Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

View Poll Results: Have you/will you ever play an American character?
Yes, I have played an American character 16 53.33%
No, I have not played an American character, but plan to. 12 40.00%
No, I have not played an American character, and do not plan to. 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-09-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
Jacques Strapp
Some dude

American Comics and their relative Cosplay

Is it just me or are American heroes GROSSLY underplayed at cons? I've looked at approximately 3/4 of all photos on cosplay.com(using webzip to acquire the pics, then irfanview for a slideshow), and not once have I seen Gambit, Wolverine, Rogue, Jean Grey, Green Lantern, Storm, or Wonderwoman portrayed. The American comic characters I've seen I can count on one hand:Superman, Batman, Daredevil, Robin, Elektra. Does anyone know why this is? I mean, in my opinion, no anime character has ANYTHING on good ol' Batman, and Nightcrawler--DAMN he's cool. When I was first introduced to costume play(about 3 months ago) I figured that Rogue would be one of the most common characters for females to play. I guess I was wrong.

So, has anyone here a habit of playing American characters?
Jacques Strapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
Lady
Sexy vonSexpants

Well I know there are a number of people who do Cry for Dawn cosplay, and one of my friends is considering entering the Dawn look-alike contest (she'd be a shoe-in to win if she did). I think perhaps cosplay tends to be automatically associated with Japan, and thusly, Japanese characters. But I think the cosplay of American characters is growing more popular as time goes by.

-Lady
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2003, 05:22 PM   #3
Jacques Strapp
Some dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady
Well I know there are a number of people who do Cry for Dawn cosplay, and one of my friends is considering entering the Dawn look-alike contest (she'd be a shoe-in to win if she did). I think perhaps cosplay tends to be automatically associated with Japan, and thusly, Japanese characters. But I think the cosplay of American characters is growing more popular as time goes by.

-Lady
What's "Cry for Dawn"?
Jacques Strapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2003, 06:06 PM   #4
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

I have done american comic cosplay and have more planned. DragonCon had a decent showing last year of superheroes - I don't have those pages up yet. Off the top of my head there was the following: 2 SpiderMans, Wolverine, Nick Fury, Angel (X-men), Wonder Woman, Supergirl, SpiderWoman, Scarlet Witch, Green Goblin, Dr. Doom, femme versions of Speedy and Robin. There were many more.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
soshi
onna kaizoku

Re: American Comics and their relative Cosplay

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacques Strapp
Is it just me or are American heroes GROSSLY underplayed at cons? I've looked at approximately 3/4 of all photos on cosplay.com(using webzip to acquire the pics, then irfanview for a slideshow), and not once have I seen Gambit, Wolverine, Rogue, Jean Grey, Green Lantern, Storm, or Wonderwoman portrayed. The American comic characters I've seen I can count on one hand:Superman, Batman, Daredevil, Robin, Elektra. Does anyone know why this is? I mean, in my opinion, no anime character has ANYTHING on good ol' Batman, and Nightcrawler--DAMN he's cool. When I was first introduced to costume play(about 3 months ago) I figured that Rogue would be one of the most common characters for females to play. I guess I was wrong.

So, has anyone here a habit of playing American characters?
ehehe, you must not go to many comic conventions? maybe you go to DC funded ones...? ^^; I see pictures of loads of those X-Men aaaaaaall the time. except Rogue... but two toned body suits are SO FRICKING DIFFICULT to make.. she's on my list for "indefinate future", but.. I have to learn to kick ass at making body suits first. ._.;;;

And yes, this means you.
soshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 02:16 AM   #6
Garuda_Aiacos
Waitin 4 Behemoth Violate

Heehehehee, this website is related most to Cosplay, Japanese Anime/Manga/JRock/Games related. So those who do these kind of costumes hangs out here and the photographers usually take pictures of such costumes.

Just look at other non-Cosplay related Cons like DC Comic Con, or Dragon Con and you'll see lots and lots of non-Japanese Cosplay costumes. From Batman to X-Men to Star Wars to Star Trek to Dawn to Spawn to Alien to Predator to Lord Of The Rings etc etc and even "old" cartoon/TV series like Battlestar Galactica. Every time my friends post their photos from these kind of events, I'm see hardly any Japanese Fandom cosplay, instead lots and lots of comic/movie related costumes.

Same goes when photo reports of Cosplay-Related Con are posted, you hardly see anyone in SW or ST or Batman or Dawn costumes.

IMHO and to my own thinking, Cosplay is still seen as doning costumes related to Japanese Fandom. To me and many others, those related to Western/American fandom is still considered as Costuming or Masquerer(sp?). Personally, I keep these 2 apart cause there seems to be a thin line between them, especially here in Singapore. Here, people are still hesistate to receive us SW/LOTR costumers into their events, although with the help from the organizers of such events, things are getting better.
Garuda_Aiacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 01:11 PM   #7
Lady
Sexy vonSexpants

Cry for Dawn is an American comic series about a Goddess named Dawn. I've never read it, so I can't tell you that much about it, but in "Other Costumes" I believe there's a thread about Cry for Dawn cosplay*nods*

-Lady
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 02:19 PM   #8
Sailor Naboo
Cosplay Reformer!

I got nothing but positive response to my Hermione costume at Sakura Con (I thought I'd get a few..."That's not anime" comments behind my back but I didn't hear any. The year before when I did Death from The Sandman I did get a few negitive comments. I've been thinking about doing something from X-Men Evolution (Kitty?) for the past few years, but I just haven't got around to it.

The other costume that I'd like to do is "Wendy" from Superfiends, but I don't think I could talk my husband into being "Marvin" so it wouldn't be as fun. I wouldn't do Superfriends at an Anime Con. There aren't enough people that would remember who they were even with Cartoon Network! It would be a fun one at a Comic Convention. I have a pair of low rise white bellbottoms put asside for it too!
Sailor Naboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2003, 03:12 PM   #9
Heather
shadow.walking.tactician

I plan to do Nico from Marvel's upcoming The Runaways --- at D*C this year as well as a couple Star Wars costumes!

I do think American comic characters are under-played. They need play too! XDDDDDD

"Suffering is the fuel in the engine of civilization." - Jacen Solo
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #10
LLC

Yes. In fact most of the people I know locally do.
Yes, we have Batman, Joker, Poison Ivy.

I have a friend who has done Purgatori and Chastity from the now gone Chaos! comic line, I have done Jade and Lady Death.

From DC comics I have done Mercy Graves (Lex Luthor's bodyguard/driver).

From TopCow comics Aphrodite IX, Lara Croft and working on others.

From Marvel I have done Storm (complete with SFx) and am looking at possibly the White Queen. A friend who has done Mystique.

As was pointed out it is a matter of cosplay was really associated more with Japanese characters and/or video game characters then American comic books.

Hopefully though while still a small group it will continue to grow in popularity also.
LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2003, 05:56 PM   #11
StacyMichelle

Kabuki is techinically an American comic, though it surrounds Asian culture. I'll be cosplaying a character from there. I've always wanted to do an X-Men cospla, specifically Gambit.
StacyMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2003, 12:09 AM   #12
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

Ooh, which Kabuki character? I cosplayed Snapdragon at DragonCon last year...^_^ David Mack was really nice and took tons of pics. *lol*

I'm also planning on making Scarlet Witch and Promethea costumes for SDCC next year.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2003, 06:40 PM   #13
JustinCredible
FunPloyee Of The Year!

I'd like to do Synch from Gen-X! Or Static! (Not the Static Shock Version but the original, much better comic version)
Unread 04-15-2003, 08:06 PM   #14
darkwombat
Mighty Marsupial

I actually made (assembled?) a Rogue costume a couple of years ago for Halloween... I guess it was kind of cheating, because I did the movie-style all black bodysuit thing rather than the traditional green and yellow, or even the purple thing she's got going on now. But it looked good, and I was happy with it, and it might come back this year. Cheesy tinfoil belt buckle and all.
"Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work. But, I've got my country's five hundredth anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped."~The Princess Bride
darkwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2003, 10:00 PM   #15
JacksUsername
Palahniuk fanatic

I'm actually going as Wolverine for this next convention, and am hoping to go as gambit for a convention later this year. Gambit sounds like the most fun, although Nightcrawler would be very interesting.

I'd love to do Robin, but I think my body build would make a better Batman or Nightwing. Two-Face would also be a fun person to cosplay as....*starts pondering over a Two-Face costume*...that would look so cool...

*and thus the planning begins*