Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > San Diego Comic Con

Unread 02-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Greyback

Question to the cosplayers at SDCC

This is my first post at Cosplay. I plan to attend SDCC this summer for the first time. Although I'm not a cosplayer myself I hope to shoot lots and lots of photos of everyone parading in excellent costumes! I want to ask whether there's like a 'rule' of something before people go trigger happy on all you players with their cameras. I mean, before I would take a pic of anyone, I guess I would ask them first, you know being polite and all. Seems only fair.
Or is it like complete random madness and people take your pic constantly without asking you? Does it bug you or don't you mind? Any views on this may be helpful! I'm talking about the cosplayers that are at the con, not specific events like the maskerade and such.
Looking forward to SDCC!
Greyback is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
ZiggyB
The Fuzz

It happens both ways. A lot of people will just take pictures of cosplayers/costumers as they are walking around with no warning.

But it is more polite if you ask people for their photo. Also it gives them the chance to pose for you as many costumers will have a pose ready for photographers.

So I would suggest you ask before taking the photo.
ZiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

You have the right idea. Asking is always a good idea if you are able and they are not already posed. It's very possible that they are on their way to something and are on a time frame of some sort, and it's hard enough to get through the SDCC crowds as it is without the costume-pose stops. That, and not being posed kind of ruins the effect sometimes.

If they are already posed and photos are in progress, then I would say it's safe to snap, as they are not standing there looking pretty for nothing!

If for some reason you snapshot somebody without them noticing (hey, we all know sometimes the best shots come without warnings to the subject), see if you can't flag them down and let them know you go their photo, perhaps even showing it to the subject so they can see the result if it's good. Carrying a simple business card where they might be able to get a copy somehow (posted online, etc.) is an appreciated courtesy, as many can't carry a camera about, and often the photography of others is the only way to see how a costume looked from the viewer's side.

(I can't tell you HOW many times I've been photographed by people that I really wish I could have seen the end results!)

All else fails, don't post or keep bad shots. Nothing stinks more for people than to find a photo of them online, only to discover that they were making a bad expression or were caught at a horrid angle unawares.

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
maggifan
maggifan

well it would be more polite to ask for a picture first.....it bother me once when i was at comic-con and i was fixing my cosplay(my skirt) and a guy just came from the nowhere and took me a picture.....the flash almost blind me and i don't think it turn out such a good picture T_T;
maggifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Greyback

Thank you for responding!
Yes, I see some valid points here, like the cosplayer him or herself wanting to get a copy of the picture. Thank you for the suggestion of the business card Dany, that's a very good idea. As for bad photos, that's very understandable. I can only speak for myself but I intend to make them as great looking as possible. All the effort can be wasted with a bad pic, so they won't be kept
Maggifan- that's the thing I really want to avoid. I love to take shots of people but not at times when it's inconvienient for them. I assumed stuff like that would happen once in a while, it good to hear it doesn't happen too often.
Thanks all for your comments again (including Ziggy B! , maybe I'll snap you this summer!
Unread 02-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
linkluver6
Zelda fan for life!!!

alrighty then I will be looking for you to snap me pretty perfect hee hee

FF7
Gintama
linkluver6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Rikku Dattebayo

actually, it's fine either way. i just tend to laugh when there's a random passerby that takes a picture of me. XD

then again, it's cute the ask.

hehe... look for me! RIKKU DATTEBAYO!! and ask!
i'm going all 4 days and preview night like every year.
Rikku Dattebayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
Greyback

linkluver6 - who knows, maybe I'll run into you!
I'll be there as Greyback as well!

Rikku Dattebayo - I should be there for all 4 days and the preview night as well I see Yuna is in your collection too! I make fan arts in my spare time and I've set myself this silly goal of trying to snap the characters in Cosplay I've drawn so far. May be fun to do I did Yuna, Kimahri and Wakka among others so here's hoping ^_^
Don't worry I'll ask first!
Unread 03-08-2007, 03:16 AM   #9
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Here's another question for cosplayers who go to SDCC:

"How many of you feel like a Disneyland-type (or other theme-park if you don't like Disney) mascot when you're in costume?" When I ask that, it means does your costume seem to attract the crowds of people who want to pose with you for pictures? Like when someone cosplays as say, Darth Vader, or Jack Sparrow, lots of people rush up to them to take their pictures with them. Does this happen to you in your costume?

SDCC (and WonderCon) attendees seem to be different from anime cons, because I've noticed that most of those who attend range from little kids to teens, all the way to families with baby-strollers. And most of them are not cosplayers but simply fans. And then there are those that just want to take pictures with that cosplayer, even though he/she may not know what the person is cosplaying from..

From a photographer's POV, it's harder at these cons to try and get pictures of the cosplayers by themselves, since if there's a large crowd of people taking pictures, and after one kid wants to pose with say, a Lara Croft cosplayer, then another one will jump in, and then another. It's definitely not as bad as it is at AX or another anime convention..
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
questionablekri
Mystic Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post

