Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 03-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
NetBelleAnie
Lazy Ass

Mehron vs Ben Nye vs Kryolan

Ben Nye, Mehron and Kyrolan seem to be the most common of theatrical makeups available, so which is honestly better?
I know Mehron usually costs less than Ben Nye, and that all three brands have basically the same products, but which is better? Should one spend the extra money for "top of the line" Ben Nye, or what?
NetBelleAnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

I keep on thinking about this question. And I keep on not having a preference. I use each and every one of them. Usually I select depending on what the supplier has available. I do wish the other companies would start manufacturing a good Alcohol Activated Makeup.

There are also a few other companies, but they are much more professionally oriented, and harder to find complete inventories online. For example RCMA and Joe Blasco.
Unread 03-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
NetBelleAnie
Lazy Ass

For now I'll stick with Mehron's Starblend cake makeup and Barrier seal. I'll let people know how it works for me.
NetBelleAnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
allthatsgeek
MINE.

Personally I am a fan of Ben Nye, I use Ben Bye for my kankuro makeup and it stays on pretty durn well.
AnimatedPoison: One for each weeaboo who has died at his hands.
Yeah, that's how I roll
allthatsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I've used all three and vastly prefer Kryolan. As far as the water-based makeups are concerned, I've found the Kryolan Aquacolor to be the most smooth and long-wearing; I found Ben Nye tended to flake off and Mehron was a bit powdery.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I've never used Ben Nye, but I generally prefer Kryolan to Mehron. It's only by a small margin, though.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, that’s horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, it’s nothing. It’s just bibble-babble. It’s like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Romann
Fantastic Explosion

Depends on what you are using it for. When it comes to eye-shadow/make-up, I go Ben Nye all the way. It shows up BRILLIANTLY.

I'm unfamiliar with their full coverage make-up, however.
Unread 03-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #8
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Verdatum: I actually just found Kryolan Alcohol Activated makeup at fxwarehouse. Just to let you know... In case you didn't. Which you probably did. :P

I myself have never used any of the aforementioned products. *meep* Haven't had the need for any heavy-duty makeup in the past. Though, I shall in the very near future, and woof! So many options... Finding the right one is turning out to be a rather daunting task...
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

.x.x.x. Costume journal, tutorials, and general wackiness here .x.x.x.

Last edited by Pixie of Death : 03-07-2007 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Typo!
Pixie of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
verdatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie of Death View Post
Verdatum: I actually just found Kryolan Alcohol Activated makeup at fxwarehouse. Just to let you know... In case you didn't. Which you probably did. :P

I myself have never used any of the aforementioned products. *meep* Haven't had the need for any heavy-duty makeup in the past. Though, I shall in the very near future, and woof! So many options... Finding the right one is turning out to be a rather daunting task...
Unfortunately, I just confirmed from fxwarehouse's owner that she'll be discontinuing her stock of the Kryolan AA Makeup. This is a bummer, as not many other places stock it, and it's one of the few AA Makeups that is sold by the individual color, and for cosplay or fantasy makeup, one or two colors is usually all that's needed. The good news is that their remaining colors are being sold HELLA CHEAP. They only have a couple colors left, but 3$ per pallet is a REDICULOUS good price. Even if it's not the color you need, I suggest people buy some random color just to test it and see how suberb AA makeup is.
Unread 03-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Awww, bummer indeed! I saw earlier that white was out of stock, and I was hoping they would be getting more in, as the blue they have is a bit darker than what I was looking for. But for that price, I think I may just snag the blue anyway and see if I can find the white elsewhere. If I can't find Kryolan's white elsewhere, would it be possible to mix brands?

Side note: Immense thanks for all the info! The AA makeup seems to be the answer to one of my biggest costuming dilemas, and I'm not sure I would ever have found it without your--albeit, indirect--assistance. *bows before your immense and impressive knowledge*
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

Unread 03-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #11
verdatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie of Death View Post
Awww, bummer indeed! I saw earlier that white was out of stock, and I was hoping they would be getting more in, as the blue they have is a bit darker than what I was looking for. But for that price, I think I may just snag the blue anyway and see if I can find the white elsewhere. If I can't find Kryolan's white elsewhere, would it be possible to mix brands?
Actually, that blue was the first color of AA makeup I tried. It is indeed quite dark. At the moment, I have 3 of the Kryolan colors, and Matthew Mungle's FX pallet. I'll very likely be purchasing some Duracolor by Matthew Davies some point before Otakon 07. From Everything I can tell, there should be no trouble in mixing Colors. There is some small differences in quality between them (The Kryolan dries ever-so-slightly tacky on my skin, whereas the Matthew Mungle does not, and I've been assured that the skin illutrator does not either).

