Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 12-06-2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Review on: Cosrea

I was originally going to post this in the Commissioner Review Thread but I figured I wouldn't fill up all that space with my words so here I am!

Name of Commissioner:
Cosrea

Website/C.com gallery:
Cosrea.com, Cosrea - Etsy, Cosrea - Storenvy, Cosrea - Facebook

Character commissioned and series:
Charlotte the Dessert Witch from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, I was asking to have her entire costume made.

Timeline:
I do not remember exactly when I first contacted Cosrea about my commission(I deleted the messages from my Conversations on Etsy a little while back) but I believe it was just a couple of days before I got paid on November 16th.

I contacted them and asked if they would be willing to give me a free quote for my costume since they promise to give out free quotes after they are done "assessing" the piece with their team, they happily told me yes, they would give me one.

Naturally, I was very excited to hear this news from them so soon(it was only a couple of minutes after I sent them the message which was impressive to me since they are apparently stationed in China) and the quote I was given was $195.
To me at the time, it seemed a little outrageous considering how simple the costume is but I simply gave them the benefit of the doubt and just assumed it all came from expensive fabrics to ensure the quality was top notch on top of hours they would spend working on the piece.
Though, before paying, they requested that I print out their measurement chart and give them a few measurements before they officially started working on things which I had absolutely nothing against doing.
So I gave them what they asked for, of course!

Since I have other things in my life to take care of outside of cosplaying, I requested that we do a split payment because that would simply just make things easier on me and, of course, they oh-so-happily complied and sent me an invoice...
...On PayPal.
And you know what that means?
If everything went down the toilet, I would not to be able to leave them any type of review on Etsy and about all I could do was open a case on PayPal and hope that I won it.

At that moment, I got a little skeptical because while I totally trust PayPal with my transactions, I found it a little odd that they would not create a custom listing for my piece in their Etsy shop that only I had access to.
Eventually I got over my suspicions about the whole thing and gave up $97.50 on the 16th of November and naturally requested that I get progress pictures simply to prove that my piece wasn't being neglected.
Again, they said that they would give me pictures as things came along and that they would get back to me as soon as possible.
So I waited about a week and a half or so before I even bothered to message them and ask them how things were going.
When it comes to commissions, I give the person about two to three weeks to get started on things and even a little bit after that, I'm not too worried about how things are going because I know that life happens and that things can always come up when we least expect it...and considering how popular they seem, I figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt with the situation.
But I heard NOTHING from them at all unless I contacted them first which was very unusual and unsettling to me considering the fact that I was promised I would be updated on how the costume was coming along as it was put together.

As things panned out and my suspicions about them as a shop grew, I tried to do some research on them(which was incredibly difficult, unfortunately) just to see if I was being overly paranoid or if I was properly in line with my thoughts about them.
I recommended them as a commissioner to someone here on the site because someone was asking about rather they should commission a piece and whom they should try and talk to about and my post got a response saying this:

"They have stolen photos from Miao Wu Cos, Artistic Sprouts, Blaze Crimson, Dog Egg G so at best what they are is an overpriced reseller."

I was on the verge of laughing myself into my own grave because seeing that statement made many connections for me.
On their shop page on Etsy, they claim to have "stock costumes" which, as it turned out, were in fact just stolen from other cosplay shops across the web and simply rehashed with THEIR store logo on it.
Then, just to add to it, I found this review of the shop online.

I contacted them about a week ago asking them how things were going and I requested, again, to have some progress pictures.
I got a very sweet-sounding response saying that it was coming along well and that they would get me pictures as soon as they could and that basically sealed the deal.
Progress pictures are likely one of the easiest parts of commissioning because you just have to walk up to what you're working on, snap a picture, and e-mail it to the person.
No rocket science involved.

At this point, I have not gotten any response from them nor have I received images of my costume.
So, I am purposefully growing incredibly distant with the shop because I feel that I am not going to ever get that costume and they surely are not going to get $97.50 out of me again until they prove that my costume has actually been worked on.
Before I became horribly aware that they were going to likely just take my money and I get nothing out of it, I did ask them for another quote on another costume...that I have yet to receive(it's been a good two weeks) so I've basically given up on that one all together, ha ha.

While those that do buy the costumes they literally always have in stock rate very highly with their reviews, I do not recommend that you commission from this store at this very moment because as of right now, I have no idea if my costume even exists.
I also do not recommend them as a store because they are stealing other people's legitimate work and reselling it simply to make profit which is absolutely awful.

To be honest, I'm not even upset about what has happened, it just acted as a cruel reminder that when things seem too good to be true, they likely are.
Do your research!
I just want everyone to know the experience that I had with them so please, take note.

Obviously, if I do receive my item at some point in the future, my review on them as a commissioner will change drastically but this is how it stands at this moment in time.

Future Costume(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica (In the process of commissioning)

Completed Costumes:
None right now!

Conventions I Attend/Will Be Attending:
*Animazement 2015

I also have a tumblr, click me to see!

Last edited by Milky Bubbles : 12-06-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Crystalsetsuna
Crazy Beardie Lady

you're totally alright to post your review in the Review 2.0 thread. it's there to let people know about commissioners and if they're reliable or not

I am the new keeper for the Commissioner Review Thread 2.0! Check it out!
Crystalsetsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Okay, thanks for letting me know!
I'll be sure to throw this up there~

Future Costume(s):
*Human!Charlotte the Witch - Puella Magi Madoka Magica (In the process of commissioning)

Completed Costumes:
None right now!

Conventions I Attend/Will Be Attending:
*Animazement 2015

I also have a tumblr, click me to see!

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Crystalsetsuna
Crazy Beardie Lady

well just make sure you follow the form provided in the thread please!

I am the new keeper for the Commissioner Review Thread 2.0! Check it out!
Crystalsetsuna is offline   Reply With Quote