Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1069 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #2776
Feysera
I'd rather be Lois Lane.

(Forgot to post this earlier!)

Name of Commissioner: Antiquity-Dreams
Website/C.com gallery: http://antiquity-dreams.deviantart.com/gallery/32933231
Character commissioned and series/video game: Wig for Giselle from Enchanted
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://antiquity-dreams.deviantart.c...nted-404598999

Timeline:
  • Contacted them on Jul 15. Requested deadline for wig is Nov 1. Received first reply two days later.
  • Commissioner informs that they'll be overseas till Sept 1, but will order base wig before leaving so they can work on it when they get back. Not a problem with me, since my deadline is in Nov after all.
  • Received pic of completed wig on Oct 2. Wig was shipped later that day after I said it was ok.
  • Wig arrived on Oct 18.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.

Very polite and friendly to work with! The wig turned out completely fantastic and I'm very very pleased with it. It would've been nice to be consulted on the color of the base wig they were going to use, but their choice was good nonetheless.

Final Grade: A
Feysera is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #2777
mengy
Yarn Wizard

JDs Cosply - Excellent!

Name of Commissioner: JDs Cosplay
Website/C.com gallery: http://photobucket.com/jdscosplay
Character commissioned and series/video game: Korra (season 2) - TLOK - Entire costume except boots
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nd/photo-1.jpg (bad pic sorry! better ones coming once the weather outside improves)
Timeline (how long your order took to process): 2 months from first inquire into quote
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: My first commission ever. Prompt replies to all emails. I had asked for higher quality fabric (I paid extra for it) and I got exactly what I was expecting. Everything fits perfectly! I love the quality of the craftsmanship! I wasn't expecting all the nicely tailored zippers! I will definitely work with him again in the very near future.
Final Grade: A+
mengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #2778
CrazeeCanadia
Will Always Be Noobish

2012cosplay Boots Review

Name of Merchant: 2012cosplay.
Item purchased: UTAUloid Namine Ritsu cosplay boots.
Pictures: http://crazeecanadia.tumblr.com/post...-ritsu-cosplay
Timeline: Boots were ordered July 15th, 2013, boots were received August 5th, 2013.
Experience: I saw the listing for these Ritsu boots while I was browsing around, and they were the cheapest listing I was able to find (other places had boot covers listed for $200. Can we say possible scam?). The store had (and still has) a 100% satisfaction rating with their eBay store, so I figured I found a safe place to buy from.
The boots were $60, plus $20 for shipping DHL (not what I preferred, but eh). They ask that, when you buy your cosplay shoes, you send them all these sorts of measurements in the little buyer's note area. Because I believe in being sweet with cosplay sellers, I sent them measurements in both centimeters and inches. I was a bit worried that this would mess up the measurements after the fact, and I was also worried that they wouldn't make the boots as tall as I asked for, but all I could do was wait and see.
Fast forward three weeks or so. The DHL truck pulls up in my driveway with the boots. When I saw the boots were packaged in a bag rather than a box like I expected them to be, I was a little worried. However, I pulled the boots out (from the large amounts of bubble wrap they were buried in) and the only thing wrong with them was a little crease on the sides of them from where they were folded over in the bag. Otherwise, they were beautiful and the colors were very similar to how they appeared on the listing picture.
I put on the boots to make sure that they fit. Holy magikarp the measurements were right on the dot. The boots fit me perfectly, and looked almost the way I wanted them to! The only downside was that the heels of the boots didn't look like they did in the listing. Instead of that little trapezoid shape going on, my heel gap looked a bit more like a diamond (but whatever it holds up). The material looks nice, when it doesn't have creases in it. The part that gets the most creases and dents a lot is the blue material on the toes, but unless you've got your head a few inches away from the toes you can't really notice them. They're a little stiff to walk around in as well, but hey, cosplay shoes do that, yes? One final, little complaint I have is that the ribbons on the shoes become untied after a couple hundred steps, even if I double knot them.
Despite me being a nitpick, these boots are wonderful and were definitely worth the $80 that I spent on them. The bottom around the toe is starting to come off a bit, but it's something I can fix with super glue, I'm sure.

So in short:
Pros: Great quality, colors were similar, measurements were dead on, arrived in reasonable time, and need I mention look amazing?
Cons: The boots themselves wrinkle sometimes, the ribbons come untied a lot, kind of have wrinkle-crinkle damage, as well as the fact they came in a bag instead of a box, but otherwise there aren't many other real cons with these boots or the seller.

Final grade: A definite A! I would really recommend this store to anyone looking for cosplay shoes (despite my nitpicking about the ones I got ^^;.) They make good looking cosplay shoes at a reasonable price. If I need cosplay shoes in the future, this is the first place I'm gonna look.

PS: First review I've ever posted...hopefully the format is okay!

Conventions for 2014:
Ichibancon (Concord, North Carolina, passed~!)
Anime Southeast (Sevierville, Tennessee)
Anime Blast Chattanooga '14 (Chattanooga, Tennessee)

Current cosplays:

Fem!Waluigi (Super Mario Bros.)
Namine Ritsu (UTAU)
Touko/Hilda/White (Pokemon Black/White)

In progress:

Vocaloid SONiKA (Wig acquired, currently saving funds for clothes)
CrazeeCanadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #2779
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Name of Commissioner: The Cosplay Fox
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.facebook.com/thecosplayfox
Character commissioned and series/video game: Honekoneko Plushie
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://fluffychocolatecos.tumblr.com...he-cosplay-fox
Timeline: Mid-August-Early December

Made a request in the cosplay commissions fb group. I was looking to get a Honekoneko plushie done after my other one was way too small. Think I was asking for something else to along with this. My deadline was end of November. She messaged me and gave me exact price on the plushie and it was a very price, she even offered to take money off it if that price didn't work. I said no the quoted price was fine. Paid over half the amount and within days I got a picture of the fabric. Weeks after I continually but not like too much asked for updates and she provided one each time. I paid the remaining I owed in November. She let me know of a personal situation and asked if we could set the deadline back some so she could have some time. I fully understood this so I said early December. She sent a finished plushie picture to me on the 3rd and had him shipped on Friday. He got here today! He looks fantastic and is bigger then my old one. He is a more darker purple that I love too plus he has the zipper and pouch area in the back that fits my wallet,phone,and candies.

Only thing I can find off is he is missing the stitches on top of his head but my old one had that to but it's a easy fix though he looks cute without them. Also a stitch in his leg popped but that's highly likely my Postwoman fault as she squished him into my mailbox.

This plushie was for my sister's Stocking cosplay and she is very happy with him! He current is sitting next to her Hello Kitty plush. That means a lot.

I plan in the future to get something else made by this sweetheart again. I highly recommend her!

Final Grade: A
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #2780
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

Name of Commissioner: SureWells
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_be...s&node=3760911
Item purchased: http://www.amazon.com/SureWells-Voca...ords=black+wig
Links to pictures:
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...psc413c321.jpg
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps8e4ff976.jpg
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...pse9567fed.jpg
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps96935f66.jpg
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...psf591811d.jpg
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps53b96293.jpg
After its cut;
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps0517f13a.jpg
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...psecba8fbc.jpg
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/q...psf3b0b3e1.jpg
Timeline: Ordered it on 12/14 and it came on 12/18(Amazon Prime)
Describe your Experience: Love the wig, very soft and easy to brush.

*Conventions for 2014*
Otakon Vegas
Anime Expo
Anime California

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #2781
Feysera
I'd rather be Lois Lane.