I really haven't tried much, but from what i can tell, there would be absolutely no problem mixing if you mixed it in advance; disolving the makeups in alcohol and then optionally allowing them to dry after mixing. There may hypothetically be a very slight issues in blending them directly on the skin for various artistic effects, but that takes a bit of artistic skill and experience to pull off well anyway. If you can make it look good, then you'd be talented enough to cope with the variances between brands, I should expect.

Before someone asks, When combining Alcohol Activated makeup with other types of makeup (cake, grease, pax) They generally won't blend, but they will layer nicely. You generally want to apply the strongest makeup on the bottom. Then other types stippled above.
Unread 03-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #12
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Dani's just started saleing the whole Krylon line they only thing is they require you to buy at lest $25 worth of Krylon products but that's not really a high number.

http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/kryol...?subsection=61

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #13
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Verdatum, seriously, if I could hug you, I would. Mostly because you been such an enormous help, but also because you're probably going to get sick of me.

Does that mean I have more questions? Of course, it does. *looks sheepish*

I'm currently debating between Kryolan and Matthew Mungle. Thus far, I've only found Matthew Mungle single colors in liquid form at fxwarehouse ($15.75 for 2 oz.). And it looks like I'll still need to colors. The Kryolan is less expensive, but there's the $25 minimum. Then there are the Matthew Mungle palettes for $45 (which would probably make the most sense, but I have no other costumes in mind that I'm going to need this sort of makeup for...). So--my specific question, is the lack of tackiness with the MM products worth the extra money, or should I just go crazy and buy some extra Kryolan?

And one more... Just how necessary are the removal products of AA makeup? I'm not on an incredibly tight budget, but I'd like to save money if I can...

Thanks again for all the help (and apologies to everyone else for hi-jacking the thread *sweatdrop*).
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

Unread 03-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #14
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

I don't have much experience with alcohol-activated makeup, so I'll let the experts talk about that one. Between oil or water based, I think it depends on what you're using the makeup for -- full skin coverage? Highlights? Do you need to apply any kind of prosthetics? Will there be hair or clothing rubbing against the makeup? These factors will affect makeup choice.

I have used both Mehron Star Blend and Ben Nye for my Gankutsuou makeup (I do my makeup differently every time I play Haydee... still experimenting after two years!). I also have a history of strange theatrical makeup (among other things, I once played the White Rabbit in a production of Alice In Wonderland). In general, I prefer water-based cake makeup like the Mehron Star Blend because I like the even application, and it does not smear as easily. I've found that even with sealant, the Ben Nye oil-based makeup tends to smear or wear off after a full day at a con, whereas the Mehron was much more durable and did not rub off on my wig or clothing.

On the other hand, the Ben Nye did give me more complete skin coverage, rather than blending with my natural tone, so if you need to make your skin a solid artificial color that might be a better option. Just be sure that no hair, clothing or props are going to touch the makeup and smear it. (Or you can just spray yourself silly with aerosol hair color, but that's very cold and involves noxious fumes...)

Shinteetah uses oil-based Ben Nye exclusively for her blue-faced Count, and she has no problem with smearing or fading. She is also very careful that nothing touches her face during the day. Perhaps skin type has something to do with it, as well.

I also keep a variety of Mehron Star Blend in my cosplay makeup kit for "normal" makeup on characters such as Riza Hawkeye. I have pale-pink Dutch skin, and if I'm going to pose for photos all day, I don't want to wash out in flash photographs.

Incidentally, I bought most of my stage makeup (cake, liners, setting powder, metallic powders, etc.) at a local dancewear/costume shop. If you're having trouble finding special kinds of makeup, look for little mom-and-pop stores in the phone book.

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." — Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 02:03 AM   #15
Shinteetah
Behavior Analyst. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVAAntares View Post
Shinteetah uses oil-based Ben Nye exclusively for her blue-faced Count, and she has no problem with smearing or fading. She is also very careful that nothing touches her face during the day. Perhaps skin type has something to do with it, as well.
Just saw this, and I should probably add that I use both a sealant spray and a setting powder with my blue Ben Nye. They weren't expensive (I bought the bottle of sealant two years ago for $5-6? and have half of it left) and are well worth it.

"...And Sewing Is Half the Battle!" -- photos & tutorials

"Cosplay is good skills for ninja." -- actual quote from my taijutsu sensei!

“God is no fonder of intellectual slackers than of any other slackers.... Anyone who is honestly trying to be a Christian will soon find his intelligence being sharpened.”
-- C. S. Lewis
Shinteetah is offline   Reply With Quote