"How many of you feel like a Disneyland-type (or other theme-park if you don't like Disney) mascot when you're in costume?" When I ask that, it means does your costume seem to attract the crowds of people who want to pose with you for pictures? Like when someone cosplays as say, Darth Vader, or Jack Sparrow, lots of people rush up to them to take their pictures with them. Does this happen to you in your costume?
On Sunday last year when I wore my Sophie (from Howl's Moving Castle) costume I definetely felt like that. I remember for posing with these little girls for a picture. I had kneeled down in this semi-awkward position with my scarecrow for a picture. It wouldn't have been bad for a single picture..but in the second that the girls' father snapped his shot...about 15 other people with cameras showed up. And I didn't have a change to change my pose so I was stuck in a position where I proceeded to get more and more uncomfortable. It was maybe only a minute or two but it felt like forever >.< Then there were the groups of people who ran up to me every other hallway. I have to admit though it was pretty fun. The only thing that sucks is not being able to change the pose...because I always get stuck in the most awkward positions.
Anastasia: Anastasia (gold dress)-10%
questionablekri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
Lyuba-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
Here's another question for cosplayers who go to SDCC:

SDCC (and WonderCon) attendees seem to be different from anime cons, because I've noticed that most of those who attend range from little kids to teens, all the way to families with baby-strollers. And most of them are not cosplayers but simply fans. And then there are those that just want to take pictures with that cosplayer, even though he/she may not know what the person is cosplaying from..

From a photographer's POV, it's harder at these cons to try and get pictures of the cosplayers by themselves, since if there's a large crowd of people taking pictures, and after one kid wants to pose with say, a Lara Croft cosplayer, then another one will jump in, and then another. It's definitely not as bad as it is at AX or another anime convention..
Yeah, I completely and totally feel like it! And you even seen it happening! :P But at the same time, I enjoy posing, and taking pictures with people, so for most part it's ok. The only time it's gets annoying is when I'm trying to eat, or talking, or OBVIOUSLY doing something and people keep coming and asking to take a photo.
Unread 03-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
Greyback

"SDCC (and WonderCon) attendees seem to be different from anime cons, because I've noticed that most of those who attend range from little kids to teens, all the way to families with baby-strollers. And most of them are not cosplayers but simply fans. "

Interesting
I initially thought it was the reason why people did cosplay, because they were a fan of the character. Cosplay being Japanese in origin (guessing here ^_^; ), I understand that there's a difference between anime cosplay fans and more westerns cosplayers (who portray Darth Vader or Jack Sparrow or something). I have to admit there'll be a lot of anime costumes I won't recognise (unless it's related to Square Enix and Final Fantasy ) but maybe it's just that Western characters are more recognisable amongst the (western) crowd at those cons. Hence you'll attract all the fans who want to check out the movie character with their own eyes As an outsider looking in on the whole thing, I think anime cosplay is more targeted at cosplay fans itself. Does this make sense?
Unread 03-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyback View Post
"SDCC (and WonderCon) attendees seem to be different from anime cons, because I've noticed that most of those who attend range from little kids to teens, all the way to families with baby-strollers. And most of them are not cosplayers but simply fans. "

Interesting
I initially thought it was the reason why people did cosplay, because they were a fan of the character. Cosplay being Japanese in origin (guessing here ^_^; ), I understand that there's a difference between anime cosplay fans and more westerns cosplayers (who portray Darth Vader or Jack Sparrow or something). I have to admit there'll be a lot of anime costumes I won't recognise (unless it's related to Square Enix and Final Fantasy ) but maybe it's just that Western characters are more recognisable amongst the (western) crowd at those cons. Hence you'll attract all the fans who want to check out the movie character with their own eyes As an outsider looking in on the whole thing, I think anime cosplay is more targeted at cosplay fans itself. Does this make sense?
I was referring to the majority of fans who attend comic-book cons like SDCC, who aren't cosplayers and are just there to see the sights and have a good time. Con attendees may not recognize the characters' costume(s), but still rush up and pose with them for pictures. This makes it hard for the cosplayers, because there are times when they're trying to go somewhere, and they'll have only moved a couple of feet before being stopped for pictures again.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
piwackit
The Boozle

SDCC seems to attract lots of families who don't necessarily cosplay.
They will be the ones who will get their kid to snap a photo with the most recognizable character. Yes, it's hard to move more than 5 feet when everyone seems to want a picture w/you. Yes, it can be very Disneylike in that respect. (I always chased Tigger when I was little )

As to photos: asking is good, but sometimes you've just got to take it from a distance when things are crazy busy. The biz card is a great idea, like Dany said, sometimes that's the only way some people have photos of their outfits.
As good place to snap some would be for the people waiting in line for the Masquerade on Saturday.

Also a quick FYI for everyone here & please pass this on:
I was just asked to pass this on for anyone planning on attending.
SDCC will officially be LIMITING the number of badges for Saturday. Four-day memberships will also be limited. With online purchased available, they have decided that this is the best way to go, since last year was overcrowded. Once they sell out that's it.
piwackit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
Rikku Dattebayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piwackit View Post
SDCC seems to attract lots of families who don't necessarily cosplay.
They will be the ones who will get their kid to snap a photo with the most recognizable character. Yes, it's hard to move more than 5 feet when everyone seems to want a picture w/you. Yes, it can be very Disneylike in that respect. (I always chased Tigger when I was little )

As to photos: asking is good, but sometimes you've just got to take it from a distance when things are crazy busy. The biz card is a great idea, like Dany said, sometimes that's the only way some people have photos of their outfits.
As good place to snap some would be for the people waiting in line for the Masquerade on Saturday.

Also a quick FYI for everyone here & please pass this on:
I was just asked to pass this on for anyone planning on attending.
SDCC will officially be LIMITING the number of badges for Saturday. Four-day memberships will also be limited. With online purchased available, they have decided that this is the best way to go, since last year was overcrowded. Once they sell out that's it.
A WHAAAAAT?!?!!! NO WAY!!
Rikku Dattebayo is offline   Reply With Quote