Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Manga Chat

Unread 04-08-2003, 02:32 AM   #1
Something Lulu
ROCK FACTS

The reading of manga

This is going to seem a little odd, but...does anyone else savor the manga reading experience?

Let me explain. First of all, manga is expensive when compared to the time it takes to read it. I pay $7 a volume, and I get maybe one or two hours of reading time per manga volume, maximum. For $7 I can get a thick novel that will keep me occupied for a good week. Secondly, my living situation is such that my boyfriend spends most of his time here. For some reason whenever he sees me reading he interrupts me or disturbs me in some way, whether it's to order food or find a video game. Since manga is also visual, and the plotlines are so involved (and the length of each volume so short), I really like to take my time with them, uninterrupted. So I'll actually wait to read whatever new manga I get until I have a few hours of free time when I know I'll be alone in the house. Since there's at least a month in between releases, I also like to re-read the last volume a little to refresh my memory. I know this probably sounds very strange, but considering that reading is something I really enjoy and I don't have a lot of time for anymore, I don't think it's too weird. ^_^

Does anyone else have any kind of reading habits when it comes to manga? Do you zip through it or take your time? Seeing as it's 3:30 in the morning here I'm spaced out enough to be thinking about this stuff. ^_^ (Maybe I shouldn't start threads at this hour...lol)

Unread 04-08-2003, 03:31 AM   #2
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

You aren't weird. :P

If I have enough other volumes to read, I go pretty fast.. But if I have the time, I tend to sit there and stare at the art.. especially with things by CLAMP and so on.. I dunno. ^_^; I remember reading an early volume of X in about an hour, and was all.. o.O;; ..from there I decided to be more careful with them and pay more attention to the art. ^^;

I think I repeated myself there. X_x; I'm about to go to bed.. narf. I'm spaced out, too. u.u

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
HuongStar

I zip through them but I will always re-read those novels until the next installment comes out. I only wish I didn't read so fast! The next Blade of the Immortal doesn't come out for awhile. ;_;
Unread 04-08-2003, 11:53 AM   #4
Babbit_Chan
Sarcasmic

I read them fast the first time and later on re-read them till I fall asleep. Ranma still makes me laugh after so many years.
Babbit_Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2003, 12:13 AM   #5
Makoto
double-one-eight

When I was little and used to read American comics, I'd try to stretch them out for as long as I could... 24 pages was so hard to make last for more than one sitting.

But for manga, it really depends on the genre for me, and how long I've been following it. As Flame of Recca neared its end, I could devour a volume in half an hour. It was a basic shounen series with simple language, lots of action, and a highly addictive plot. XD Normally, a volume of 3x3 Eyes would take me quite a while, since the language was often difficult for me in that one... but once I got the last two volumes in my hand, I was through them ridiculously fast. It was like crack. ^_^ I had to go back and read them again to catch it all.

But for the Ladies Comic works that make up most of my collection, I prefer to curl up in a chair and read slowly, so I don't miss any of the nuances in the dialogue. A good volume of short stories from Koide Mieko can take me a week to read. But I'll happily go back and re-read again and again for a story that I loved. My copies of Love Mode are nearly worn out... ;^_^
Makoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2003, 12:56 AM   #6
Miroku
To the Golden Land!

Hmm, this is kinda a gripe on my part. I refuse to read manga more than one chapter a day in graphic novel format. I dont think anyone should read an entire graphic novel in one sitting. I know some people dont have time, but reading one chapter each day is less time than an entire novel at once. And I also like the suspense. I like thinking all day long, "Hmm, whats going to happen next?" Same with books. Same with anime. If an anime dvd has two, three or four, episodes, I will watch one a week. And for the same reasons. Suspense. I also like to fully appreciate each chapter or episode thoroughly before I move on. But that is just me I guess.
Miroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2003, 01:02 AM   #7
Widow
Tsar of Tokyo

Reading through Basara was the same. The nearer to the last book I came, the slower I read, and the more often I'd put my books aside. Anything to delay getting to that final chapter and coming to the end of Sarasa and Shuri's adventures! I would even lock my cats out of the room while reading it, to keep them from pawing and scratching me for attention while I absorbed every detail.