Name of Commissioner: Idzerda Designs
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.idzerdadesigns.com/ | (Ad on Cosplay.com Marketplace)
Character commissioned and series/video game: Elastigirl from The Incredibles [full costume]
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...15352& type=3

Timeline:
  • Jul 28: First contacted her. Requested deadline for costume was Dec 1. Received first reply couple of hours later. Settled payment plans after that.
  • Sept 5: Emailed her about any progress made since a full month has passed without any updates.
  • Sept 20: She finally replied, saying that she has purchased fabric but has not started on my costume because there are a few orders before me. Alright, fine, I could understand that.
  • Nov 20: Emailed her again because I haven't received any updates and it's nearing my deadline.
  • Nov 21: She replied that she will send me progress photos the following day.
  • Nov 25: Didn't receive any. I emailed her again.
  • Nov 30: Finally received photos of completed costume, and because there was no way that it could reach me on time, she offered to cover the additional shipping cost so that it'd reach me ASAP. I appreciate the offer, even if she didn't apologize for not meeting the initial deadline. However, portions of the costume (which are supposed to be red) was in the wrong color! I pointed that to her, and she apologized, offering to redo those parts with no extra charge, only that it'd reach me later. I said fine, since I can't wear it to my con (which was on Dec 7) anyway, might as well have it fixed so I can wear it for a later event on Dec 20. I asked if she could fix it up and ship it off before then, but that it wasn't a must.
  • Dec 4: She replied that she'd try to get it to me ASAP and that she had place the order for the right colored fabric.
  • Dec 16: Emailed her asking if she was able to finish redoing my costume on time.
  • Dec 20: She finally replied with the photos of the costume with the right color, and that she had just shipped it off. However, she apologized that she could not get it to me on time. Alright, I was okay with that.
  • Dec 26: Finally received package, however, it wasn't shipped to address I had requested her to mail to. (**see details below**)

The Good:

The costume was of high-quality, and fits amazingly on me (EXCEPT for the boot covers. She didn't use any elastic to keep them up so they kept sliding down. :/) I do like the rest of the finished costume, definitely. Nicely packaged to fit the holiday season, and she included a set of instructions on how to clean it. Also, I had requested she included the leftover red material and she did so, thankfully.

She was mostly friendly in our communications.

The Bad:

Deadline issues aside, she could improve on her communication. I'm not big on pestering commissioners or breathing over their shoulders, and it's not like I expect a reply within 24/48 hours. But I AM going to be worried if I don't hear anything for weeks, especially when the deadline is coming up, or if you say you're gonna send me progress photos the next day and it hasn't happened.

What I'm really not happy with is that I had given her an address to ship the costume to, which is a friend's place I'm currently staying at. It's due to a falling out I had with my family. Needless to say, I'm now avoiding any form of meeting with them because it's distressing to me. BUT, she did not ship it to the address I had given her; instead, the costume was mailed to my family's residential address (which I suspect she used because it was stated as my billing address to my Paypal account). Thus, I received a phonecall from them and had to head over to pick it up. Not a pleasant experience. Everything else - missed deadlines, lack of updates - I can handle. But this part was especially upsetting to me. I have emailed her about this and am waiting for a reply.

Final Grade: B-
(She seemed sincere and the costume was perfectly done in the end. I may commission her in future. Perhaps.)

/Updated (Dec 27) : On second thought, I feel less likely to commission her in future. While most of the costume was amazing, she does not acknowledge the error in shipping to the wrong address in her latest reply nor do I receive an apology for that. Only that she was happy I liked the costume. Ah, well. u___u

Last edited by Feysera : 12-27-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Unread 12-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #2782
underthewings
"Come and capture me"

Is it alright to leave a very late review of a commissioner even if the transaction is several months old? (April-July, to be exact.) I noticed that said commissioner has not had a review on here yet and I would like to provide one as an example for other people. Thank you!

Last edited by underthewings : 12-27-2013 at 03:16 AM.
underthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #2783
FluffyCoatIzaya
I Love Izaya Orihara ^^

@underthewings i ve seen it done. i think you can
FluffyCoatIzaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #2784
Feysera
I'd rather be Lois Lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthewings View Post
Is it alright to leave a very late review of a commissioner even if the transaction is several months old? (April-July, to be exact.) I noticed that said commissioner has not had a review on here yet and I would like to provide one as an example for other people. Thank you!
I think any review, late or not, would be good. Sharing experiences with a commissioner gives future customers a better picture of the person they are about to order from.
Unread 12-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #2785
underthewings
"Come and capture me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyCoatIzaya View Post
@underthewings i ve seen it done. i think you can
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feysera View Post
I think any review, late or not, would be good. Sharing experiences with a commissioner gives future customers a better picture of the person they are about to order from.
Thanks you two! I assumed that it would be alright, but I just wanted to ask beforehand nevertheless.

- - -

Name of Commissioner: Coslife Studios
Website/C.com gallery: www.coslifestudios.com
Character commissioned and series/video game: Rinoa Heartilly from Final Fantasy VIII [partial costume - duster and arm warmers]
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: I do not have any pictures on hand to the cosplay itself, however there are pictures of the final product on display at their gallery if you scroll down.

Timeline:
  • Mar 9: First contacted via e-mail with a requested deadline of April 30.
  • Mar 10: Received reply stating that a quote will be created in a few days after checking out the price of the fabrics needed.
  • Mar 15: She sent a picture of a potential fabric and asked for my opinion on it. It was perfect, but the color of it was too dark unfortunately.
  • Mar 17: I was provided a quote of the total cost included with a detailed break down of the price by fabric cost, material cost, production, shipping and tax. I responded back the following day and agreed to the quota. We settled payment method afterwards.
  • Mar 20: She sent me two more high-quality, up close pictures of other light blue rib-knit fabrics.
  • Mar 23: She sent the invoice which I paid in full amount the moment I received. Then she asked which of the fabrics between the three that I liked the most and wanted to use for the costume.
  • Apr 29: She apologized for missing the deadline to ship the costume at and said that it will be shipped out tomorrow over night. I was perfectly fine with that. After all, we are all humans; we make mistakes. Very understandable.
  • May 1: Received the tracking number of the package. Pictures of the finished products posted on her tumblr.
  • May 4: Finally received it. Yay! The delay was due to my local post office holding onto it.
*The reason why I referred to the commissioner as 'she' above is because at the time, it was run all by herself and was under a former name of Shinaiko Cosplay. Now, there's a team and it's known as Coslife Studios. The following additional commentary will be about the owner whom I had experience with prior to the changes.

I was very impressed by her resume as a costume designer and fashion student. After going through her gallery of her previous works, I knew right away that she was the one I wanted to commission my cosplay from. Admittedly, I was a little nervous because I had never commissioned a seamstress before, only a prop maker. But all those worries disappeared with her quick responses, the professionalism of the transaction maintained (such as breaking down the total price; why it was at that price, etc.), and the excellent communications and service. Never before had I had so much of my input involved before. When she sent me pictures of the materials she found at her local area, I felt like I was walking side-by-side, step-by-step with her throughout the entire process especially with the quality of the up-close photos I received of the potential materials! The costume I received fits well and was high-quality too. I was so immensely happy; cue the happy, girlish tears. It looked exactly like from the video game. I couldn't be any more thrilled.

I would highly recommend this commissioner. She is a very talented, sweet, polite, sincere, and nice person to work with. It was such a pleasure doing business with her and even to this day, I'm still blown away by how amazing the entire order and how easily it was to talk to her outside of the commission process. (It helped that I am soon to be pursuing a fashion major as well and my interest in fashion.) I plan to go to her for any of my future cosplays that I need commissioned from now on. In fact, I do plan on commissioning her another costume (or two!). If you're looking for a commissioner who is flexible, professional, and an amazing sweetheart, she is your person. She will work with you. Believe me, if I could give her any higher rating than an A+, I would.

Last edited by underthewings : 12-28-2013 at 02:21 AM.
underthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #2786
Haruhi009

