Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

EZ Cosplay.Com Costume Review

Name of Commissioner: EZ Cosplay
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.ezcosplay.com/
Character commissioned and series/video game: Anna, her Coronation Day Dress, Frozen - this is their "deluxe" version
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://dancingcatcosplay.tumblr.com/image/90695244072
Timeline (how long your order took to process): A week, from order date to date received. Yeah, I was blown away too.
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.

So my niece wants me to dress up as Anna for Halloween, specifically her coronation day dress. I wasn't exactly invested in finding the greatest rendition of the dress out there, since I'm more of an Elsa fangirl. Regardless, I did want to try something with some sort of quality. I scoured ebay until I came across this one seller who was using pics and descriptions ripped straight from ezcosplay.com. Knowing that the seller wasn't ezcosplay, I decided to check them out myself. I went to their website, saw this version of Anna's dress was 50% off and immediately looked up reviews for the Website. From what I saw, the reviews were mixed, and I figured this is the cheapest I'm gonna get this dress MIGHT AS WELL. And I bought it. The dress is only available in standard sizes, however. I emailed them as soon as ordered to see if they could at least do something about the bust size, and they quickly responded that they unfortunately couldn't. The response was prompt. 24 hours later they gave me an estimate of expecting it in around two to four weeks. Specifically a 12 day making time plus time for shipping, which I found odd seeing as this is a dress I expected to be premade given it only coming in standard sizes. But I shrugged it off. As long as it got here before October.

So to my great surprise, today (7/3/14), I got a package from China via DHL. I was like "wut, this can't possibly be it." But it was. I guess my assumption of it being premade was well founded. So I opened it up and lo and behold... THIS COSTUME IS EXACTLY LIKE THE PICTURES. I swear to you everything about this costume is picture perfect when compared to the website. WOW. Granted, there are a few sizing issues that have to do with this costume only being a standard size available, but for me this issues are easily fixed. I am SOOO impressed with the quality of the costume I received. My only major complaint is the petticoat that comes with the dress. Even in the pictures on site it's plain to see that it's too short for the skirt. But without it, the dress is unfortunately too long. That aside, IT IS BEAUTIFUL, and it shipped within a week of my ordering it. From China? That is damned impressive, but given the weight of the dress you really have no choice but the speedier, more expensive options.

HOWEVER, I should point out that this is their "deluxe" version of the costume, and I have the sneaking suspicion that this costume was not made by ezcosplay themselves but rather a partner of theirs, given that their standard Anna Coronation day dress is significantly worse quality in pictures alone. The watermarks on the pictures on the site even say "AS Cosing, Exclusive License Granted to EZCosplay," which is what lead me to this conclusion. I'm not sure if this counts as a con to the costume, but make of it what you will.

Oh, another note: it's not an issue for me, for as I said before, I'm not too invested in the outfit, but the costume's bodice does not have embroidery on the back (in the movie, the bodice does have back embroidery).

Pros: Exactly like the pictures, excellent quality, prompt communication
Cons: Only available in standard sizes, petticoat is a bit too short for the skirt

Final Grade: A+

UPDATE regarding the watermarks. Thanks to usuyukisou:

Quote:
Regarding the watermark, EZ Cosplay has previously stolen pictures from places like Ruler Cosplay. I looked at the dress on your tumblr, and recognised it right away as the dress sold by AS Cosing. The official AS Cosing site on taobao sells the dress for 598 RMB. (Anna's necklace is an additional 33 RMB) (Dress+Necklace+Domestic shipping = ~$102 USD).

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=39290236339

The Ebay stores claiming to be AS Cos or Artistic Sprouts are both illegitimate claims because of the photos they use for Elsa's ice dress. The real site wanted to promote their higher quality, and so used photos of the Korean cosplayer Tomia, while following Tomia's blog to mimic her dress. After Tomia filed a complaint, the real AS Cosing replaced their photos with actual photos of the dress they made. However, the frauds masquerading as AS Cosing did not change the photos.

Because of this new information, if you decide to order this dress, please do it through the taobao store or ezcosplay to avoid possible quality droppage! But if you can, support the taobao shop over ex cosplay! It seems they're reselling the costumes, unauthorized I might add.

My grade is going unchanged, however; despite the illegitamcy of their business with AS, the fact remains I got what I needed with little hassle and fast shipping.
Kenshin 2.0 (Rurouni Kenshin) - 0%

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen

Last edited by Reily96 : 08-16-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
dunkmasterjon

I've bought from them recently as well and they were amazing!
dunkmasterjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #3
Acespud

I've heard good things about them before. Thank you for this review, I might buy from them one day.
Acespud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
stefaniecat
Camera Cat

This was exactly the review i needed. I"ve been drooling over this dress on Ebay since it has the nicest gold piping, etc. and I'm so glad that it was what you received.... the ebay version lists shipping at $150 (and $400 if I get the version with wig and necklace wtf!) while their site is 'only' $50. Wish I had that coupon you had.... I'd jump it in a heartbeat!

Did their sizing match up to their size charts? I see you mentioned 'sizing issues' but I think that's more tailoring down to custom than things running tiny etc?
stefaniecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
usuyukisou

Regarding the watermark, EZ Cosplay has previously stolen pictures from places like Ruler Cosplay. I looked at the dress on your tumblr, and recognised it right away as the dress sold by AS Cosing. The official AS Cosing site on taobao sells the dress for 598 RMB. (Anna's necklace is an additional 33 RMB) (Dress+Necklace+Domestic shipping = ~$102 USD).

The Ebay stores claiming to be AS Cos or Artistic Sprouts are both illegitimate claims because of the photos they use for Elsa's ice dress. The real site wanted to promote their higher quality, and so used photos of the Korean cosplayer Tomia, while following Tomia's blog to mimic her dress. After Tomia filed a complaint, the real AS Cosing replaced their photos with actual photos of the dress they made. However, the frauds masquerading as AS Cosing did not change the photos.
Unread 08-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefaniecat View Post
This was exactly the review i needed. I"ve been drooling over this dress on Ebay since it has the nicest gold piping, etc. and I'm so glad that it was what you received.... the ebay version lists shipping at $150 (and $400 if I get the version with wig and necklace wtf!) while their site is 'only' $50. Wish I had that coupon you had.... I'd jump it in a heartbeat!

Did their sizing match up to their size charts? I see you mentioned 'sizing issues' but I think that's more tailoring down to custom than things running tiny etc?
I have to say, unless the ebay store seller's name is ezcosplay, DO NOT buy from them. Chances are its a fraud. Like the poster after you said, stealing photos is rampant on the internet.

That being said, the sizing did match up to the charts. Nothing ran small, but then again, I'm naturally very tiny, so I'm the wrong person to ask. More often than not, things run big on me rather than smaller. But nothing was HUGE on me, either. Definitely true to the sizing charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuyukisou View Post

And this is why I take shopping on cosplay stores with a grain of salt! I didn't know any of this, but then again, I really don't follow a lot of cosplay blogs or look into this sort of thing that I often since I either make costumes myself or commission my costumes from US based commissioners. This is really good to know, and I'll be adding your comments to my review accordingly.

For the Future:
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Unread 08-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
stefaniecat
Camera Cat

Well, at this point, I'd be ordering from the EZ site rather than EBay as the shipping from the seller that seems to be them is outrageous ($150 from ebay to ship the dress vs $41 in web site store).
And the good news is that I"d be getting what I'm seeing, based on what your image shows being a match for what I want.
I can definitely tell that several other ebay sellers are using their images - their mannequin shots don't match up on the details on the gold piping, etc.

BTW - did that Tomia complaint happen recently? Because I could have sworn one of the sellers I'd 'watched' the item on had linked the blog & facebook of the cosplayer and named her which added to the legitimacy... and now I can't find that info in any listing.
stefaniecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
usuyukisou

Here's a post on the Tomia situation:
https://www.facebook.com/Tomia.Offic...91409230933992

AS Cosing's costumes are officially distributed in Korea by Korean wig seller Cos Edition. Tomia got her Elsa wig from Cos Edition. AS Cosing followed Tomia's blog to make their own Elsa dress. Tomia never gave permission for her photo of her dress that she made to be used by AS Cosing, and when she complained, AS Cosing (official Taobao store) complied and switched to their own photo (for reference, AS Cosing's official listing with their own photos: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=37470564256 ).

