Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 08-17-2002, 11:32 PM   #1
Nyoko
...Does not exsist...

How to make the white part of eye....

How can I make the white part of eye red without exspensive contacts??.... I thought someone a long time ago said there was some die like thing.... i don't know...

Unread 08-18-2002, 12:38 AM   #2
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Ahhh, I don't think red dye would be a good idea, not only would it make the white part of your eyes red, but you'd have a red hue over everything too.

I'd highly recommend going to an eye doctor and asking about contacts that makes your entire eyeball red. You don't want a cheap set that would give you eye problems for the rest of your life. Sometimes it's just better to go the expensive route. :/
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2002, 12:41 AM   #3
Nyoko
...Does not exsist...

can't go the expensive route no money.....spent $250 on the costume as it is....

And I ment buy die an eye die, do they even make something like that?? kinda like what they use in movies??
Unread 08-18-2002, 12:47 AM   #4
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

Well I watch the show "The Invisible Man" on SciFi channel. And the main character often has black eyeballs. But if he ever looks to the side or something, you can definatly see that they are just oversized contacts. The whites still show sometimes.

I very much doubt that there is eye dye, as your eye lids actively cleans your eyeball to make sure that there isn't any bad stuff on it. :) They were probably done with CG or something, that's definatly hard to do at a convention. ;)

I think you'll have to go the contacts route. I dunno, I got regular contacts for my costume (Squall doesn't look quite right with glasses ;) and it is your vision, you wouldn't wanna mess with that.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2002, 01:29 AM   #5
Nyoko
...Does not exsist...

so basicly I got to go spend $300 that I don't have on contacts.......
Unread 08-18-2002, 06:47 AM   #6
moo
I shall wake up Sensei.

You're willing to risk eye damage or even blindness just to save a few hundred bucks? If it were me and I'm short on cash, I'd just go without. Mucking with dye on hair is ok, as hair is a renewable resource and have no nerve endings. Eyeballs are neither.
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2002, 08:12 AM   #7
Nietsche
Have a SUPER good time!

Ya know totally red contacts don't have to be that expensive....
I get my prescription coloured lenses for £10 a pair (about $15)

I suggest you go affordable but reputable....search around some more

Some small info on pandas- Eats, shoots and leaves!
(this is an excellent book btw)
The difference a little punctuation makes!
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2002, 04:08 PM   #8
Kusanagi
Pimp of the Caribbean

Jim Carrey used contacts that turned his entire eyeball yellow for "The Grinch." Halfway through the shooting the doctor made him take them out because of the health risk, so they CGed in the eye color for the rest of production.

There's definantly one way to make your eyes red, but you might get kicked out of the con... ^_^ j/k

"Superman is great. He can spout off something about quantum physics, fly three times around a tree in Guam, and a black hole opens and swallows up the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse." - Pretearwink
Kusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2002, 10:10 PM   #9
Nyoko
...Does not exsist...

$15 o.O how is that posabole..... here I have to pay $150 just for the eye exsame then $150 for the contacts.....

well I was just saying that someone once told me that you could get a eye color thing, I guess its not a die, mabye more like an eye drop. people arould here use it for vampire costumes......
Unread 08-19-2002, 09:51 AM   #10
HuongStar

No such thing...your eye would naturally flush out any foreign substance.

You can get a red schlera lense but they are EXTREMELY uncomfortable since they cover the entire eye and are usually at least $100.
Unread 08-23-2002, 07:43 PM   #11
Integral

Yeah.. the sclera lenses are going to be your only real route for making the entire eyeball appear red... and they're extremely expensive.

On a site note:

My eye exams only cost about 35 bucks, and I don't have insurance/coverage for that sort of thing. You might want to find a different eye doctor.

Also- Colored lenses are pretty cheap if you don't need prescription lenses, and if you only need regular contacts& not sclera lenses. That's probably why Nyoko's were so cheap.
Unread 08-26-2002, 05:57 PM   #12
Nyoko
...Does not exsist...

Quote:
Originally posted by Integral
My eye exams only cost about 35 bucks, and I don't have insurance/coverage for that sort of thing. You might want to find a different eye doctor.
and you whent where to get you eye exams!?! 35, if only I when everywhere, Hour eye wants $120 for the eye exam, Lenscracfters contacts department wants $160, the other place at the mall around here wants $140....
Unread 08-26-2002, 08:41 PM   #13
Ukayoru no Chou
Visually Oriented Culture

Erk.. I reallyneed to go shop around for some... I hsould be lucky sice idont need prescription ones ...[ or so I think ...>>; ]
but I do need quite few pairr...uuuhhh...

*gets off lazy but*
Unread 08-28-2002, 12:02 PM   #14
Zendragon

Lenses
Considering that it sounds like you don't wear presription lenses, you may be able to talk to a doctor to just do a fitting...mine ran $25 for just the lens fitting

If you want the whole eye covered than it will cost you...

The least expensive route was when I got a pair of disposable lenses and they were nice enough to send them out to have them tinted red, ran about $10 bucks. That was as Lens Crafters/Eye Exam 2000 Going that route wasn't great though, it looked more like I had huge black pupils and a red ring around them...but what do you expect for $10

Wild Eyes can be found online for about $100, and while you don't need a presription, you should have a lens fitting so you know what size to get.

Zen
Zendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 10:06 PM   #15
Nyoko
...Does not exsist...

looked, I cant get the fitting without paying the $150 the people aroud here are stubern jacks...