;_; Sadly, eventually, try as I did, I still came to the end. It was a great ending, but it was like saying goodbye to my best friends.

You're not alone! ^_^
buried. Roots?

Everybody has roots."
-W.C. Williams
Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2003, 01:20 AM   #8
Something Lulu
ROCK FACTS

Quote:
Originally posted by Miroku
Hmm, this is kinda a gripe on my part. I refuse to read manga more than one chapter a day in graphic novel format. I dont think anyone should read an entire graphic novel in one sitting. I know some people dont have time, but reading one chapter each day is less time than an entire novel at once. And I also like the suspense. I like thinking all day long, "Hmm, whats going to happen next?"
Not a bad idea. I think I would probably do that if it weren't so rare for me to have a few hours of peace and quiet in my house. So the best I can manage is to read very slowly and really absorb the artwork.

But it's nice to know I'm not the only person who thinks like this. ^_^
Unread 04-09-2003, 01:20 AM   #9
Miroku
To the Golden Land!

Quote:
I would even lock my cats out of the room while reading it, to keep them from pawing and scratching me for attention while I absorbed every detail
Ha ha, cute. Those sound like some attention lovin cats. Good to know Im not the only one who likes to draw out a story!
Miroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2003, 03:50 PM   #10
yayahan
YayaHan.com

I have always been a fast reader when it comes to a manga that sucks me in. I once stayed up a whole night to read the entire series of Saitou Chiho's "Kanon", unable to put it down. And the next day I started reading it again o_x...
Come to think about it, I'm this way with just about every reading material ^^;;;.
Unread 04-09-2003, 04:01 PM   #11
Something Lulu
ROCK FACTS

I read regular books fast because I'm anxious to see what happens next, but mangas are just so short! It kind of makes me glad that Tokyopop puts them out no sooner than once a month, because it helps to draw them out.
Something Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2003, 10:40 PM   #12
JacksUsername
Palahniuk fanatic

Yeah, I'm quick and slow at the same time. For example, when i got Paradise Kiss, I only got the first volume and read it really fast....but then refused to buy the second volume for a while....(this is recently so the first three were out) that way I would make sure to go back to the first one at least a couple more times and absorb it....so although I zoom through it, I draw out the story,...if that makes sense anyway.
Unread 04-10-2003, 03:13 PM   #13
rei_hino
A Danger to Society

ya, thats true. Like fushigi yuugi costs like around 15-17$ around here and i finish it pretty fast but i dont have any money to buy the next one. I do like reading them though, even though they go by pretty fast. like planet ladder #1 mostly has more pictures than words so i read that one pretty fast
rei_hino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 07:33 PM   #14
Velvy

I have 2 ways, depending on how much time I have.

1). I read the entire manga, lying face down in my bed and sometimes switching (because laying down with all support on my elbows starts to get a little achy ^_^; ) and I read it all there in 1 hr to 2.

2). What I'm doing now, which is I keep the mangas by my bedside and I read a little bit each night. It's a tedious process, but it fits with my sometimes-busy (especially now) schedule.

I feel bad though ^_^; Because I do have thick novels that I've bought (Black Boy, A Prayer For Owen Meany, My Name Is Asher Lev, Dangerous Angels, Blood and Chocolate, the narnia chronicles, and the Hitchhiker's Guide chronicles) that I haven't read, and it's in my way of thinking that mangas have somewhat replaced that.
Unread 04-10-2003, 08:01 PM   #15
Something Lulu
ROCK FACTS

Dangerous Angels is really good! But read one novel at a time, it's nice like that. The language in it is gorgeous, like eating sweet candy with your brain.

I can't read a little at a time because by the time I get back to it I forget what's happening lol.
Something Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote