Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1376 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #451
Velvet Wings
Giselle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoko-and-Yami View Post
I don't know if someone has asked this before but does cosplaymagic.com's Sora costume http://www.cosplaymagic.com/kihesoco.html really look that nice?
CosplayMagic only has one review on here, but I'd recommend reading it before you order anything from them.

If you do order from them, be sure to post a review yourself!

link

Pending:
Ohayocon 8
Anime St. Louis 2
Anime Central 2008
Anime Iowa 2008
Velvet Wings is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #452
Melchior

Sup Cosplay.com, I should have done this a long time ago but I guess I was hoping this situation would eventually resolve itself.

Name of Commissioner: Fantasy Props
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.fantasyprops.com
Character commissioned: Inuyasha - Sesshoumaru - Full armor set
Links to picture(s): I don't have any (see below)
Timeline:
January 2005: Paid in full for commission ($350), estimated time was under 1 year (ok fine he's backed up)
January 2006: Still no complete commission. Wasn't worried because I was still communicating via e-mail.
May 2006: Still nothing. Mike is no longer replying to emails sent to the address he specified originally. Phone calls are not answered or result in messages not being returned.
January 2007: Nothing. I write it off, for the most part. I tried calling his number, left messages several (at least 3) times, only to never be called back.
February 2007: Requested refund from mike via paypal (the original), since the ability to contest a payment through Paypal itself has long expired. No replies.
March - November 2007: No reply at all. Nothing. Completely wrote it off.
November 2007: In talking with Animeisha, she convinced me to try and get my money back, nearly 3 years after the original commission. Let's see how that works - I still have original e-mails.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. In case the timeline didn't clue you in, this has been a miserable experience for me. It has cost me $350 which I really don't expect to see again. Communication for the first year was acceptable, but excuses regarding delays, plus no actual pictures of progress of my commission should have tipped me off. I wouldn't call this a scam, but if Fantasyprops is supposed to be a business, even a side business, Mike has failed in this rather large transaction in both failing to deliver a product, and then failed again when asked to provide a refund for failure to complete said product in a reasonable time. Finally, he failed a third time in a most spectacular fashion by not responding to any email since May of 2006 (the last of which I sent February 2007, at which point I just gave up.)

Posting in this thread is my only recourse, and frankly I don't expect much to come of it other than hoping that other people do not get burned in the same manner I have. Commissioners live and die by reputation, well Fantasyprops has certainly earned theirs. I gave Mike the benefit of the doubt much longer than just about anyone would have in my situation. Unfortunately I've come to terms with the fact that I was basically scammed and will never see that money, nor the item I commissioned. You always hope that you won't be the person who has to go through something like this, but eventually it will happen when dealing with someone you've never met before.

Final Grade: F - - - - - -, seriously this is total crap and I can't believe that the one person I figured might be a legitimate, trustworthy, reliable commissioner actually pulled this without bothering to ever reply in over two years. I've long since stopped going to any conventions, and this kind of crap is one of the major reasons why. Mike is a talented person and his props are very well made, but I wouldn't know that firsthand since I never actually you know, GOT MY ITEM.
Unread 11-13-2007, 02:51 AM   #453
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated :>
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #454
Ryoko-and-Yami
SO inappropriate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Wings View Post
CosplayMagic only has one review on here, but I'd recommend reading it before you order anything from them.

If you do order from them, be sure to post a review yourself!

link
ooh i didn't know you couldn't ask here. sorry! well the reviews for the costume on ebay were good. so i'll continue to search for reviews

Need a wig styled? Ask me! http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...?product=48369

Currently selling a variety of wigs, costumes, anime, and manga! Check it out! http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...0/ppuser/50381
Ryoko-and-Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:38 AM   #455
baka chan
dojo kitten >^.^<

So, KwEeNofKoRn, did you get the costume yet? A friend of mine is wanting to order a costume from this company, and I'm curious to know how your's came out. I hope it was all you hoped for! (For your sake as well as my friend's.) ^_^
baka chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #456
xxmossgardenxx
Amahime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylovestory View Post
I wouldn't worry about being screwed over by Miyori.
She's a lovely person and did a awesome job when I commissioned her
Well I am going to be honest. The frist version of the tifa outfit I got...was...um I don't even want to say it. But I feel that was half on my part because she only had 2 months to make the outfit. So we are working on it again for march. She just told me at the end of last month that I would have it by december. I have been pacent and have sent 2 messages sence then, but with not reply to either. I know she is busy, but with past experiances I am getting...a little nervous. I know I should trust Miyori...but... >.< gha...

~*Upcoming Con*~
Anime Boston 2014
xxmossgardenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #457
Winter Divinity
夢は永遠に反響する

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifa-chan0980 View Post
I have been pacent and have sent 2 messages sence then, but with not reply to either.
Hey Tifa, I haven't gotten any emails from you. I know others have been having trouble emailing me too, so please PM me asap!

Last edited by Winter Divinity : 11-20-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Winter Divinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:20 PM   #458
xxmossgardenxx
Amahime

^^ Did and I got both of you messages and replied. Thank you so much love ~huggles~

~*Upcoming Con*~
Anime Boston 2014
xxmossgardenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #459
4ng31
meh.

Name of Commissioner: Nugrosjp

Website/C.com gallery : http://www.cosplay1.com

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.) : Ulquiorra Schiffer, Bleach (full costume)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item : None yet (still need a wig)

Timeline (how long your order took to process) Payment sent Sep. 12th, received costume beginning on this month (roughly 2-2 1/2 months).

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. Very good craftsmanship...excellent sewing abilities with Nugro. Fit on the top is perfect (body hugging), and he seems to pay a lot more to detail than I do, as even the pants part of the costume sit at the right level (by the ankles). Although the lower half sits a bit high, it's nothing major and shouldn't take away any points.

Final Grade: A
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:26 AM   #460
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated P:
Unread 12-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #461
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Name of Commissioner: Cosaru

Website/C.com gallery : http://www.cosaru.com

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.) : Chii from Chobits, a headdress, a choker, Two sock stockings, and a frilled skirt.

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item : None yet

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Payment sent in October, and I just got it in the mail today. She has other customers before me, so it is expected, after all, she is good, haha.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: No cons except that she doesn't do custom commissions sadly. :P. Pros are that the craftsmanship is top notch, the fabric feels nice, and twirling around the frilled skirt is amazing (With the petticoat, the poofiness is awesome). She does a fabulous job, and I will go to her again if I need something she can offer.

Final Grade: A+

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Sayoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 03:12 AM   #462
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Oops! Forgot to mention; updated!
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #463
akaisha0
Mmm...waffles.

Company: Limebarb

Company Website: limebarb.com

Character: Shinya (macabre) - Dir en Grey

Links:
http://members.cosplay.com/costume/50177/
http://limebarb.com/commissions/cost...nya/shinya.htm
Note: I'm not wearing the jacket in these pictures! Ack >_< The jacket was MUCH nicer than it looks on the company website.

Timeframe: 2 months

Comments: This was my first order from the limebarb company. I ordered with a due date due in August, which is just after the busy season. I was very very happy with the results EXCEPT for the wig. I was not overly fond of the wig (and you can't wash them! The color runs). The outfit itself was amazing and, despite the high $$$, it was worth every penny. I regret that I don't have better shots of it. The only con (besides the wig) was that this costume arrived the DAY of the con, instead of my due date (...the day before >_>). Barb was very understanding and I received a discount on my next purchase. If you decide to order from the Limebarb company, ORDER WITH A DUE DATE IN ADVANCE. I can't stress that enough.

Final Grade: A

---

Review #2:

Still Limebarb.

Character: Warrior Rikku FFX-2 (full costume+sword)

Time Frame: 3.5 months

Links:
http://limebarb.com/commissions/cost...rior-rikku.htm
Note: They do not yet have pictures of me in the outfit >_< The customer featured is NOT me.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...t=IMG_2711.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...a/IMG_2653.jpg

Comments: Well, I bought this for prom. It was shipped in two stages at my request--the sword came about half a month later. My costume arrived the day after the due date due to the mail system but this time I was not reimbursed. The outfit was horribly missized (a common issue for form fitting costumes) and it took a good month of MAJOR modifications to fix it. Barb did offer to take it back in and fix the errors (even after I kept changing the due date) but I decided to do it myself. Very well-made, and overall a great costume. The sword was wonderfully constructed though it seemed a tad bit more rushed than I was happy with for a slightly lower-quality finish. I was also not happy with the wig and did make a complaint about it, but Barb assured me the wig is no different than her own (but I'm still not hapy with it, though it suffices). Shipping near destroyed the wig, however. My previous costume was shipped with room to spare, but this outfit was crammed into a box far too small. I had to do a lot to restyle and detangle the wig. The detailing on my shoes is also beginning to fall apart after only 3 wears. However, it's easily fixed with some glue--Barb included some mixed paint to touch up the brown on my shoes in case of chipping. Still haven't needed it.

Final Grade: B
akaisha0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #464
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

@akaisha
I take it that's the unaltered Warrior Rikku costume in your last picture, i.e. the way it was delivered to you? (Does indeed look like it's made for Spongebob Squarepants)

Last edited by Kukkii-san : 12-10-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2007, 03:44 AM   #465
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!