Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-04-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Question Full-back Tattoo that'll STAY? (Fai from Tsubasa)

Aloha ^_^

Next year's big costume is about 75% certain to be Fai from Tsubasa!

Problem 1: He has that HUGE full-back pheonix tattoo on him. Because I love that thing to death, I'm altering his collared shirt to be backless so the tattoo shows. How would I get that thing on?
I've done several thread searches on the tattooing subject...

But it would likely take 4-5 sheets of temporary tattoo paper to get the job done and that's $25+ in itself. If I wore it more than once or if part of it messed up, I'd be in trouble ^_^;
Sharpies. While my cousin is an amazing artist, I'm not horribly comfortable having THAT much sharpie on my back. Heck, I know it's supposedly nontoxic and all, but still >.< That can't be good for your skin.

Problem 2: I'll be walking around with just the first layer shirt on sometimes, but 75% of the time there will be one or two coats on top of it. Any way to make... Whatever I use... not rub off too easily?

Possible solutions...
1. Use tattoo paper and just shrink the design. That's the last resort T_T It's just less... impressive.

2. Temporary Tattoo markers. I've seen these on eBay before... Anyone give these (or similar) a try?

Thanks! T______T

~Ari-chan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tsubasa Fai Tattoo.jpg (28.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tsubasa Fai Blue2.jpg (11.9 KB, 0 views)

Unread 02-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

THere are dozens of posts about what to do for tattoos. I give the same response every time. The only thing really worth using is Alcohol Activated Makeup. It will stay on for days if desired. I will not sweat off, it is safe (so is sharpie, but it comes right off with sweat (depending on body chemistry, etc)). You can get all you'll need for 7$ from http://www.fxwarehouse.info
Unread 02-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

The Kryolan Body Illustration Colors Singles?

That looks feasible... ^__________^
Have you ever used them before? (The example picture for the Tattoo Illustrator looks perfect but it's priceyyyyyyyy >.<)

~Ari-chan
Unread 02-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
agent_airline

Have you considered Henna? I know it comes in different colors and its pretty cheap for a kit, I've seen it at craft stores, the mall, Whole Foods...

Last summer my friend drew gorgeous wings on my back in henna and they lasted two weeks.
Unread 02-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

I've looked into henna as well, but from what I can muster...

A) It's very hard to get a black color
B) We'd be doing the tattoo the morning of the 2nd day or the night before so the entire process can't take more than an hour and a half or so >.<

~Ari-chan
Unread 02-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
agent_airline

True, it does take like an 8 hour commitment
Unread 02-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Whoa O______O

This kryolan stuff is sounding better by the minute XD

If that is the best option, anyone know of any good adhesive papers we could use to make the stencil?

(any more suggestions on tattoo options would be much appreciated as well >.<)

~Ari-chan
Unread 02-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

100% pure henna (which is the only kind you should use, for safety reasons) only stains red/orange and doesn't take very well on the back, because the darkness of the stain depends on how many layers of skin it's staining (more layers = darker stain). That's why you get a nice dark colour on hands and feet, because there are more layers of skin there compared to elsewhere on your body.

Any other 'colours' of henna have other things in the mix, some of which may not be safe. Never EVER use 'black henna' because it's toxic and can cause serious allergic reactions.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
Eriana-Chan
Daiski Kami-Sama!

Sorry, I was about to recommend henna as well. ><;;

Maybe you should search google for different tattooing techniques. I'm sure there is something that isn't too pricy and will still get the job done.
Eriana-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
verdatum

Yes, the body illustrations. I have a whole mess of them. They are absolutely fantastic, most especially for tattoo effects. And because Kryolan sells them as individual colors, for monochromatic tattoos, you can save a lot of money over the competitor's pallettes of colors.

Concerning stencils, if you go to a decent art store and ask for a product called acetate, that is what is generally used. A stencil, an airbrush and some AA makeup make short and easily repeatable work of a tattoo effect.
Unread 02-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #11
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Hey thanks! ^_______^ (Any pictures would be absolutely wonderful >.>)

I just bought a few sheets of the water slide tattoo paper to experiment with (and Train needs his Chronos XIII. Muahahaha).

So if that doesn't turn out, I'll get some of the alcohal activated stuff to play with.

~Ari-chan
Unread 02-05-2007, 03:47 AM   #12
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

if you didn't plan on wearing a coat over it, i'd definitely recommend kryolan aquacolor (can be applied using a paintbrush, for example) & finishing spray to make it more durable. but i think the fabric would eventually rub it off.

alcohol-activated make-up does sound good, but do keep in mind you're going to be rubbing your skin with almost pure alcohol - which is not much fun, i believe.
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
verdatum

oh it isn't bad at all. I mean yes, it ultrasucks around the eyes unless you are super careful. Otherwise, the alcohol is slightly drying to the skin, but I've not yet heard any complaints. Also I wouldn't apply it to broken or bruised skin, or open wounds, but that's all just common sense. I don't know any makeup that you should apply under those conditions.

I wish I had some photos demonstrating AA makeup. Actually, I really need to get a video up on youtube showing people just how rediculous strong it is and how easy it is to apply. That would save me a lot of explaination....Come to think of it, there is some demonstration of it by either the smoothon people, or by brickintheyard mold supply. Just youtube search on "gel 10 scar" and it should show briefly the use of Skin Illustrator makeup.
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:20 AM   #14
cactusmomma
Let's play!

Kryolan Body Illustration Colors Singles....can these be gotten at say..Michaels or somewhere? I'm in the same boat as phantomtheif, but really don't have time to order anything online.. if not, is there a decent substitute that can be left on relatively between 4-10 hours?
The thing about glitter is, if you get on you, be prepared to have it on you forever..cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies..like 'Damn, here comes the sun. flare up!' -Dimitri Martin
cactusmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #15
vampirate

Or, if you don't want to apply makeup every time you do this costume: You could make a shirt out of the same material used in dance and ice skating costumes to simulate a nude look and apply the design to that. I think I've heard of some X-2 Yuna cosplayers going this route even for the open front of her standard top. Here's what I found in my first search for a fabric that might work for something like that: http://www.spandexworld.com/catalog/...em.php?id=1618

I love playing with makeup just as much as the next person, but it can sure eat a lot of time during a convention when you could be running around having fun.
vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote