they're inline skates with two large wheels (for most models) and seeing as most inline skates have 4 smaller wheels it's hard to modify a pair of rollerblades.

Your average pair of Air Treck (AT for short) look alot like this
>> Ikki's ATs <<

Eye-balling the size of the wheels I'd estimate them to be about the size of a 100mm wheel (often used on those Razor scooters)

I found some reasonably priced 100mm wheels >> here <<

Now, finding the wheels and making the boot covers isn't really the issue, that's really just a matter of making a boot cover.

The question is how to do rig said wheels onto a pair of shoes and keep them functional. Where to find the parts, how to attach them to the shoe, keeping them light, that sort of stuff.

Thoughts, ideas, previous results?

Unread 01-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Trajedy
DOOMBITCH

Unless you're planning to have them just to have them, or for personal shoots, I'm not sure it'd worth the effort. I think most indoor places have rules agains wearing skates indoors. I know Katsucon's hotel isn't allowing anyone to wear skates. (The theme of the masquerade is Jet Set/Air Gear-ish, so this was brought up) You'd have to check with the specific con you're planning on taking them to, but I'm pretty sure it's a universal rule of No Skating Indoors. You might have better luck modifying a pair of platform shoes to make it look like they have wheels, so that you could still wear them around the con. :3
Trajedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
ChrowX
Here to Help

Mmm.. not entirely true. Though alot of cons are often strictly in-doors there are always the outside photoshoots and even further than that, if it's a huge problem even for the outdoors the spokes on the 100mm wheels could easily be peace-bonded like a live-steel sword.

I say this mostly with Anime Central in mind. I know the area well enough and there's lots of room places both in and outside the con where slipping on a pair of rollerblades (even ones you made yourself) couldn't possibly be a huge issue.
At previous cons, weapons and props that didn't violate the cosplay policy for the con had to be approved by the security team and what they'd do is strap a blue zip-tie onto the weapon to show it's approved. If the possibility of rolling around is an issue the wheels could be zipped tied so they don't roll (as previously stated with the peace bonding thing)

I could go on for a bit longer, but you see my point. Having them isn't my problem, making them is.
Unread 01-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Jequila
Too busy

I've been pondering over making Agito's AT, regala and all, but I'm not really having much luck. My dad's pretty good with stuff like this, so I'll ask him and let you know if we come up with anything.
Jequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
ChrowX
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jequila View Post
I've been pondering over making Agito's AT, regala and all, but I'm not really having much luck. My dad's pretty good with stuff like this, so I'll ask him and let you know if we come up with anything.
Being able to piece together a cheap, effective and simple tutorial at the end of this would be nice.
The big problem involved are how do you rig up a wheel holder to a shoe and keep it on. If you're wearing these mock ATs you don't want to take one wrong step and have these things rip aapart and send a screw into your foot or something.
The secondary problem is where do you find the rest of the parts and how to prepare the shoe without having to tear them to shreds with various powertools.
Unread 01-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
PrincessYuni
Master Commisioner

I believe that if you combine the ideas allready stated you have come up with a wonderful idea.

If you can get your hands on a cheap pair of rollerblades (inline skates) and extra chunky platform shoes/boots you could take the wheelmounts off of the skates and put them onto the platform shoes/boots. The reason that the shoes/boots would have to be extra chuncky is for this next step.

Carefully carve out the bottom of the shoe/boot to make clearance for the 100mm wheel.

I think thats all I have for now, if someone tries this tell me how it works out.

Good Luck
Unread 01-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
Nachoman
Workmanship Nazi

Chrow X:
I would go for something similar to the suggestion already stated by Yuni-Hime, although I'd ratter use wood. By the way, if you are even asking around it means you aren't experienced, so better try making the wheels fixed. After all, it isn't precisely like you where cobbling up a home-made pullwagon.
Unread 01-27-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
ChrowX
Here to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
Chrow X:
I would go for something similar to the suggestion already stated by Yuni-Hime, although I'd ratter use wood. By the way, if you are even asking around it means you aren't experienced, so better try making the wheels fixed. After all, it isn't precisely like you where cobbling up a home-made pullwagon.
Asking simply means that you want to know what others may already know. It has nothing to do with expereince per se.
I asked because ven if I think I have the perfect plan in mind there are always other ways of approaching this sort of project that may be alot easier than, for instance, rigging together a wodden wheel holder onto a shoe then making it stationary and sturdy.

Thing is, though, Yuni's idea was already very similar to mine. I just didn't consider cutting up a pair of rollerblades because rollerblades don't come cheap for one, and chopping them up could leave me with a pile of useless parts.
Unread 01-28-2007, 03:06 AM   #9
Nachoman
Workmanship Nazi

Chrow X:
Let me bite my tongue. That's precisely why I recently posted my first topic in more than a year. Sorry; I'm acting like a jerk.
Unread 01-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #10
ChrowX
Here to Help

No harm done Nachoman. Sorry if I came off sounding a bit abrasive in that last post. It wasn't really intended.