Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Unread 02-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
Hazel Chaz

Fairy Godfather Division

A number of people had complaints during this year's Anime Los Angeles, but their issues were not heard and corrected in a timely manner. To prevent this happening in 2008, I'm pleased to announce the formation of a roving ombudsmen/complaints department.

The working title for this team is the Fairy Godfather Division, in honor of a previous convention's department of the same name. The team may come up a better name later, in which case, they'll be called that.

Led by Jubei-chan, the team also includes Videl-chan, Squirrellyness, Gainax Boy and OokamiTsuki. They'll be doing silly things (possibly handing out ribbons or chocolates) and mingling. If you see any of them, tell them how your convention's turning out. If there's an unresolved complaint, even if you've reported it elsewhere, you can tell them.

They'll be able to report it straight up to the chair, and they'll notice if there's a pattern to any issues being reported. They won't be attached to any particular department, so there shouldn't be any particular bias.

Some of them are cosplayers, some are not; there's a possibility that they may come up with some kind of matching costume motif to wear at one point during the convention. (See also "doing silly things" above.)
April: Cosplay Sewing Circle (2014-04-15); Anime Conji (starts 2014-04-18)
May: Baycon (starts 2014-05-23)

Last edited by Hazel Chaz : 02-06-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Hazel Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Maguma
Blazing Through Tommorrow

This sounds like a grand Idea. with people who are friends of ours or atleast part of the forums on the staff it makes it more comfortable for us to talk to them about these situations. and with the lack of a particular department to defend or bias complaints every side of the story is explained! wonderfully done Chaz man!
Genderbend Bianca | Sasahara Kun | Gijinka Ampharos | Gijinka Ulgamoth | Hero of Time | Hatsune Mikuo

Be sure to sign up for ALA Socal Cosplay Chess!!! Click here!!!
Come check out Socal Cosplay Chess on Facebook!!! Click here!!!
Maguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Jubei-chan
Bon Bons Not Included

Hi Everyone. I'll be heading up the team of Fairy Godfathers. YAY!!! And I really hope that the 5 of us help make your con a little less stressful, a little more fun-er. I feel our main duty to the con goers is to be a go-between. If you feel intimidated to approach a staffer, or you just want to point out people or circumstances of the con that are making you uncomfortable ... you can come talk to any of us. Each one of us has been involved in ALA since the beginning and we love this convention. We really hope we can help you feel the same way again. Because even through all the bad points of the hassle-ing and such, there were way more high points of the con than low.

1. Awesome Masquerade!!! AWESOME!!!
2. Svetlana Chmakova! (Sorry, I'm a DramaCon fangirl)
3. A Game Room with no Rival! >_<
4. A Program Guide in the freebies! (I know some of you have been to the con without one -_-,,,)
5. A staff that is ready and willing to accept responsibility for letting you down and is vowing to make it better.

etc ...

Anyways ... I ramble. I have a lot of hope that this new team of fairy godfathers (the name is sticking Chaz) will be a good addition to ALA.

Delicioso Chanclas
Jubei-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Christophe
Christophe - Chris Tang

Sounds like a solid plan and a commitment to improving things for 2008. If all goes well maybe these positive actions can extend to other cons as well. Looking forward to next year!
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

Hello! Fairy Godfather (father?!) reporting for duty! Yes, if you're having any problems (which you hopefully won't), just come find one of us and we'll do our best to fix it! Or, just come and hang out for the heck of it!

Hopefully this new division will be helpful.
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
Maguma

To be honest this sounds like something i'd be willing to do. I'll be going all three days as it is thanks to my AMV contest winnings, can i get more info about joinin this division???
Genderbend Bianca | Sasahara Kun | Gijinka Ampharos | Gijinka Ulgamoth | Hero of Time | Hatsune Mikuo

Unread 02-06-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
Pretty Sammy
5th Squad Captain

Wow! This sounds like a GREAT idea. It really adds to the "fan-friendly-fun" idea!

(Can't wait to see you Ookami! X3 Fairy Godfather Supreme you shall be!)

Conventions for 2011:
Anime Los Angeles '11
Anime Conji 11'
Fanime '11
Kintoki-Con '11
AM2 '11
San Diego Comic-Con '11

Proud Half of "We're Not Twins Cosplay"

Pretty Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
daoutlaw
9.8s until your despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubei-chan View Post
Hi Everyone. I'll be heading up the team of Fairy Godfathers. YAY!!!
So that makes you Jorgen Von Strangle of this division?

*mental image*

....Awesome!

-地獄

Plastic Ronins:
Your online source for action figures, movies, Conventions, and much more!
daoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #9
Hazel Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maguma View Post
To be honest this sounds like something i'd be willing to do. I'll be going all three days as it is thanks to my AMV contest winnings, can i get more info about joinin this division???
I'm delighted and surprised that you're volunteering; thank you for that. I know you had a number of complaints, and if I'd been thinking ahead I probably would have made one of the five be someone who had a bad experience this year because you or they would be that much more sensitive to how things go next year. Your stepping up really means a lot to me.

But I didn't think of it before selecting these five -- two well-liked ladies, one jailbait girl, one less well-known but sparkly artist, and one more controversial figure, almost all of them costumers -- and I think five's plenty for this kind of team. I do know that Jubei-chan and company are definitely interested in hearing your ideas for what they might do, and your comments during the convention -- so don't be shy about expressing your opinion!

I'm afraid "Division" is a misleadingly-grand name, by the way. It's really a Department, but one that reports directly to the chair. In a division-structured convention, most department heads report to division heads, and the divisions report to the chair. This way the chair doesn't have to directly oversee every single individual department and make sure they're all on track and ontime.
April: Cosplay Sewing Circle (2014-04-15); Anime Conji (starts 2014-04-18)
May: Baycon (starts 2014-05-23)
Hazel Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
Jubei-chan
Bon Bons Not Included

Thanks Chaz.

Yes. I'm excited to hear that there is interest in helping out the team. And I encourage people with ideas or would just like to keep up with what we are planning ... to go to the ALA forums and watch our progress. We'd love to hear your ideas and opinions of what we'd like to set up. ^_^

Also, the team does have members that had some bad experiences at the past ALA. I speak for myself on that one. So do not think that we blindly love ALA. We want to see it improve and we will do it by passing out oodles of Pocky and See's Candy if we must! ^_^ Chocolate is my and your friend!

Anyways ... thanks for showing interest.

Delicioso Chanclas
Jubei-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #11
Maguma

any time! but yea I definately would love to help out any way I can, i'll be checking the ALA forums each day for updates and hopefully chaz you got my PM about other volunteer options.

Unread 02-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
DivineSage
Formerly OokamiTsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Chaz View Post
one jailbait girl
Ha, my reputation precedes me. But yes, I am the "jailbait girl". So... I guess I'm the member of the division that attracts the younger attendees so they won't be afraid to approach or something?

Anyway, we're going to have to talk about this candy thing. If FER is in charge of the candy, DOOM will befall the world!

Also, we should make sure that people know who we are and what we look like going in to the con, or at least have big shiny signs with us at all times. Something like that.
DivineSage is offline   Reply With Quote