In short, any site that isn't AS Cosing's official Taobao store or Cos Edition is not an official agent. If they are masquerading as AS Cosing AND still using Tomia's photos, they are definitely not affiliated with either party. At best, they are an unauthorised reseller and at least you get the item shown in the listing.
Unread 08-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

Because of that, I'd say if you can, you should support AS Cosing instead, through their taobao shop. However, taobao doesn't sell outside of Asia, I believe... or is that still the case? I have to say I've been so opposed to using a middle man service, so I don't even know the names of any such services either.

For the Future:
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen

Last edited by Reily96 : 08-16-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Unread 08-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
usuyukisou

^ Taobao consists of many individual shops. Very few sell outside of China, but some do... Either through an official English site (Lucaille), through Ebay (Fantasy Sheep, Grand Young), or they post that overseas customers can email them to choose items and then pay through Paypal. If they do, it'll be mentioned on their Taobao store. Most will, however, state straight-up that they have neither sister-stores, spin-off stores, nor authorised agents [rather unfortunate that they write this only in Chinese].

AS Cosing doesn't sell out of China, aside from in Korea through Cos Edition, so, yes, you would have to go through a shopping service if you don't want to risk going to an unaffiliated party using the photos.

Unauthorised resellers (aka they actually send you what is pictured) make huge mark-ups on the items --- it's practically like paying for your EMS shipping fee twice (I'm in US, using that for reference). So, if you're pinching pennies, it's recommended to grit your teeth and practice navigating Taobao... There are tutorials online on what key symbols mean, though naturally it is good practice to stick to reputable stores and to ask about stores (never hurts to ask!!). Disclaimer: I learn to navigate it not knowing Chinese, but I had a flying start because I was walked through by several people who do.

There are various services available, so I guess look at what others are using. I have only ever used one service --- I didn't have an issue the first time, so I never felt the need to try someone else. Different services may have different policies, but at this one, I don't bother with the spreadsheet. I just make a neat list with any necessary details in an email to the agent, and she fills in the spreadsheet, which I then confirm.
Unread 01-18-2015, 01:38 AM   #11
Chikkijet
I am a Woman-Child :P

Couldn't get it through Taobao (due to not shipping to my country) so 2nd best option was to go via EZ.

They were running a special for first orders with a percentage off, I also googled for coupon codes and found one for NY sales.

Got the costume and can say it's exactly as pictured. I ordered standard sizing (because my measurements are pretty darn close to that anyways) and added about a half inch for Christmas padding lol

I'd asked them some questions via FB message and they were very quick to respond and helpful to work out shipping via alternative method that kept the cost down for me, since I did not need expedited shipping like they offer.

It arrived before the estimated date and the quality is excellent. Exactly as per the pictures on their site.

I also bought the matching cape... although it worked out a bit more than Taobao etc I didn't mind the extra since a) I could clearly understand the policies/terms and b) paid via PayPal so no worries if any issues came up.

The only tiny niggles I would mention is the bow on the cape was a little bit less well made than the rest, and attached with a safety pin (but this has to attached where the neck opening is so would have needed to be taken on/off anyway. Cape closes with an elastic loop and button which is a bit too fiddly for my taste, so will replace with a large hook/eye. Zipper in skirt is invisible but the one on the bodice is regular and feels a bit 'sticky' however I think a pencil over it should sort that issue out. Also from past experience I find invisible zips tend to break with the pulling required to do up a bodice as opposed to a skirt... but as for anything else I can't find any faults.

Once I give the skirt a good press and perhaps tack down the pleats so they sit flat, should all be good.

Oh the hoop that it comes with is very basic and a bit short, so the picky ones may want to get a proper bridal hoop, or even layer a tulle pettiskirt over the top so the hoop won't show through.

Overall very pleased with my purchase, and for the intended purpose (kids parties) it should work well

Awards: EB Expo Runner Up Best Costume Just 'Cos Contest '12, Video Games Live Dubai Cosplay Winner '13
Chikkijet is offline   Reply With Quote