Lolita Dress

Name of Commissioner: Jane Ackland/Loliposh
Character commissioned and series/video game:Lolita Dress
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Put them up later.
Timeline: So I messaged her back on 12/30/11 about the dress. Got a quick reply from her. Well hours were cut for awhile at my work. March 10 '12 gave her my measurements. Got and e-mail back from her that she had a family emergency and it was like one of those e-mails that if you ask the shop a question and they have the store down you get an the same message. March 12 '12 got a message saying she just got back and will start on it asap. March 21 '12 messaged her asking how are things going with the dress. Immediatly got the same message about unforeseen family matters. Same one from March 10th. July 6th messaged her and never heard back. At this point I missed one con and had another con in Sept. on my birthday. Did some reaserch found out she had a fb page. So she was posting things but nothing about shop closed. Apparently she had a fashion show or something. July 28 contacted her through fb asking about the dress. July 29 get a message about it was being put on hold cause the lace was on back order. Apparently they arrived when she was in the UK. She said she thought she messaged me but I guess it got lost in cyber space due to vacation mode. Don't think it was 100% true but told me when she got back to Canada. She felt really bad about it and asked if I wanted the dress still. Tod her yes and she gave me a great deal. 8/14 got another message from her asking if 50% off the price would be fine. Told her yes. 8/27 it was at customs and had to give my # to her so they could release it to me. 8/30 Got the dress and it fit. Got a little worried cause I thought it wouldn't fit. But it did.
Pros: Dress fits fine and still does. Got a discount.
Cons: Communication was kinda poor.
Final Grade: C+
Haruhi009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #2787
Mila137

Name of Commissioner: Cosplay FU
Website/C.com gallery ****This Website Link Has Been Removed due to Recent Forum Spam****.com
Character commissioned and series: Kurumi Tokisaki from Date a Live. I bought a wig, outfit and boots.
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item http://mila137.tumblr.com/post/73480...playfu-came-in
Timeline January 5-15

Pros: the costume was really easy to manage. It came in separate pieces all fitting snugly~ The costume looked EXACTLY liked the photo provided. The wig is a beautiful color that came tangle free. The boots are easy to use with a zipper on the back. I used express shipping which was supposed to take 3-6 days but only took 2! The time period of making the costume is originally 20 days or so but mine was completed in under 10.

Cons: The main issue I have is the wig ponytails were longer than the one in the picture. This is a noticeable flaw. The package was bursting because they stuffed it all into a box. The bow on my boot also fell off but it may just be my mistake.

Overall Grade: B+
Unread 01-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #2788
King-Denzel

Review: Goggle_Girl

Name of Commissioner: goggle_girl
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/52399
Character commissioned and series/video game: Simon and David hoodies from Cry of Fear and Afraid of Monsters.
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3457422/
Timeline (how long your order took to process): 2 December, 2013, and finished 14 December, 2013. The deadline was before Christmas.

Pros: Very good communication, reasonable prices, knowledgeable about her work, and very kind!
Cons: Absolutely none at all!

Comments: Over all working with her was absolutely the best. She was very understanding and polite from the start, and was patient with me every step of the way. She worked diligent and fast, making sure my hoodies were done on time.

King-Denzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #2789
OtakuNumber9000

Name of Commissioner: Haruchii

Website/C.com gallery:http://www.cosplay.com/member/231280/photos/

Character commissioned and series/video game: Aradia Megido God Tier version; Homestuck. Only shirt and hood were commissioned.

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3468265/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3468269/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3468270/

Timeline (how long your order took to process): About a month.

Describe your Experience.
Pros: Haruchii is very good with communication and is very kind, she has a reasonable price range and is overall someone I would work with again.

Final Grade: A-

ATTENDING CONVENTIONS:
Ichibancon- Done
Animazment
OtakuNumber9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #2790
TheNightingale
Extraordinarily Ordinary.

Name of Commissioner: Graceasaur

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/240292/

Character commissioned and series/video game: Saria from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: N/A

Timeline (how long your order took to process): N/A

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments:
Posted an advertisement looking for someone to do a simple wig styling for me on 08-23-2013. She messaged me on 08-25-2013 with her tumblr and previous works. For the next few weeks we discussed possible wigs and colors. Then one day she stopped answering. The last message I received from her was on 09-13-2013 saying that the wig was ordered. I emailed her once every few weeks to try and get a reply but eventually her inbox was full. I recently looked at her cosplay page and I know she was active just a few weeks ago. I had paid her half, so that money is sadly gone.

Final Grade: F-

This is the third time someone has jipped me on this site, despite me always researching them. I now do everything on my own, rather then rely on others.

Time for some thrilling heroics.
TheNightingale is offline   Reply With Quote