Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Fullmetal Alchemist

Unread 02-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
The Alchemist

Fullmetal Alchemist Edward Elric costume help

Hi this is my first time cosplaying and im wanting to dress up as Ed :P Im wondering if anyone could give me some tips, links, exc... to help me with this. I found a really cool place to make the automail arm.

http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_automail2.html

people say its over done but im wanting to make my first cosplay a good one :P so ya any help what so ever would be awasome

thanks in advance

Alchemist
The Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
The*Fallen*One*
Cosplay Crazy

That is the exact same pattern that I am going to be using to make my own Automail Arm. But instead of her Plastic sheeting and foam technique used in the tutorial, I will be using aluminum sheeting (only $17.99 for a 100' roll at Home Depot). Due to the fact that it is silver to begin with, that will save time worrying about the paint job adhering to the plastic, or even how it might scrape away with use. Any scuffs can be polished out, or left in to give it the look of being used the way Ed abuses his automail.

I also suggest looking at the first link on that page, to janchan's site. He has some excellent modifications to the pattern, as well as some high-res images of the finished product, plus a pattern for Ed's coat.

Good luck in the construction, and take your time doing it. The worst thing you can do for a project like this is to rush it. Plus for it being your first cosplay, you want to do as much as you can to make it look the part. Even if all you have time for is the arm, you can always nix the coat for your cosplay and go wearing a black shirt, showing off your automail.

Upcoming Cosplays:

SOUL LARP 2010: Nyanne - Male Mithra Dragoon

Otakuthon 2010:
Fri: Nyanne
Sat: Nyanne
Sun: Edward Elric (FMA)

Future Cosplays:
Shugo - .hack//
Steampunk Gunner
TRON Sora
The*Fallen*One* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Kaits
Prop lover

ooh, same pattern/tutorial I'm using for my brother's arm. It's coming out great so far. I found Styrene at a local hobbie shop and am using Silver lamei(sp?) instead of the vinyl.

Good luck on your project!

If you have a video of Haruhi and some friends doing Hare Hare Yukai at SakuraCon 09, let me know! <3 <3 <3
-----------------------
Currently working on:
Spearow - Pokemon Gijinka
Togetic - Pokemon Gijinka
Kaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
AbbytehAWESOME
your local stoner Allen

Wonderflex. Because Wonderflex is GODLY> Just be sure to buy some bondo or the little threads in it will show up. (like in duct tape, y'know?)
Nan Desu Kan: Denver

Currently Working on...
D. Gray-man: Allen, third uniform plus Crown Clown Omega and sword! (for Anime Wasabi)
uniform - 75%
sword - 50%
mask - 80%

ARG PROGRESSSSSS
AbbytehAWESOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
meowl

I used Janchan's patterns and AA's tutorial for Edobeans Automail. I used craft foam sealed with watered down white glue before painting. Connecting the shoulder was difficult. I also changed the fingertips for a rounder finish. The hand did not fit right, so it was rebuilt on the fly with duct tape! Still looks good.
Good Luck!